Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just saw Tool....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:10 pm 

Hi people, just came back from seeing Tool in Ahoy, Rotterdam.
Well well, what can I say, the show was AMAZING!!!!!
After 45 minutes of a cacophonic blur going by the name of Mastodon (some good moments, but Death Metal-like and that's not my thing) Tool took the crowd by storm with Stinkfist. It started with a swelling noise (unlike the intro on the Ænima album) and then the main killer riff combined with (a masked) Maynard's crazy movements made sure that TOOL WAS IN THE HOUSE! They added some extra stuff in the middle, which was great. They did this with several songs, though, even up to adding a thrashmetal-bit into Schism, which was pretty cool. It really lifted the songs to a higher degree. I really could explain each song they played, but it's useless because the setlist only consisted of highlights. There were no weaker spots and the visuals were absolutely incredible. Each song was decorated with screened visuals of spirals, rotating eyes, changing faces, apocalyptic colours, bright blue with white lines, blurring images, images of clips and even a loop of an eye being zoomed in to reveal the same eye and on and on. When they played Lateralus there even were bright, sharp, green spots shining through the hall and there were spirals inbetween them 8) 8) 8)

I don't have an exact setlist yet, but I'll list what they've played from the albums:

Opiate - nothing
Undertow - Sober
Ænima - Stinkfist, Forty-Six & 2, Ænema
Lateralus - Schism, Lateralus
10.000 Days - Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned.

I'll add available pictures later.

It also was lovely how they constructed the setlist. Other, 'normal' bands always play the first set, then they disappear (Oooh! What are they gonna do now??), then they do the first encore and disappear again ('ooh, hear the ego-straddling 'We want more!-chant!!') , then they come back again for the 2nd encore up until the 'big goodbye-hit'.
Tool, however, doesn't give a fucking fuck about all that cliche'd, predictable shit and instead just sit down onstage for a few minutes having a little chat with a drink. On one occasion (I believe) Danny Carey lifted up his lighter and everyone in the audience responded with it, which was cool. Inbetween the last few songs Maynard told us they would 'come back next summer'!

Well, Tool, I WILL SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:41 pm 

Sounds great. I"d love to see Tool live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:44 pm 
Banned

Great music for happy people who like to delve into depression from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:12 am 

Looks like the boys were on last night :) I've never seen them but I want to. Looks like your cat's still rockin' out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:07 am 

Talking of Tool, I only have 10,000 Days... Could someone with both Aenima and Lateralus explain the differences in style between the two albums. I'm never quite sure which I should be looking to purchase next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:35 pm 

king wrote:
Talking of Tool, I only have 10,000 Days... Could someone with both Aenima and Lateralus explain the differences in style between the two albums. I'm never quite sure which I should be looking to purchase next.

Undertow :D

It's very different from the later three, (which imho bear a lot of similarity to each other). "Opiate's" a favorite too, but it's a live and "alternates" thing.

Here's samples from Undertow, I like it a lot, personally(:
http://www.amazon.com/Undertow-Tool/dp/ ... F8&s=music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 pm 

Opiate isn't a rarities EP. It stands on it's own as their first realized recording and serves pretty much as their 'debut' thing.
Whatever it is, it's pretty impressive by anyone's standards. I rate it as perhaps the best EP ever (it has heavy competition from the Kyuss/QOTSA EP).

Undertow is the one you should begin with. Buying their stuff that way gives you a better picture of the evolution in their sound, plus it's a heavy motherfucker too! 8) After that, continue with the other albums and buy Opiate along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:02 pm 

i have Laterlus and it's held to be this amazing epic album, but i think it's just dreary and unmemorable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:15 pm 

Son Of Willie The Pimp wrote:
Opiate isn't a rarities EP. It stands on it's own as their first realized recording and serves pretty much as their 'debut' thing.
Whatever it is, it's pretty impressive by anyone's standards. I rate it as perhaps the best EP ever (it has heavy competition from the Kyuss/QOTSA EP).

Undertow is the one you should begin with. Buying their stuff that way gives you a better picture of the evolution in their sound, plus it's a heavy motherfucker too! 8) After that, continue with the other albums and buy Opiate along the way.

No kiddin, I thought because it was so short and with the live cuts, it came after. That one and Undertow are my favorites, they're more "raw." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:50 pm 

baddy wrote:

No kiddin, I thought because it was so short and with the live cuts, it came after. That one and Undertow are my favorites, they're more "raw." :)

Nope, it has 4 songs recorded in 1992 and 2 live songs they had in the can and those were recorded on New Years Eve 1991. When it was released they already were in the midst of writing and recording Undertow, and that one only appeared 6 months after...
Must've been a good time for the early Tool follower! 8)

To Timm0: First give a listen to this and you might appreciate Lateralus somewhat more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:19 am 

Thanks for the advice, baddy and SOWTP :)

Post subject: Re: Just saw Tool....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:38 am 
Banned

Hi people, just came back from seeing Tool in Ahoy, Rotterdam.
Well well, what can I say, the show was AMAZING!!!!!

You should see my TOOL!!! :twisted:

:twisted: HAIL AMNERIKA!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 am 

I only have Lateralus and 10,000.....Overall I think 10,000 is the better record, and what Ive heard of their earlier records, I didnt really like. I found it all a little too obvious, but they really stretch out on their new album......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:42 pm 

Mastodon. They are cool guys, they were on Relapse Records for a few before Warner signed them( yea Warner I know :roll: ). Now they tour w\ Tool. Sweet deal if you ask me. My bass player knows the webmaster of the band's website totaly cool dood (he JUST added me to his MSN IM LOL.), big Zappa fan to as well. \m/8)\m/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:57 pm 

You lucky bawstawd.

Friend of mine saw them recently as well. He was pretty blown away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:49 pm 

timm0 wrote:
i have Laterlus and it's held to be this amazing epic album, but i think it's just dreary and unmemorable!

Did we ask you?

Oh wait, I've never heard Tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:28 pm 

timm0 wrote:

I wouldnt say that. It is a good album, it just takes a while, and for some reason, some listens are more rewarding than others....Or that could just be me. I played it the other day nad really enjoyed it.....

Truth be told, I am pretty pissed off that Im not seeing them with Mastodon, cos it would rock, both bands being great. But hey, its at Wembley, and most of the time, gigs are shite there....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:30 am 

If you did recently, you might have coronavirus:

TOOL Fan Confirmed To Have Coronavirus Attended Concert, Possibly Exposing Others
Posted by Robert Pasbani on March 5, 2020 at 9:07 pm

https://metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/fan-confirmed-to-have-coronavirus-attended-tool-concert-in-new-zealand-possibly-exposing-others

An Auckland, New Zealand man who was diagnosed with the coronavirus attended a Tool concert last Friday, February 28th.

The New Zealand Herald reports this man has already been in self-isolation since Wednesday, March 4th. He is being treated by health officials and does not require hospital care.

He was in attendance at the Spark Arena last Friday, in the general admission area in the front-left hand corner according to the report. And, while local officials stress the risk is very low for most people who attended the concert, they advise people standing in that area to get tested.

"We encourage all people in the area of the concert to be aware of the symptoms and contact the Healthline if concerned," Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said.

"The advice is that the risk is very low for all others who attended this concert."

Bloomfield added that casual contacts could be in the hundreds. "There was no way of tracking the people who were in that area of the concert, they are classed as causal contacts and the advise to them is to call Healthline if they have any symptoms. The people we are focused on tracking down the close contacts and health officials have been in touch with all those people," he said.

The CDC notes that COVID-19, or coronavirs, spreads "between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)." or "through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes." The CDC says people are most contagious when they are the sickest, although there are some reports that "some spread might be possible before people show symptoms." Just remember to keep washing your hands and avoiding your face.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 am 

Tool Postpone Eugene, OR Show Due To Coronavirus Restrictions

https://www.theprp.com/2020/03/12/news/tool-postpone-eugene-or-show-due-to-coronavirus-restrictions/
Mar 12th, 2020 - 1:27pm Posted by wookubus

Tool have announced that their planned show tonight, March 12th, in Eugene, Oregon has been postponed as a result of state-wide regulations set on gathering sizes in the wake of Coronavirus restrictions. The band commented:

“Tonight’s TOOL concert in EUGENE, OREGON has been postponed due to the restriction on group gatherings of over 250 people that is now effective per the state of Oregon’s announcement late last night. The band was eager to play this show and are working to reschedule it. The remainder of the previously announced North American tour dates are currently unaffected.”
The band’s North American tour plans include:

With Author & Punisher:

03/14 Boise, ID – Ford Idaho Center Arena (tickets)
03/16 Salt Lake City, UT – Maverik Center (tickets)

With Blonde Redhead:

04/16 Miami, FL – American Airlines Arena (tickets)
04/17 Orlando, FL – Amway Center (tickets)
04/19 Tampa, FL – Amalie Arena (tickets)
04/21 Charlotte, NC – Spectrum Center (tickets)
04/22 Charlottesville, VA – John Paul Jones Arena (tickets)
04/24 Baltimore, MD – Royal Farms Arena (tickets)
04/25 Uniondale, NY – Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (tickets)
04/28 Montreal, QC – Bell Centre (tickets)
04/29 Quebec City, QC – Videotron Centre (tickets)
05/01 Wilkes Barre, PA – Mohegan Sun Arena (tickets)
05/02 Buffalo, NY – KeyBank Centre
05/04 Toledo, OH – Huntington Center (tickets)
05/05 Grand Rapids, MI – Van Andel Arena (tickets)

With The Acid Helps:

05/29 Tacoma, WA – Tacoma Dome (tickets)
05/31 Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena (tickets)
06/02 Edmonton, AB – Rogers Place (tickets)
06/04 Winnipeg, MB – Bell MTS Place (tickets)
06/06 Minneapolis, MN – Target Center
06/07 Sioux Falls, SD – Denny Sanford Premier Center (tickets)
06/09 Madison, WI – Kohl Center (tickets)
06/10 Moline, IL – TaxSlayer Center
06/12 Manchester, TN – Bonnaroo Festival (no The Acid Helps)
06/13 St. Louis, MO – Enterprise Center (tickets)
06/16 Wichita, KS – INTRUST Bank Arena
06/17 Oklahoma City, OK – Chesapeake Energy Center (tickets)
06/19 Colorado Springs, CO – Broadmoor World Arena
06/22 Sacramento, CA – Golden 1 Center (tickets)
06/23 San Francisco, CA – Chase Center (tickets)