Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 am 

Sorry, I thought my previous post was the very epitome of useless knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:02 am 

have we just unearthed some buried and archaic form of bottom tier useless knowledge?!!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:53 am 

A human head weighs 8lbs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:44 am 

I'm obviously going to have to get a dog to find out whether this is true...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:46 am 

BBP wrote:
Jellyfish have been around for 500 million to 700 million years. They're the oldest multi organ animal group.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 pm 

^nice
kinda mesmerizing, I'll try it on Donald :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 am 

The "Wicked Bible" was published in 1631 by Robert Barker and Martin Lucas. Only 11 copies are known today, since they were immediately recalled after it was found they'd made a mistake:
They'd left out the word "not" in the 7th commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:30 am 

So you buy the good one right? A little more expensive, but works better, sounds better, last's longer, etc...

Well, I always thought that, and maybe it's usually true...but it appears batteries are an exception, or a scam...

This guy tested batteries with six identical fans, which he also swapped around during the testing to factor out if any differences in the fans.

He put them in 2 groups, cheap-o batteries, and expensive batteries, (the CVS ones omit from the results as they were way overpriced which he explained in the video).

As expected, the expensive batteries lasted waaaay longer....
BUT their cost per hour was waaay more than the extra time you get out of them.

You'll have to change cheaper batteries more often, but they are waaaay cheaper to run.

I use an MD player on my bike every day, so natch I bought the expensive the Energizer lithium...big mistake I need the cheapo Sunbeams ...preferably in a 92 pack, or 'specially if they have 'em at the Dollar Store...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... XZGRB6HYK7

MORE..

Here's also a really good page: http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html

mAh vs mWh – the difference

The majority of batteries which have a rating (such as rechargeables) are rated in milliamp-hours, or mAh. 1000 mAh represents the equivalent energy load of 1000 milliamps applied for one hour. However, the issue with mAh is it fails to account for falling battery voltage. In general, a digital camera will use a switching converter, which will get more life with a higher mWh battery. But a torch, toy or similar device is fairly independent of voltage, and will last longer with a higher mAh battery. We provide both in the results tables so they can be compared.

Analysis

Discount and OEM cells perform very well

Surprisingly, as in the 200mA test, the clear winner in this test was the Ikea alkaline, followed by other discount store batteries. The Ikea scored over 1200mAh, and costs just 10p per cell (sold in packs of 10.) Other discount shop cells did surprisingly well, with ReadyCell from Home Bargains (TJ Morris) doing very well too. Even at higher cut-off voltages of 1.1V, they still represent excellent value for money. The general conclusion is that most alkaline cells behave similarly to each other, though under higher drains some more significant differences become apparent.

Duracell PROCELL and Energizer Industrial are very good batteries for the price and compare well to their retail cousins. However, they are only available from online resellers in boxes of 10 and are intended for OEMs.

Lithium cells really shine under high drain

The Energizer Ultimate Lithium and VARTA Professional Lithium cells performed very well, achieving more than 2800 mAh each with the Energizer beating the VARTA cell by approximately 150mAh. Clearly, these batteries perform very well under high discharge current - they only lost around 250mAh capacity due to the higher current. At this discharge current these lithium cells seem like better value for money but still cost more than the cheaper alkalines. They could be useful in a digital camera application as changing batteries may cause the photographer to lose a shot. They are much cheaper per Ah and Wh than many premium alkaline cells.

Highest energy alkaline in both tests

Like in the 200mA test, the VARTA High Energy Alkaline was the best performing alkaline cell and bore its claims of being very long life. However, it provided only marginally more lifetime than the Energizer Industrial cell for 2x the price.

Notable disappointments

Zinc cells did very poorly, but this was expected as the chemistry is not optimised for high drain applications. The JCB cell didn't even manage 20mAh. It would probably not power anything demanding any significant current, due to its discharge characteristic, which rapidly falls past the 0.8V cut-off point. However, it is marketed as "Not suitable for digital cameras or motorised devices." Interestingly, self-heating of the cell lead to an increase in voltage as the discharge progressed, but data below 0.8V is not included in the mAh calculation. The Kodak cell has a similar disclaimer, although it did do a little better, it's still unlikely to work well.

The Poundland Duracell (genuine Duracell batteries; Duracell Standard in the below data) performed poorly (they are sold in twin packs for £1), and you would be better off with the Kodak Xtralife that Poundland also sell in 6 packs.

It's hard to see how Duracell can market their Duracell Ultra Power battery as being the best they have made, especially at the price it is sold at, because it performed worse in both 200mA and 1000mA tests than their own Duracell Plus Power - which is 31p a battery cheaper! Like in the 200mA test, the Duracell Ultra Power is the worst value for money alkaline battery we tested.

Similar to the last test the major disappointment was the Panasonic EVOLTA. It claims Panasonic's own "Platinum Award" (for unknown reasons), and previously claims to hold a Guinness World Record for "Longest Lasting AA Alkaline Battery in a Wide Range of Devices", but it was the worst alkaline cell we tested. We can't account for this dreadful performance: the cells were new in the retail packet, with an expiry date of Feburary 2018 (test conducted October 2012), and were purchased from a reputable dealer. Is it all marketing hype?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:35 pm 

^ Now try to work damage to the environment into that calculation.

The infamous Minuet in G Major is usually attributed to J.S. Bach on CDs, but it's actually been attributed to Christian Petzold since the 1960s.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:47 am 

BBP wrote:
^ Now try to work damage to the environment into that calculation.

Good point :)

That's easy, don't let them get into the environment [land fill]. As with reclaiming for materials in aluminum, plastics, etc., recycle :)

Here in the US you can take them to multiple places such as the police station (my choice), the transfer station, some battery manufacturers, or even some local people collect them to make money off recycling them for the materials in them, (or for re-use as in cell phone batteries), :)

About ten years of my batteries, they add up!
...another random thought...if you took 10 years of batteries each, from the 75, 000 people in my town... that's a big pile, 150, 000 bags :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:28 pm 

Even if you recycle them there is still a considerable amount of environmental damage - alkaline batteries being one of the most nasty ones since they contain mercury. Rechargeables are better for the environment and cheaper in the long run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:31 pm 

One of the most incredible artworks in the Rijksmuseum is the Memorial Guild Cup by Adam van Vianen. It's so abstract it's hard to believe it's from 1614.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_ ... van_Vianen)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am 

From Wikipedia about bruises:

Folk medicine, including ancient medicine of Egyptians, Greeks, Celts, Turks, Slavs, Mayans, Aztecs and Chinese, has used bruising as a treatment for some health problems. The methods vary widely and include cupping, scraping, and slapping. Fire cupping uses suction which causes bruising in patients. Scraping (Gua Sha) uses a small hand device with a rounded edge to gently scrape the scalp or the skin. Another ancient device that creates mild bruising is a strigil, used by Greeks and Romans in the bath. Archaeologically there is no precedent for scraping tools before Greek archaeological evidence, not Chinese or Egyptian.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:13 am 

BBP wrote:
Even if you recycle them there is still a considerable amount of environmental damage - alkaline batteries being one of the most nasty ones since they contain mercury. Rechargeables are better for the environment and cheaper in the long run.

Here in the US we banned mercury in batteries in the 1990's, best place to get it now is fish.

I guess there's trade off's too, as more efficient metals can be harder to mine, but it's cheaper to get materials from old batteries, so we have some pretty good recycling programs in the US.

Thanks for the reminder on rechargables... I found my MD player will work on the new Li-ion's, (the Ni-mh rechargables I tried years ago suffered from memory failure, run out of music an hour from home ...on a fresh charge).

A few years ago I bought this Li-ion headlight for $185, and it's $89 now, a huge drop in Li-ion price in recent years.

So I checked on these Li-ion AA's, and found their price dropped too, and they work quite well, the first one just went a month on one charge, and they won't quickly become useless from memory failure like the old Ni-mh's.

So now the bike is completely converted, lights and music...thanks for the tip :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 am 

Today, I learned that although Rod Serling was host, writer and creative consultant for "Night Gallery" (1969-73) he was trapped in a sense because he was always at odds with the producer of the show over episodes that he strongly felt shouldn't have aired. He wasn't consulted much.

He figured that he was entering this new show partially because of the success of his creation "The Twilight Zone" a program which he had complete creative control. That wasn't the case and he was trapped by his contract :x .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 pm 

BBP wrote:
One of the most incredible artworks in the Rijksmuseum is the Memorial Guild Cup by Adam van Vianen. It's so abstract it's hard to believe it's from 1614.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_ ... van_Vianen)

Drugs....................
Made in Amsterdam, things don't change :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:15 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Realized that millennials really are a generation of wussies & can't take criticism.

My nephew -he's in his 20s- can't take any gentle mocking, ribbing or ruffling of his feathers. Uncle Milt is just a big meanie :lol:
Rick McKee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:17 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm 

The "oriental riff" we associate with East-Asian music (it can be heard at the start of Kung Fu Fighting, for instance, and as a quote in Cheepnis) originates in the US. The first appearance rhythmically is in an 1850s show called Alladdin.

http://chinoiserie.atspace.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:33 am 

Learned that the ancient Chinese believed that the earth was square and the heavens were round. Also learned how to use chopsticks efficiently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 am 

Today I learned about the soldier who received seven purple hearts, more than any living soldier.

https://donmooreswartales.com/2015/05/13/randy-mcconnell/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 pm 

Robin Williams, Jonathan Williams & Park Overall on Johnny Carson :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 pm 

baddy wrote:
BBP wrote:

Here in the US we banned mercury in batteries in the 1990's, best place to get it now is fish.

I guess there's trade off's too, as more efficient metals can be harder to mine, but it's cheaper to get materials from old batteries, so we have some pretty good recycling programs in the US.

Thanks for the reminder on rechargables... I found my MD player will work on the new Li-ion's, (the Ni-mh rechargables I tried years ago suffered from memory failure, run out of music an hour from home ...on a fresh charge).

A few years ago I bought this Li-ion headlight for $185, and it's $89 now, a huge drop in Li-ion price in recent years.

So I checked on these Li-ion AA's, and found their price dropped too, and they work quite well, the first one just went a month on one charge, and they won't quickly become useless from memory failure like the old Ni-mh's.

So now the bike is completely converted, lights and music...thanks for the tip :)

Something to keep in mind baddy abt those Li-ion batts: they stay toxic a really long time. And can spontaneously start fires!
https://greencitizen.com/recycling-lithium-ion-batteries/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 pm 

I guess you CAN just make this essay writing thing up...

Hey Mikey!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 am 

A gymball with diameter of 75 cm can take around 9500 kg of weight before it bursts!
Starts at 1:30:00 in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6uNez6LR8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next