Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Candy Gas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 pm 

Hey Aspy that is great news!

But didn't you guys read in mr. GG's post that CHOCOLATE is going to SAVE THE WORLD?? :D :D HOT DAMN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

To ammend the kitty situation though, I now have two kitty cats, Dolly Daydream, and Thomas "Mariano" Mars. They are brother and sister and totally adorable. I couldn't get one and not the other.
One would have been left alone and I couldn't cope thinking of a wee kitty all alone after having its sibling for company. I'm such a soft touch. 8)

Ok lets ammend that kitty situation once again haha. I had two cats, one I thought was a boy and the other a girl, turns out, after a visit to the vet, seems theyre both girlies, so a name change for Thomas was in order.
My sister now has Dolly Daydream, and we are left with Daisy Daydream (formerly known as Thomas, haha)...I loves her. 8)

Last edited by aspy_2nd_bunch on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Candy Gas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:16 pm 

Muffinmama wrote:
Hey Aspy that is great news!

But didn't you guys read in mr. GG's post that CHOCOLATE is going to SAVE THE WORLD?? :D :D HOT DAMN!

Thanks Mama!!! I know!! How cool is that! Chocolate...master of the universe, who'd-a-thunk-it eh??? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:15 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
1) this arrived today after about 2 months in transit from germany:

Nice one. My first Zappa book I bought in the 70's. Urban was a good friend of FZ.

There's another book from Urban you should have:

It came with a cd from Frank's Basel 74 concert. Not cheap at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:04 am 

Japan: Producing Electricity from Train Station Ticket Gates

The East Japan Railway Company, as part of research aimed at developing more environmentally friendly train stations, is testing an experimental system that produces electricity as people pass through ticket gates. JR claims that this sort of human-powered electricity generation system may provide a portion of the electricity consumed at train stations in the future.

Imagehttp://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/content/view/966/123/

Post subject: BB7
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:54 am 
Banned

Janelle won HOH in HOH comp redo! Erika is livid!

Ooooooops.....wrong board. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:02 am 

LITTLE BITTY KITTY
Tiny Heid is heading for the record books

A CAT named Heid could be heading for the record books - as the smallest in the world. The 14-week-old Munchkin kitten is just 31/4 inches in height and weighs only 2lbs.

And the moggy - named after a Scots character with a large head in the Mike Myers movie So I Married an AxeMurderer - will be confirmed as a record breaker if he doesn't grow much more.

The current smallest is 6.1 inches tall, and weighs 3.1 lbs. But Heid is on track to claim his place in the Guinness Book Records.

Owner Tiffani Kjeldergaard, 40, of San Diego, explained:

"Munchkins are a breed with the same mutant gene as little folk. But they usually weigh 3-5 lbs and stand around six inches.Heid was one of a litter of seven and was the only one with this gene. His mother is a Munchkin and his father is a normal sized cat."

Tiffani said: "We called him Heid because he was born with a big head and a tiny body and it reminded us of a line in the Mike Myers film where he shouts in a Scottish accent, 'Look at the size of his heid!'"

Actor Myers was born in Canada but his parents were from Liverpool and he has relatives in Scotland. As well as Axe Murderer, he also used a Scots accent in cartoon Shrek.

Tiffani and her husband Stefan have now contacted the Guinness Book of Records.

She said: "They have sent me the documentation, so fingers crossed." Tiffani added: "Heid is a great little cat. He loves to rub noses with me when he's nervous, but I take him everywhere with me and he loves it."

Pictures here..

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 am 

Calm as Mid-East ceasefire begins

A UN-brokered ceasefire has come into force between Israel and the Lebanese militant group, Hezbollah. Our correspondents describe the atmosphere on either side of the Israeli-Lebanese border.

JIM MUIR IN TYRE, LEBANON

It is very quiet. I can hear the sea. People are starting to come out into the sunshine for the first time in a month.

There are a few people remaining in the area. They are looking relaxed and one or two others have started to return.

We have been told that down on the main bridge over the Litani River, on the coastal road that links the south of Lebanon with the north, there is a big bottleneck of traffic apparently trying to come back into the area.

We have had no reports of any hostilities since the ceasefire came into effect at 0800 local time (0500 GMT).

The Unifil spokesman told me that the UN force in the area has had no reports of any hostile activities at all so far.

On the ground here, one has a feeling that confidence is growing.

People are starting to come out and assess the damage. In some places, bulldozers are even starting to clear some of the debris away.

In Tibnine, in the centre of town, there is a scene of devastation next to the hospital on the main road.

There are a dozen burnt-out vehicles from an Israeli artillery bombardment on Sunday, which caused a huge fire next to the hospital.

All the way along the road, up through the villages from Tyre, there are similar scenes of devastation.

One building is still burning and there are many smashed buildings along the way.

The roads have huge holes and craters in them. Many with cars that have driven into them at speed.

Further on in Bint Jbeil, the scene of heavy fighting in which nine Israeli soldiers were killed, [there is] a scene of utter devastation with few signs of life.

In one shattered building the body of a woman wrapped in plastic lay under a gilt chandelier. She had been there for two weeks.

It will be clearly some time before life returns to this desolate place - once a bustling market town for the whole region.

JAMES REYNOLDS ON ISRAEL'S NORTHERN BORDER

It is astonishingly quiet. We could hear a lot of birdsong this morning as well as the wind.

I think I also heard a lawnmower earlier.

It has been a very loud night. Israel fired artillery shells over the hills in front of me towards Lebanon.

Six minutes before the truce began, I heard three final booms, one after another, but from 0800 local time (0500 GMT) onwards I have heard nothing more.

Still, there is no great sense that the conflict has ended.

It is still very, very empty here.

Israelis are not yet willing to drive up from central Israel to check things out. They want to see how the ceasefire holds before they risk coming back to live in northern Israel.

For now, Israel's cannons still point in the direction of Lebanon and thousands of Israeli soldiers are still inside Lebanese territory.

Israel says they will only leave when a robust international force comes in to take over and that could take 10 days.

Plenty could go wrong before then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4790205.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 am 

Studebaker wrote:
LITTLE BITTY KITTY
Tiny Heid is heading for the record books

A CAT named Heid could be heading for the record books - as the smallest in the world. The 14-week-old Munchkin kitten is just 31/4 inches in height and weighs only 2lbs.

:)

Awwww how gorgeous!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:50 pm 

File-sharing 'darknet' unveiled

A "darknet" service that allows users to share music files anonymously on the web has been launched in Sweden.

Relakks, as the service is known, allows users to send and receive files through a heavily-encrypted connection.

It is the first commercial example of a darknet, a virtual network set up to share files between trusted users.

The service is endorsed by political group the Pirate Party which is running for election in Sweden under a banner to reform the country's copyright laws.

"There are many legitimate reasons to want to be completely anonymous on the internet," said Rickard Falkvinge, chairman of the Pirate Party.

"The right to exchange information in private is fundamental to the democratic society. Without a safe and convenient way of accessing the internet anonymously, this right is rendered null and void."

Closed groups

A darknet is a cordoned-off, anonymised section of the net where users can meet, chat and swap data.

Usually darknets are confined to small tight-knit groups such as hackers who use the secure connections to distribute information and hacking tools.

They have also been used by paedophiles to distribute images of child abuse.

Many are invitation-only services where potential members have to upload material to prove themselves to the group before they are granted full access.

Similar identity-hiding tools such as Tor are used by net dissidents in countries like China to avoid persecution for their activities on the web.

Previous attempts to launch large scale anonymous networks, such as Nullsoft's Waste program have been unsuccessful. After its release in 2003, Waste was removed form distribution by Nullsoft's parent company AOL.

Unique service

The new system claims to be the world's first commercial darknet. It is provided by Swedish company Relakks and is endorsed by the Pirate Party.

It works by giving a user's computer a new IP address, the unique number the machine uses to identify itself and communicate with other machines over the net.

IP numbers allocated by your internet service provider (ISP) can be used to trace and identify a specific computer on a network.

Computers using the Relakks system look like they have a Swedish IP address, no matter where they are in the world.

Users can then share files, such as music or films, with any other users. In theory anyone monitoring user's online activities will not be able to trace their geographical location.

The Pirate Party acknowledge that the service could be used to distribute copyright material or other content such as images of child abuse.

"We hear the argument a lot," Mr Falkvinge told the BBC News website. "No, we don't have any control over what is being sent over the network but that's the point.

"People who want to hide their activities online already have the means to do so. We're just giving those tools to the general public."

Democratic rights

File sharing and copyright law is a divisive topic in Sweden. Until recently the country was a hotbed of piracy where films, music and software were readily swapped online.

Last year, it outlawed the unauthorised downloading of copyrighted movies and music in an attempt to curb piracy, after criticism from Hollywood.

The Pirate Party was launched in part to temper what they say are "aggressive" tactics by the entertainment industry to enforce copyright infringement.

They say techniques such as tracing IP addresses threaten privacy and democracy.

The Relakks service, they say, offers people the ability to use the internet "without fear of being monitored or logged". It costs five euro (£3) per month with some of the funds going towards supporting the Pirate Party.

However, not everyone is convinced that it is what it claims to be.

In a forum on the US website of the Pirate Party, a post by a user called Smironv questioned whether the service is really anonymous.

"You can't connect to Relakks anonymously, because then they'd have no way of verifying you are a paying customer - so Relakks knows who you really are when all your traffic goes through them.

"What is the difference between trusting them and trusting my own ISP not to give me away?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4798059.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:58 am 

100 % good news....

I pre-ordered my Freak Out Box set Today. Why today? Because i was on vacation and go directly to the Forum when i log in here, I did not know it was available until this morning??? My god, another 5 days and i would have missed it.

And bye the way, Great news Aspy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:03 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
100 % good news....

I pre-ordered my Freak Out Box set Today. Why today? Because i was on vacation and go directly to the Forum when i log in here, I did not know it was available until this morning??? My god, another 5 days and i would have missed it.

And bye the way, Great news Aspy!

Thanks chief!! She's beautiful and growing more and more every day! I could watch her for hours, she's so funny. She's been doing that thing where she "pings" off the floor when she's playing hahaha like a little spring lamb! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:05 am 

I finally got a MySpace site! Not in the Music section, which may be up later, but it's a start!
http://www.myspace.com/bbp4music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:11 am 

BBP wrote:
I finally got a MySpace site! Not in the Music section, which may be up later, but it's a start!

Hey BBP! I sent you an add request, will you be my friend? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
BBP wrote:

Hey BBP! I sent you an add request, will you be my friend? :lol:

Sure! I'm just figuring it out now. I already lost a lot of information which took ages to type (personal interests) and that was sorta bugging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:53 pm 

More good news: Today I did my last newspaper round, so now I have total vacation! For a week or two!

And I got a present! From one of the neighborhood cats in the area where I delivered newspapers. He brought me a mouse he'd just caught, and it seemed dead. I petted the kitty but didn't accept my gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:20 am 

The forum turns four today. I lost two pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:13 am 

just watched snakes on a plane..... does that count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:49 am 

sir_galoot wrote:
just watched snakes on a plane..... does that count?
. . . . . . only if they were baby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:11 pm 

Big canoe trip tomorrow with the rest of the family. Nieces, nephews, in-laws, brothers & sisters. More than 20 of us. Ought to be a fun time...in a Chevy Chase kinda way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:35 am 

My photos were finally done today!

Floraplein, Eindhoven, right after my round at 6:30 AM

That's one menacing cloud...

My Primus collection

Local graffiti party!

On coming back: nice little breeze...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 am 

BBP wrote:
My Primus collection

Ahahah, the Possessed, Beyond the Gates of Hell LP. I used to have that as a teen. But mine was the Brazilian edition where the "gates" on the LP cover wouldn't unfold, just a plain normal LP cover...

Nice pics, btw...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:53 pm 

Jamaica issues Bob Marley coins

The Bank Of Jamaica has issued 1,000 gold and silver coins to celebrate late reggae star Bob Marley.

The commemorative coins bearing the star's dreadlocked likeness are being sold for $100 (£55) each.

Made by the British Royal Mint, they were intended to mark the 60th anniversary of Marley's birth in 2005 - but have only been issued now.

"We've received quite a bit of interest already," said bank spokeswoman Jacqueline Morgan.

There was no explanation given for the delay in issuing the coins.

It is the second time the Bank of Jamaica has issued coins bearing Marley's likeness in his homeland.

"The coins to commemorate his 50th birthday have totally sold out," Morgan said.

Marley, who died of cancer in 1981, was one of the most iconic figures in music, and arguably one of the most famous Jamaican in history.

He shot to fame in the 1970s with hits such as No Woman No Cry and I Shot The Sheriff.

In February it was announced that his home in Jamaica was to be declared a national monument, 25 years after his death.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5285368.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:28 am 

Just been to the dentist... and nothing was wrong! Whew!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:38 am 

Universal backs free music offer

Vivendi Universal, the world's biggest music group, has signed a deal to make its music catalogue available on a free legal downloads service.

Under the agreement, Spiralfrog will offer Universal's songs online in the US and Canada.

New York-based Spiralfrog will launch its service in December and make its money by carrying adverts on the site.

Spiralfrog aims to take on market leader Apple's iTunes service, which charges 99 cents per song in the US.

"Offering young consumers an easy-to-use alternative to pirated music sites will be compelling," Spiralfrog Chief Executive Robin Kent said.

Mr Kent, the former head of the Universal McCann advertising agency, added that his research suggested that in return for free music, young people would be willing to endure adverts - as long as the brands and products were relevant to them.

'Shrewd move'

US-based music industry legal specialist Josh Lawler said news of the new service was "inevitable".

Spiralfrog will have to find a way to pay artists from the advertising dollars they are generating
Josh Lawler, music industry specialist

"It's a very shrewd move by Universal," he told BBC News.

"The music industry is going to a point where all delivery will probably be some form of downloading or streaming."

Figures from the International Federation of Phonographic Industries (IFPI) estimate that for each legal download, 40 are done illegally.

Mr Lawler added that the success of Myspace had underlined the power of the internet to make or break artists - as well as proving that advertising-based formats can work.

Funding question

But while Spiralfrog is discussing possible deals with other big record firms, questions still remain over how the artists featured on Spiralfrog will be paid.

"The internet is very much a viable media, but the trick is going to be getting it off the ground in the first place," Mr Lawler added.

"Spiralfrog will have to find a way to pay artists from the advertising dollars they are generating.

"But they're not necessarily going to know how many advertising dollars there are and so some artists are going to be hesitant about it," he said.

Rapid growth

The music downloads industry is a burgeoning market. According to the IFPI, 60 million MP3 players were sold in 2005, while 420 million single tracks were downloaded during the year - up 20 times on two years earlier.

DOWNLOADS INDUSTRY*
60m MP3 players sold worldwide
420m single tracks downloaded
Revenues from music downloads for MP3s and mobile phones totalled $1.1bn
350 legitimate download sites in 2005, up from 50 in 2003
*Source: IFPI Digital music report 2006

Many of the models sold are also expected to be incompatible with Apple's online record store - such as Sony's Walkman.

At the same time, numerous companies are jumping on the downloads bandwagon.

Entertainment retailers HMV and Virgin already offer music downloads, while music television channel MTV has opened its own online shop, Urge.

Microsoft is preparing to launch a music store to go with its Zune player, made by Toshiba, which is popularly viewed in the industry as an "iPod killer".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5294842.stm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next