Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bob Dylan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:02 pm 

Dylan's new album' Modern Times' was released today. I pre-oredered it on Amazon and it's on its way. I have carefully avoided to hear any samples (legal or otherwise) on the Internet. I wanted to wait until I have the album in my hand and can listen to it all the way through. I ordered the version which comes with a DVD, with some live performances on it.

I'm on the dylan.com mailing list and the other day I received this:

:arrow: .Watch Dylan on Google Video

Some pretty good stuff. Check out 'Isis' from the 1975 Rolling Thunder Review. Not the whole song, but still. Amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:20 am 

I wanted to buy the special edition with the DVD today, but it was already sold out at the store I visited. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 am 

Thank's Lumpy. I'll get on ebay and bid on one. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm 

Well, I received my copy yesterday, listened to it twice and here is an attempt at a review. To begin with, Dylan is playing with us on the title. This is not a very modern album. It could have been recorded in the 50s. It sounds great, and it's very basic and laid back. There's blues, rockabilly, a bit of jazzy songs and a couple of songs which sound like old American folk music. Which is what Dylan was all about in the first place. Don't be fooled by the producer's name either; Jack Frost. It's Bob Dylan. He used the same moniker on Love And Theft from 2001 (an album I bought at the same time as this one, can't understand why I waited so long on getting that one. It's also great).
The album has a primitive, raw sound. The band even plays a bit sloppy at times (which I like) and Dylan's voice is as haunting as ever. He reminds me a lot of Howlin' Wolf these days. He sometimes has to rush through the words to make them fit. At times, it's almost like he just can't stop the words from coming. There are love songs, of course, and also songs about mortality and about the state of the world. Dylan doesn't care much for the world of today, that became obvious on Time Out Of Mind (from 1997). But, Modern Times is not as dark as that album. It seems he doesn't really care anymore. Or, he probably does, but he's trying to find a new way of expressing it, maybe.

"Meet me at the bottom, don't lag behind
Bring me my boots and shoes
You can hang back or fight your best on the frontline
Sing a little bit of these workingman blues."

The DVD has four videos:
1. Blood In My Eyes
2. Love Sick (From The Grammy Awards)
3. Things Have Changed
4. Cold Irons Bound (Unreleased live version from Masked & Anonymous)

And, the Cold Irons Bound-performance (it's also one of my favorite songs from the Time Out Of Mind-album) is totally amazing. It's shot in one take, with the camera in a fixed position throughout. Brilliant!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 pm 

Wanna buy some Tutu, Lumpy?

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:36 pm 

Oh, yeah, I forgot something. Dylan's new album was released exactly one year after Katrina hit New Orleans. And he has a song on the album called "The Levee's Gonna Break." It's a 'new' version (with lyrics added by Dylan) of Memphis Minnie's classic. Same song Led Zeppelin used on their 4th album. They gave credit to her, though. Dylan doesn't. Anyway, is the release date a coincidence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:02 pm 

Got the special edition today. The Cold Irons Bound video is awesome. For the first time I heard this version of the song in a concert in 2000. I'm glad to have it in high fidelity now. :)

My favourite song is Rollin' and Tumblin' at the moment. Can't wait to hear it live. I hope His Bobness will come around here soon.

The album is produced very well. If it was produced by Bob himself, I'm wondering why he engaged so much jerks, who have ruined most of his albums in the 80s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:27 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Got the special edition today. The Cold Irons Bound video is awesome. For the first time I heard this version of the song in a concert in 2000. I'm glad to have it in high fidelity now. :)

My favourite song is Rollin' and Tumblin' at the moment. Can't wait to hear it live. I hope His Bobness will come around here soon.

The album is produced very well. If it was produced by Bob himself, I'm wondering why he engaged so much jerks, who have ruined most of his albums in the 80s.

So, you found the DVD edition. Good. Yeah, that Cold Irons Bound video is great. When I saw him two weeks ago, he played it, in that arrangement (which, of course, is a bit different from on the Time Out Of Mind-album). He didn't play anything from Modern Times, though.

And, well, he has added a lot of new lyrics to Rollin' and Tumblin' (and to The Levee's Gonna Break). But, they're not his songs and he doesn't give credit to Muddy Waters (and not to Memphis Minnie either, in the case of The Levee's Gonna Break). I guess you have to be Bob Dylan to get away with things like that.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:57 pm 

from the Last non Zappa Album you bought?? Phaze II-thread:

timm0 wrote:
Sir Bobbles - Modern Times.

So, whaddya think? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:45 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot something. Dylan's new album was released exactly one year after Katrina hit New Orleans.

And Love & Theft came out on Sep 11, 2001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:06 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot something. Dylan's new album was released exactly one year after Katrina hit New Orleans. And he has a song on the album called "The Levee's Gonna Break." It's a 'new' version (with lyrics added by Dylan) of Memphis Minnie's classic. Same song Led Zeppelin used on their 4th album. They gave credit to her, though. Dylan doesn't. Anyway, is the release date a coincidence?

BillyDaMt wrote:

maybe you should have included the rest of my post there, billy, and not take it out of context the way you did. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:28 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
timm0 wrote:
Sir Bobbles - Modern Times.

So, whaddya think? 8)

Brilliant of course! 8)

I can't say too much about it now, it'll need lots of listens to sink in, but my favourite song so far is Ain't Talkin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:03 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
So, whaddya think?

timm0 wrote:
Brilliant of course!
I can't say too much about it now, it'll need lots of listens to sink in, but my favourite song so far is Ain't Talkin'.

Yeah, that's a good one. I think my favorite right now is When The Deal Goes Down, but the whole album's great. Dylan is just awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:16 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

BillyDaMt wrote:

maybe you should have included the rest of my post there, billy, and not take it out of context the way you did. 8)

What is your malfunction?
I took that part because it was the only relevant portion regarding what I was mentioning.
Dylan has almost always been timely in his work.

It's not like I disagreed with anything you said and cut stuff out of your amazing post. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
I took that part because it was the only relevant portion regarding what I was mentioning.

It's not like I disagreed with anything you said and cut stuff out of your amazing post. :roll:

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were making fun of my suggestion that the release date of Modern Times had any significance, since Dylan included the song The Levee’s Gonna Break. A misunderstanding on my part.

I can’t really see any significance behind Love And Theft being released Sept. 11, 2001, though. That would be really eerie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were making fun of my suggestion that the release date of Modern Times had any significance, since Dylan included the song The Levee’s Gonna Break. A misunderstanding on my part.

I can’t really see any significance behind Love And Theft being released Sept. 11, 2001, though. That would be really eerie.

Right on
I wasn't implying that there was a significance, just that it was so.
Though the sombre tone of that album was harrowing to listen to in
the days right after 911, especially High Water and Cry Awhile.
And as odd as it may seem, that album was a good sanctuary for my
mind during that time.

That is all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:18 am 

I've only heard "When The Deal Goes Down (I think that's what it's called) and I loved it. I'm hoping the album is gonna be as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:06 am 

OK, now I have the new album (someone really rather sweet bought it for me!), just listening to it now for the first time, and I love it. Excuse the language, but it's fucking great. Perfect music to listen to while I paint! It aint often I listen to a new album and lovw it right away, but I do love this one. Fave up to now is still "When The Deal Goes Down" but Im pretty sure that they'll all be faves soon! 8) Well done handsome Bobbers!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 pm 

It sounds like MODERN TIMES is a continuation of LOVE AND THEFT...phaze two of 'Love and Theft' ---and that's all I have t' say, 'cuz I guess- Ah ain't no Bob Dylan,nor tryin' t' be,apparently...except to say that: 'Love and Theft' is a great album,for lovers of both raspy voices and poetry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:20 am 

Great CD. I love Ain't Talkin' as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:20 pm 

One of his best albums ever !!!

I was surprised that his voice was still that good, because i have seen him live in november 2003 and back then it sounded like his voice was gone all together....

It's good to know Mr. Zimmerman is STILL out there, I find some strange comfort in the fact that he is still around, still touring and still recording...

The world (at least mine...) wouldn't be the same without him around.

Way to go Bob !!!

Post subject: Re: bob dylan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm 

Quote:
bob dylan will release a brand new album of holiday songs, 'christmas in the heart', on tuesday, october 13. all of the artist’s u.s. royalties from sales of these recordings will be donated to feeding america, guaranteeing that more than four million meals will be provided to more than 1.4 million people in need in this country during this year’s holiday season. bob dylan is also donating all of his future u.s. royalties from this album to feeding america in perpetuity.

additionally, the artist is partnering with two international charities to provide meals during the holidays for millions in need in the united kingdom and the developing world, and will be donating all of his future international royalties from 'christmas in the heart' to those organizations in perpetuity.

bob dylan commented, "it’s a tragedy that more than 35 million people in this country alone - 12 million of those children – often go to bed hungry and wake up each morning unsure of where their next meal is coming from. I join the good people of feeding america in the hope that our efforts can bring some food security to people in need during this holiday season."

feeding america
bob dylan

Post subject: Re: Bob Dylan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:36 pm 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... AA240_.jpg
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
So, whaddya think? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:15 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 pm 

I disagree with the videogames part.