Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:02 pm 

Grey_Ghost, you're gonna have to start letting go of summer, the days started getting longer up here. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:41 pm 

baddy wrote:
Grey_Ghost, you're gonna have to start letting go of summer, the days started getting longer up here. 8)

no way José, we have reached nudist temperatures.....I'm not letting go! Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 am 

Oh but think of how good those nipples will look in the cold :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:47 am 

baddy wrote:
Oh but think of how good those nipples will look in the cold :)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am 

Why We Can't Have Nice Things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wls1d0ovH4M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am 

This morning, as I gathered my change to go shopping, I noticed what appeared to be a foreign coin about the size of a quarter. Closer examination revealed it to be a James Monroe Presidential $1 Coin. It was issued in 2008. I wasn’t even aware of their existence. To give you an idea of its actual size, if you laid a quarter on top of it, all you would see is the outer rim of the Monroe dollar.

Be careful when you check your change! 8)

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/presidential-dollar-coin/james-monroe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 am 

The song Mah Na Mah Na originates from an Italian film called Sweden, Heaven And Hell (orig. "Svezia, inferno e paradiso," ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoheVioD3Bg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 am 

Most lightning is negatively charged, but especially in winter, positively charged lightning can occur. It's much louder, much brighter, and occurs isolated.

As I learnt by many people panicking and calling the police when a loud boom was heard near me at around 7PM last night.

The place with the most lightning in the world is the village Kifuka in the mountains of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 am 

Realized that millennials really are a generation of wussies & can't take criticism.

My nephew -he's in his 20s- can't take any gentle mocking, ribbing or ruffling of his feathers. Uncle Milt is just a big meanie :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:48 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
... Uncle Milt is just a big meanie :lol:

"What did you kids do with the old man's eardrops!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 am 

The Bajau people of the Pacific intentionally rupture their eardrums at an early age to facilitate diving and hunting at sea. Many older Bajau therefore have difficulties hearing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am 

At noon today in West Hollywood, at the Roxy Theater, Cheech & Chong will be awarded the Key To The City. It's the 40th anniv. of Up In Smoke! Had I known this yesterday I may have called out to attend.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:25 pm 

I've made my own agendas since high school.

Colleague of mine asks me about it. Turns out something like that is nowadays called "bullit diary" and she makes money doing workshops about bullit diaries.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 am 

Bee-n and gone: How the shelfs in your supermarket would look like without the existence of bees:
https://www.thelocal.de/20180515/hanover-shop-empties-shelves-of-bee-pollinated-products
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm 

There's a horror scenario lived out daily in the United States - theme parks with queues of three hours or more. "Luckily" there's something called a Fast Pass that allows you to skip a line.

It doesn't require advanced mathematics to see that the waiting time skipped by those with fast passes, has to be "waited" by the poor souls in the queue.
Mathematician Wouter Rogiest attempted to calculate the phenomenon, published in an article in Eos. To what degree the pass has effect is hard to predict: not every attraction is as popular as another, people aren't as likely to join a line when the queue is long, etc.
But he found that the increase of waiting time is stronger than to be expected based on the numbers.
If 10% of visitors have a fast pass, the waiting time increases by 10% for the passless.
If a third of visitors have a fast pass, the waiting time increases by 46% for the passless.
If half of visitors have a fast pass, the waiting time increases by 99%.

Sooo.. is the three hour queue caused by the fast pass?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am 

World's Oldest Customer Complaint Goes Viral

A 3,800-year-old Babylonian tablet from the ancient Sumerian city-state of Ur in Mesopotamia—now Tell el-Muqayyar—is the oldest documented customer complaint known to man.

In the clay tablet, a man named Nanni whined to merchant Ea-nasir about how he was delivered the wrong grade of cooper ore. “How have you treated me for that copper?” he wrote. “You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore [my money] to me in full.”

The message was written in the Akkadian language, an extinct East Semitic language that was spoken in ancient Mesopotamia from the 30th century B.C.E. until it was replaced. The tablet is currently sitting at the British Museum in London.

Quartz rightfully points out that “the amount of effort required to make it gets across the magnitude of Nanni’s grievance.”

Earlier this week, pictures of the tablet resurfaced on Reddit and it has since gone viral, with over 64,000 upvotes and over 1,000 comments. A user of the website posted a translation of the language by the Assyriologist A. Leo Oppenheim. It is unknown whether Nanni’s complaint was ever resolved.

Full transcription of the tablet:

Quote:
"When you came, you said to me as follows : 'I will give Gimil-Sin (when he comes) fine quality copper ingots.' You left then but you did not do what you promised me. You put ingots which were not good before my messenger (Sit-Sin) and said: 'If you want to take them, take them; if you do not want to take them, go away!'

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt? I have sent as messengers gentlemen like ourselves to collect the bag with my money (deposited with you) but you have treated me with contempt by sending them back to me empty-handed several times, and that through enemy territory. Is there anyone among the merchants who trade with Telmun who has treated me in this way? You alone treat my messenger with contempt! On account of that one (trifling) mina of silver which I owe(?) you, you feel free to speak in such a way, while I have given to the palace on your behalf 1,080 pounds of copper, and umi-abum has likewise given 1,080 pounds of copper, apart from what we both have had written on a sealed tablet to be kept in the temple of Samas.

How have you treated me for that copper? You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore (my money) to me in full.

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
World's Oldest Customer Complaint Goes Viral

A 3,800-year-old Babylonian tablet from the ancient Sumerian city-state of Ur in Mesopotamia—now Tell el-Muqayyar—is the oldest documented customer complaint known to man.

In the clay tablet, a man named Nanni whined to merchant Ea-nasir about how he was delivered the wrong grade of cooper ore. “How have you treated me for that copper?” he wrote. “You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore [my money] to me in full.”

The message was written in the Akkadian language, an extinct East Semitic language that was spoken in ancient Mesopotamia from the 30th century B.C.E. until it was replaced. The tablet is currently sitting at the British Museum in London.

Quartz rightfully points out that “the amount of effort required to make it gets across the magnitude of Nanni’s grievance.”

Earlier this week, pictures of the tablet resurfaced on Reddit and it has since gone viral, with over 64,000 upvotes and over 1,000 comments. A user of the website posted a translation of the language by the Assyriologist A. Leo Oppenheim. It is unknown whether Nanni’s complaint was ever resolved.

Full transcription of the tablet:

Quote:
"When you came, you said to me as follows : 'I will give Gimil-Sin (when he comes) fine quality copper ingots.' You left then but you did not do what you promised me. You put ingots which were not good before my messenger (Sit-Sin) and said: 'If you want to take them, take them; if you do not want to take them, go away!'

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt? I have sent as messengers gentlemen like ourselves to collect the bag with my money (deposited with you) but you have treated me with contempt by sending them back to me empty-handed several times, and that through enemy territory. Is there anyone among the merchants who trade with Telmun who has treated me in this way? You alone treat my messenger with contempt! On account of that one (trifling) mina of silver which I owe(?) you, you feel free to speak in such a way, while I have given to the palace on your behalf 1,080 pounds of copper, and umi-abum has likewise given 1,080 pounds of copper, apart from what we both have had written on a sealed tablet to be kept in the temple of Samas.

How have you treated me for that copper? You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore (my money) to me in full.

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt."

Yep!

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Complaint tablet to Ea-nasir

"a complaint letter to a merchant named Ea-nasir from a customer named Nanni. Written in cuneiform, it is considered to be the oldest known written complaint"

"The tablet dates from 1750 BCE. It is 11.6 centimetres (4.6 in) high, 5 centimetres (2.0 in) wide, 2.6 centimetres (1.0 in) thick, and slightly damaged."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complaint_tablet_to_Ea-nasir

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?p=753644#p753644

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:23 am 

Both very interesting posts. I always found the story of the translation of Linear B (an ancient Mycenian language) funny, too.

Written on clay tablets, this is one of the earliest Greek scripts and had baffled scholars for years. There were many attempted translations, the most interesting by one Florence Stawell who managed to produce an epic Homeric poem, which she claimed was a translation of the tablets.

Michael Ventris eventually deciphered them correctly in the early 1950s, only to find that they consisted of inventories of store houses in palaces.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:37 pm 

My ancient Greece history teacher told class once that there are still people who believe hieroglyphs are basically all about birds flying across the water - interpreting it like a giant comic rather than an alphabet.

Did somebody translate Linear A yet?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:03 pm 

BBP wrote:
My ancient Greece history teacher told class once that there are still people who believe hieroglyphs are basically all about birds flying across the water - interpreting it like a giant comic rather than an alphabet.

Did somebody translate Linear A yet?

fake News it all birds Donald told me so

and also flat tablet = flat earth :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 am 

In 1984 Sony Sold two of it's brand new space age PCM Digital tape recorders in the US. One was owned by Frank Zappa. The other was ownd by ….
you get two guesses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm 

Todd Rundgren? Andy

or Donald Fagen? Rikki Don't Lose That Number lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
In 1984 Sony Sold two of it's brand new space age PCM Digital tape recorders in the US. One was owned by Frank Zappa. The other was ownd by ….
you get two guesses.

The Grateful Dead?
David Bowie?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

Eno? Fripp?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm 

Prince?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next