Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm 

I feel I used to know this,however, I'm a blank.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:04 am 

Miles Davis perhaps
or Michael Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
In 1984 Sony Sold two of it's brand new space age PCM Digital tape recorders in the US. One was owned by Frank Zappa. The other was ownd by ….
you get two guesses.

Public Image Ltd?
Kraftwerk?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
In 1984 Sony Sold two of it's brand new space age PCM Digital tape recorders in the US. One was owned by Frank Zappa. The other was ownd by ….
you get two guesses.

And The Answer is !........Nile Rodgers. This story "word for word" was in this month's MOJO Magazine. This quote is from INTERVIEW Magazine November 6, 2013. I guess Nile tells that story often, or the Mojo interviewer was lazy. You decide.

EHRLICH: You crossed paths with Sinatra again later, right?

RODGERS: Quincy Jones was producing a record for him, and Quincy had decided that he wanted to take a leap into the digital age and record on a Sony digital tape recorder. At that time, the only two people in America who owned them were Frank Zappa and myself. They asked Frank Zappa, who was closer to them in L.A., and I guess Zappa said no, so they asked me. I said, “Absolutely.” So they came and recorded on my tape recorder, and I’m standing in the room—I’m sure that Mr. Sinatra thought I was an assistant engineer or something. So I said, “Mr. Sinatra, I don’t know if you remember me, but I’m Pud.” And he looked at me and went, “Wow, Pud. What are you doing here?” I said, “Well, the tape recorder you’re using—that’s my tape recorder.” And he says, “What do you mean that’s your tape recorder?” I said, “I’m the biggest record producer in the world.” And Mr. Sinatra said, “I thought Quincy was the biggest record producer in the world.” And I went, “No. That was last year.” [laughs]

https://sabotagetimes.com/music/acid-sinatra-and-sesame-street-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-nile-rodgers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

>clap clap clap<
makes sense!
thanks Arcadian_2 !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm 

My guess it is one of the digital recording consoles that were sold for mere U$ 400 in last year's auction...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
you get two guesses.

And The Answer is !........Nile Rodgers. This story "word for word" was in this month's MOJO Magazine. This quote is from INTERVIEW Magazine November 6, 2013. I guess Nile tells that story often, or the Mojo interviewer was lazy. You decide.

RODGERS: Quincy Jones was producing a record for him, and Quincy had decided that he wanted to take a leap into the digital age and record on a Sony digital tape recorder. At that time, the only two people in America who owned them were Frank Zappa and myself. They asked Frank Zappa, who was closer to them in L.A., and I guess Zappa said no, so they asked me. I said, “Absolutely.” So they came and recorded on my tape recorder, and I’m standing in the room—I’m sure that Mr. Sinatra thought I was an assistant engineer or something. So I said, “Mr. Sinatra, I don’t know if you remember me, but I’m Pud.” And he looked at me and went, “Wow, Pud. What are you doing here?” I said, “Well, the tape recorder you’re using—that’s my tape recorder.” And he says, “What do you mean that’s your tape recorder?” I said, “I’m the biggest record producer in the world.” And Mr. Sinatra said, “I thought Quincy was the biggest record producer in the world.” And I went, “No. That was last year.” [laughs]

https://sabotagetimes.com/music/acid-sinatra-and-sesame-street-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-nile-rodgers

I should have known ,I read Niles' autobiography recently and it is well worth a look . He had a bad start in life to put it mildly .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:59 am 

tinkamok wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
you get two guesses.

I should have known ,I read Niles' autobiography recently and it is well worth a look . He had a bad start in life to put it mildly .

No shit ! Both his parents were junkies. In 1983 he also owned a Synclavier which he used on Madonna's Like a Virgin album. Disco still sucks though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:31 am 

Learnt that the English term for "kruisgewelf" is "groin vault."

And then I had to try not to giggle in church.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm 

Learnt about the existence of Qgoogle, I hope blocking this site is the new key to getting rid of Recommended For You.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:16 am 

The opening lines of the Mr Bean theme song are: "Ecce homo qui est faba", or "Behold the man who is a bean."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 am 

BBP wrote:
The opening lines of the Mr Bean theme song are: "Ecce homo qui est faba", or "Behold the man who is a bean."

:D :D :D :D :D

Yeah - human beans !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 pm 

QUESTION: I know for many years the Democrats have been represented with the symbol of a donkey, and the Republicans an elephant. What is the history behind these choices, and were they made at the same time? Did each group choose its own animal and promote it, or was it something that became common from press coverage, like the colors red and blue?

The donkey came first. When Andrew Jackson, who was a little rough around the edges, ran for president, his foes attempted to portray him as a donkey. Jackson actually decided he kind of liked the comparison, since donkeys are tough and hardworking and so forth. So he appropriated it (in much the same way that the generation immediately before him appropriated the originally defamatory "Yankee Doodle"). And after Jackson, every Democrat for generations claimed to be an incarnation of him, so they all embraced the donkey, too.

The elephant became the GOP counterpart thanks to the work of one man (and, really, one cartoon by that man). That man is Thomas Nast, the legendary political cartoonist of the Gilded Age, and someone who has a strong case as the most influential American artist of all time. His drawings, published in Harper's Weekly and other publications, shaped elections for decades. Here's the 1874 cartoon where he created the Republican elephant:

The notion stuck very fast, and it's been the elephant and the donkey ever since. Though it should be noted that local branches of the parties sometimes had their own animal symbol. In Louisiana, for example, the Democrats were associated with a rooster for many years, and in New York (particularly NYC) it was a tiger.

Incidentally, Nast is also known for "creating" another famous character. Here is that drawing:

Santa predates Nast by a fair bit (500-1500 years, depending on your interpretation), but he didn't really begin to get popular in America until the latter part of the 19th century. So it was up to Nast to determine the "look" of Mr. Claus, with the rosy cheeks and beard and red suit and black belt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm 

Wombats produce cube-shaped poop. Scientists have discovered this is because the last 8& of the intestine, when the feces becomes a solid, doesn't stretch evenly.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/19/aust ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm 

I really miss JaypFunk!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm 

^Put out an add for a "snotty boy" drummer. He'll call. I swear!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:

Perhaps it's time to calibrate your rifle sights.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:

hahaaa, cube-shaped poop reminded you of jayp.
but... really, i've noticed that you keep tearing up over his absence. why oh why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 am 

Musta been that cube shaped poop!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:40 am 

As you may recall this is a useless knowledge topic, I'd appreciate it if you could keep your bickering out of it.

Jellyfish have been around for 500 million to 700 million years. They're the oldest multi organ animal group.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:51 pm 

Hi Bonny!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 am 

BBP wrote:
As you may recall this is a useless knowledge topic

good point... because galoot and i really were getting waaaay too useful in the knowledge department.
not only that, don't you have me on ignore? (don't answer that one - if you do),
and not only that^ that, you should probably put galoot on ignore (too?).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:46 am 

Time doesn't heal all wounds.......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:08 am 

don't fret, jayp will be back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 am 

Today I learned just how slowly and thoughtfully I had to get out of bed. Y'see I did some heavy lifting yesterday and I'm feeling it today in my lower back :mrgreen: Sneezing is something I don't look forward to in this condition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next