Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 pm
Posts: 645
Location: USA
I thought I was only one noticing all this spammy whammy. I guess not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12333
Location: EINDHOVEN
MOOP wrote:
I thought I was only one noticing all this spammy whammy. I guess not.


They're bots posting from a fake IP address. It's impossible to tell who's behind it.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
I know less than nothing about message board security. Is it possible for the spammers to get into a personal computer system through a message board? I realize they can post malware, but as long as you don't click their links you're safe right? Is there any risk just coming in here, or even reading their posts? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12333
Location: EINDHOVEN
cory1984 wrote:
I know less than nothing about message board security. Is it possible for the spammers to get into a personal computer system through a message board? I realize they can post malware, but as long as you don't click their links you're safe right? Is there any risk just coming in here, or even reading their posts? :?


It's not likely they'll invade your computer through a message board but there's a valid point you are making:

Do not click on spam links.

Clicking any faulty link could end in a virus, or worse: ransomware. One click is all it takes.
Because one link is all it takes, opening a post by a spammer is in itself risky. Put a spammer on your ignore list if he invaded your favourite topic, to be on the safe side.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34913
Location: Somewhere in time
I generally eat my spam with Mac and Cheese... :mrgreen:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
BBP wrote:
It's not likely they'll invade your computer through a message board but there's a valid point you are making:

Do not click on spam links.

Clicking any faulty link could end in a virus, or worse: ransomware. One click is all it takes.
Because one link is all it takes, opening a post by a spammer is in itself risky. Put a spammer on your ignore list if he invaded your favourite topic, to be on the safe side.

Great info! Many thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34913
Location: Somewhere in time
I am shocked by the amount of spammers attaching our crappy little web sit...but maybe, just maybe they read a little bit and realize these fools are spending copious amounts of money on some long dead guys music that wasn't that popular and that we may just part with our notes and coins easily... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 16161
Location: misanthropia
Plook wrote:
our crappy little web sit

hey now... this aint no rhythm deficient drum circle, grandpa!

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
The activation thread has between zero and about seven new posts a day. Put a twenty four hour delay on registration and have a moderator spend five minutes a day expunging the obviously bullshit ones. That would render this place a waste of time to most human spammers. Trusted regulars report the sneaky ones, so commit to a daily check of PMs.

But this is obviously not a priority; we are not that important.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 16161
Location: misanthropia
polydigm wrote:
we are not that important.

it's true.
in fact, often times mikey and i will kick back for hours on end
just belly laughing at each and every one of you people.

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Hours on end? What an exciting life you lead!

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 16161
Location: misanthropia
no doubt about it.
laughter is the best medicine, and when it's laughter at the expense of others...

let the good times roll, old buddy!

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
How about this piece of crap: Thomasd38.

He's quoted an old post, commented to look like a fan but has injected a link in the quote.

And this other piece of crap: MichealCervantez.

He's quoted an old post and inserted bullshit about a link to Essra Mohhawk's music on a fucking casino web site.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
polydigm wrote:
How about this piece of crap: Thomasd38.

He's quoted an old post, commented to look like a fan but has injected a link in the quote.

And this other piece of crap: MichealCervantez.

He's quoted an old post and inserted bullshit about a link to Essra Mohhawk's music on a fucking casino web site.

Yeah this is starting to get REALLY annoying, it's one thing if they keep creating threads on their own, but messing with established ones is even worse! I've added at least 10 of these jerks to my "foe" list, but I still keep seeing their posts.

Lets not forget about: Stantonrathy who has racked up over 650 posts in just a couple days!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 33956
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
cory1984 wrote:
polydigm wrote:
How about this piece of crap: Thomasd38.

He's quoted an old post, commented to look like a fan but has injected a link in the quote.

And this other piece of crap: MichealCervantez.

He's quoted an old post and inserted bullshit about a link to Essra Mohhawk's music on a fucking casino web site.

Yeah this is starting to get REALLY annoying, it's one thing if they keep creating threads on their own, but messing with established ones is even worse! I've added at least 10 of these jerks to my "foe" list, but I still keep seeing their posts.

Lets not forget about: Stantonrathy who has racked up over 650 posts in just a couple days!


Probably a waste of time, but how about PMing the bejesus out of the bastards with their own links.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12333
Location: EINDHOVEN
Report all of the posts that are in topics - they're easy to miss.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
BBP wrote:
Report all of the posts that are in topics - they're easy to miss.

Right, but what about the extremely obvious posts that aren't being dealt with? If they aren't being taken care of it's unlikely flagging these posts is going to do much good. I think we've all been doing a good amount of reporting.

Lets take a little time to welcome some of our latest spammers:
and33Rabaf, Donnalhoacy, BillySleli, ShaunVut, NormaGem

I'm sure you'll find a good home here as security seems to be preoccupied....
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10907
I’m getting so tired of all this crap I’m starting to hesitate in even coming here. Somebody needs to start minding the store.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34913
Location: Somewhere in time
KUIII wrote:
I’m getting so tired of all this crap I’m starting to hesitate in even coming here. Somebody needs to start minding the store.



I have been PM'ing Admin regularly and seen stuff removed but these buggers are relentless... :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I’m getting so tired of all this crap I’m starting to hesitate in even coming here. Somebody needs to start minding the store.



I have been PM'ing Admin regularly and seen stuff removed but these buggers are relentless... :evil:

Good to know, but it can't be much that is being removed, keep seeing the same stuff. Plus the users I have blocked (the more prolific ones) are still on my list; they tend to disappear once banned by admin. That doesn't seem to be happening.


Last edited by cory1984 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: Oregon
Stantonrathy

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 pm
Last visited: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 pm
Total posts: 1315
:shock:

just knocking out this asshole would at least put a good dent in it. I realize they come back, but you gotta start somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 35636
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
cory1984 wrote:
Stantonrathy

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 pm
Last visited: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 pm
Total posts: 1315
:shock:

just knocking out this asshole would at least put a good dent in it. I realize they come back, but you gotta start somewhere.

Currently at 1405, and currently on line.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 4986
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
BBP wrote:
MOOP wrote:
I thought I was only one noticing all this spammy whammy. I guess not.


They're bots posting from a fake IP address. It's impossible to tell who's behind it.


Bonny: Do you think it's one person behind all these?

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34913
Location: Somewhere in time
^^^Vladimir Putin... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 4986
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
I knew it...

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group