Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Heavy Fucking Metal!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 am 

Testament, Exodus + Death Angel Announce 2021 U.S. Tour Dates
Joe DiVita
Published: June 28, 2021

https://loudwire.com/testament-exodus-death-angel-2021-tour/

The U.S. leg of the 'Bay Strikes Back Tour' featuring Bay Area thrash icons Testament, Exodus and Death Angel has just been announced for this fall.

The three highly influential bands were all on tour together in early 2020 in Europe and were forced to return home early as countries began shutting down in the wake of the pandemic. Several of the bands' members and crew contracted COVID-19 and Death Angel drummer Will Carroll was in a coma and under intensive care at one point, later telling the story of how he thought he was in Hell and saw Satan before waking and recovering from the virus.

Needless to say, it will be a redemptive moment for the thrash trio once they get back on the road starting in October with a total of 30 dates on the books and Testament will make an appearance at the Blue Ridge Rock Festival in September before the run starts.

Some of the dates, annotated below, are rescheduled stops from a previous Testament tour and tickets that have already been purchased will be honored for those shows. Check listings carefully.

Testament guitarist Eric Peterson exclaimed, "Finally we are able to announce this suspended tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic! We are totally excited to get out on the road again and continue where we left off supporting our newest release 'Titans of Creation!' Along with our brothers of thrash Exodus and Death Angel! Get your tickets now! Horns up!!!!!"

"YES!! Finally back on the road! This time we are bringing the 'Bay Strikes Back' to our own shores with our good friend's Testament and Death Angel," enthused Exodus' Gary Holt. "To say this is awesome would be an understatement! Cannot wait!!"

"At last the wait is over! We couldn’t be more pleased to announce the continuation of 'The Bay Strikes Back Tour' with our brothers Testament and Exodus! This leg takes us across the United States to bring our brand of Bay Area Thrash to live onstage, coming soon to a theater near you. Join us for a long-overdue release of some serious pent-up energy! We’re gonna blow the roof off these joints! Come be a part of these explosive performances," added Death Angel. See you soon!"

See the complete list of stops below and look for tickets to go on sale on July 1 at 10AM local time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 pm 

CELTIC FROST Founder TOM GABRIEL FISCHER Honored With 'Swiss Music Prize 2021'

September 30, 2021
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/celtic-frost-founder-tom-gabriel-fischer-honored-with-swiss-music-prize-2021/

Four decades into his career as a musician, HELLHAMMER, CELTIC FROST and TRIPTYKON founder Tom Gabriel Fischer (a.k.a. Tom Warrior) was among the recipients of the Swiss Music Prize 2021, awarded by the Swiss Federal Office Of Culture in a ceremony on September 17, 2021 at Lugano's Arte e Cultura (LAC) centre. This event marked the first time the Swiss Music Prize formally recognized the genre of heavy metal.

Statement by the Swiss Federal Office Of Culture: "Tom Gabriel Warrior's bands have played a significant role in music history and influenced musicians around the globe. A metal music pioneer, Warrior is an idol not just within the boundaries of the metal scene, and as an advocate for animal rights, he aims to provide a voice to those who don't have one."

Also among the winners of the Swiss Music Prize 2021 was legendary producer Roli Mosimann, Fischer's past collaborator during the recording sessions for CELTIC FROST's "Vanity/Nemesis" album (1990) and APOLLYON SUN's "Sub" album (2000). Unable to attend the ceremony due to health reasons, Mosimann asked Fischer to accept the prize on his behalf.

Edited transcript of Tom Gabriel Fischer's acceptance speech for the Swiss Music Prize 2021: "Although I was very fortunate to be granted a loyal audience already early on in my career, not least in my native country of Switzerland, the local Swiss music industry and cultural institutions either ignored me or expressed derision for my music, and sometimes they even obstructed it. In their perception, it simply didn’t conform and wasn't commercial enough. And indeed, my music was dark, experimental, and obstinate. But exactly due to these qualities, it was noticed abroad.

"I do, of course, understand that receiving this prize is an honor, and I do feel grateful for it. But given that an inconceivable 40 years have passed since I first became a musician, this prize is also quite irrelevant to me by now. I have pursued my path regardless, without subordinating myself to any of the customary inbreeding rituals of the Swiss music scene, and without ever applying for any kind of cultural funding from the Swiss state or the relevant institutions.

"The support granted to me throughout the years by the following individuals was absolutely essential, however, and my gratitude to them is limitless:

Antje Lange
Vanja Slajh
Alois Wendelin
Urs Sprenger
Maya Ghirardello
Martin Eric Ain
Michelle Fischer
H.R. Giger and Carmen Giger
Jörg Michael
Ian Christe
Denise Mathieu
Corinne Kühne
Kathy Lenze

"And there are many more.

"Moreover, I would also like to express gratitude to those who do not kill animals, do not enslave them, and do not mistreat them, but instead respect and protect them. I bow to you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:07 am 

JUDAS PRIEST: 'A Visual Biography' Due In February
November 3, 2021

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-a-visual-biography-due-in-february/

Wymer Publishing has set a February 25, 2022 release date for "Judas Priest: A Visual Biography".

This A4 224-page hardback coffee table book by esteemed author Martin Popoff is crammed full of memorabilia including backstage passes, gig posters, media adverts and much more. It is a grinding celebration of the metal gods JUDAS PRIEST in all their sumptuous glory and written by Popoff with his usual style.

"Judas Priest: A Visual Biography" is stuffed with the entire fifty-plus-year history in meticulous timeline order — a rock‐hard reference book, with the facts presented mostly soberly and efficiently. This book contains all manner of facts that also rtakes a detailed look at offshoot bands and side projects throughout the visually stunning pages. It is a glorious pictorial celebration of the band's full career in one mighty tome, crammed full of stunning visuals including many previously unpublished photos.

Pre-order your copy at this location.

Bassist Ian Hill is the sole remaining original member of PRIEST, which formed in 1969. Singer Rob Halford joined the group in 1973 and guitarist Glenn Tipton signed on in 1974. Rob left PRIEST in the early 1990s to form his own band, then came back to PRIEST in 2003. Founding guitarist K.K. Downing parted ways with the band in 2011, and was replaced by Richie Faulkner.

PRIEST's current touring lineup consists of Hill, Halford, guitarists Andy Sneap and Faulkner, and drummer Scott Travis.

PRIEST and Rufus Publications recently published the first-ever official book documenting the band's extensive history over the last 50 years. Titled "Judas Priest - 50 Heavy Metal Years", the book has been put together by David Silver, Ross Halfin and Jayne Andrews. This huge, 648-page coffee table book chronicles the history of the world’s foremost heavy metal band using hundreds of previously unseen, unpublished photographs from rock's greatest photographers including Halfin, Neil Zlozower, Mark Weiss, Fin Costello, Oliver Halfin and many more. With a linking text by renowned journalist Mark Blake, the book explores the bands exciting history on stage and off in a unique photo documentary designed to excite fans and devotees of true heavy metal the world over. Current bandmembers have all contributed to the book, with written pieces detailing their love and passion for the band, making this an extraordinary artefact for their legions of followers. The book features an exclusive cover by Mark Wilkinson, who has worked with the band for many years now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:07 am 

TESTAMENT, EXODUS And DEATH ANGEL: Five Dates Added To Rescheduled U.S. Leg Of 'The Bay Strikes Back Tour'
November 16, 2021

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/testament-exodus-and-death-angel-five-dates-added-to-rescheduled-u-s-leg-of-the-bay-strikes-back-tour/

Five new dates have been added to the rescheduled North American leg of "The Bay Strikes Back Tour" featuring TESTAMENT, EXODUS and DEATH ANGEL. Newly confirmed shows will take place in Orlando, Florida (April 25); Chattanooga, Tennessee (April 28)
Seattle, Washington (May 22); Portland, Oregon (May 23); and Sacramento, California (May 25). Tickets go on sale this Friday, November 19 at 10 a.m. local time.

"The Bay Strikes Back Tour" was originally scheduled to kick off on October 6 at the Fremont Theater in San Luis Obispo, California and make stops in Austin, New York, and Detroit before concluding on November 27 at The Fox in Oakland.

When "The Bay Strikes Back Tour" was postponed from its original time frame, TESTAMENT guitarist Eric Peterson said in a statement: "We were really on the fence with this decision. But seeing other bands make it through with a few mild cases and other bigger bands just canceling their entire tours, we felt it is in our best interest to postpone these shows to '22."

Added TESTAMENT guitarist Alex Skolnick: "It gives none of us any pleasure to be the bearers of bad news yet again, but here we are. Although 'Bay Strikes Back' is a top tour package for theaters, the reality is this: It can’t afford to take the risks that top-grossing larger venue tours have been taking. The type of disruptions KISS and other large outdoor venue tours have experienced could cause our shows to be permanently canceled — a lose/lose for everyone. The fact that a lower budget tour such as ours is limited to indoor venues with tight backstage space only adds to the risk. It should go without saying that calling off these dates was a 'last resort' decision, and everyone involved would much rather this weren't the case. However, this is the new reality we're all in. All we can do is hope for everyone's understanding, which we ask for sincerely."

EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt said: "We are saddened to announce that 'The Bay Strikes Back Tour' is being postponed, but the risk of cancelled shows due to positive tests leading to tour personnel being quarantined and isolated is just too great at this time. We want to feel safe, enjoy the tour and be able to hang out with our close friends. The silver lining in this is that [EXODUS's cancer-stricken drummer] Tom Hunting no longer needs chemo and will have more time to work his way back to doing a full tour."

The trio of bands will perform as scheduled on November 27 at the Fox Theater in Oakland, California.

"Usually when I'm asked to contribute a quote to an announcement, it pertains to something I'm extremely excited about," said DEATH ANGEL vocalist Mark Osegueda. "In this case, I'm gutted… It pains me to announce that 'The Bay Strikes Back' U.S. tour is being postponed. No one was looking forward to this more than me. But, on the brighter side of things, the tour is in fact going to happen — just at a later time. And I can assure you that the already ravenous to play live members of DEATH ANGEL promise to provide a crushing set during a crushing tour. The Bay WILL Strike Back!"

"The Bay Strikes Back Tour" dates:
Apr. 09 - San Luis Obispo, CA - Fremont Theater
Apr. 10 - Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
Apr. 12 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues
Apr. 13 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
Apr. 15 - Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre
Apr. 16 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Apr. 19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom
Apr. 20 - Houston, TX - White Oak Music Hall
Apr. 21 - Austin, TX - Emo's
Apr. 22 - Dallas, TX - Amplified Live
Apr. 23 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
Apr. 25 - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live (new date)
Apr. 26 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
Apr. 27 - Raleigh, NC - The Ritz
Apr. 28 - Chattanooga, TN - The Signal (new date)
Apr. 30 - Sayreville, NJ - Starland Ballroom
May 01 - Baltimore, MD - Soundstage
May 02 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
May 03 - Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
May 05 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
May 06 - Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
May 07 - Cincinnati, OH - Madison Theater
May 09 - Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
May 10 - Cleveland, OH - The Agora
May 11 - Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
May 12 - Detroit, MI - The Majestic Theatre
May 14 - Joliet, IL - The Forge
May 15 - Joliet, IL - The Forge
May 17 - Minneapolis, MN - Skyway Theatre
May 19 - Denver, CO - Summit
May 20 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
May 22 - Seattle, WA - Showbox (new date)
May 23 - Portland, OR - Roseland (new date)
May 25 - Sacramento, CA - Ace of Spades (new date)

**Note, the tour is still playing at Fox Theater in Oakland, California on November 27 as previously scheduled

All tickets purchased for the original dates will be honored for the new dates. Refunds will be available at point of purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:37 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:03 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:56 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23