Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm the Slime
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:38 pm 

"The general public, are ignorant and meddlesome outsiders who must be put in their place. They are to be spectators of action not participants who must be regimented to abandon any ideas about controlling their own lives. Their task is to develop a philosophy of futility and to follow orders while focusing their attention on more superficial things which comprise much of fashionable consumption."

~ Walter Lippmann (Pioneer of Propaganda) (1922)

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I am the Slime
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:05 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIoUcngZv8

Post subject: Re: I'm the Slime
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:24 pm 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The pic above doesn't apply, since he's not a top 1% funded candidate.

But this one below does, because she's a top 1% funded candidate...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:51 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm 

^^ why are they wearing microwave ovens?^^
:wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:23 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

That's great, I just saw that!

verb [les-er ee-vuhl-iz-uhm]
1. The act of waging permanent war.
2. The act of giving everything everyone has, to a few.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:16 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:38 am 

So, the point of this thread is that the majority of people are just stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:32 am 

i'm not sure if that was mr_g_g's initial intent, as i would have to go back and re-read/attempt to
defrag his post for those of us who cannot simply unweave the complicated webbing of a plant scientist... or whatever he is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:14 pm 

The quote in the OP is from 1922. A significant section of the intelligentsia of the time subscribed to very Plato like, patronising views of society: that it should be run by a social elite of truly intelligent people and that people at large couldn't be trusted and were mostly stupid, and even when they were educated, it was like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. This was basically a very egotistical view about class.

People jump to very dubious conclusions about stupidity, often based on poor reasoning. For example, how is it in the West, for some time now, that Neo Liberal governments seem to be so popular? The general population must be stupid if it keeps voting against its own interests, surely? But the truth is that these governments rarely win by more than a small margin and often, in countries with less fair voting systems, often win with less than half the population's votes. Swings do not actually require many stupid people - given that general stupidity is being postulated - and it's invalid to use it as a measure of people's common sense in general. In explaining the cross section of people in Western societies, stupidity only has a small role to play.

Espousing the view that the majority of humans are just stupid is generally just an excuse to justify taking a self centred position in life. Notice how the people who spout this kind of viewpoint don't include themselves and yet notice further how common is this viewpoint. Can they all be right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:25 pm 

polydigm wrote:
keeps voting against its own interests,

Saw on PBS tonight the Democrats finally agreed on the first thing on this big money bill they're doing now, that the corporate tax rate will be slashed to 15%.

Glad they could agree on something.

We workers will have to pick up more slack from the rich, we just took another ice pick, a pretty big one too this time, the Biden voters gave us.

They said it straight faced, and it was billed as the first step in "progress" on the bill, that way they wouldn't wake anybody up. Baaaa.

It's fucking amazing.

You can see it here if you want, you'd hardly notice anything was wrong the way they said it,

I wish someone would slash MY taxes to 15%, it's the people that need it, not corporate.

(Wealth inequality after the dems started taking money like the corrupt R's...now they're both corrupt but the Dem voters haven't caught on yet).

The Dem's got a trillion dollars for nuclear weapons upgrades though.

The dem voters still haven't figured it out, it's difficult to know how much you'll have to take away from them before they'll stop voting for more ice picks, it's sooo unnecessary, we could fix it all in 2 election cycles and all the voters would be rich, safe, and secure...instead, we give that to the 1% because of the no-think voters.

Reality:

Trump lowered the corporate tax rate from 35% where it had been for decades to 21%, and the Democrats howled.

Then the Dems ran on raising corporate tax (if you can believe that), back to 28%.

The Dems promised, ran, and won, now they're slashing corporate tax even more than Trump slashed it, down to 15%.

Flakes, flakes.
They're lining up at our door.

Dems make progress in Biden agenda talks, but agreement may still take time
Oct 26, 2021 6:55 PM EDT

"One thing they did come out with tonight, though, Judy, they have made a decision taxes, corporate taxes.

The official proposal now — Democrats say they have agreed, and we know Kyrsten Sinema is on board — on a 15 percent minimum corporate tax"

While the children are sleeping, the puppy is crappin.

Watch, as usual I'll write a sobering post like this, and you won't hear a peep out of a single Dem voter on the forum...totally controlled. They'll take anything their bomber heros dish out and come back for more. You can't take enough away from them to make them stand up for themselves, they'll just keep telling their friends we gotta vote for more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:28 pm 

^^^
This was the promise, here from CNBC, owned by GE [leading military contractor,] of which controlling share is owned by the 1%, so,
this just in from the 1%...
WED, APR 7 20213:03 PM EDT UPDATED WED, APR 7 20216:23 PM EDT

*Key provisions of the plan include raising the U.S. corporate rate to 28% from 21%, and imposing minimum taxes on both foreign incomes.
Biden said Wednesday that he would be open to hiking the corporate rate by a smaller amount and that he is not married to 28%.

Oh God, I heard it on CNBC News, it must be true!

Of course Joe had assured his rich donors not to worry...

Reality... Joe Biden to rich donors: "Nothing would fundamentally change" if he's elected

Biden told donors at an event at the Carlyle Hotel in Manhattan on Tuesday evening that he would not “demonize” the rich and promised that “no one’s standard of living will change, nothing would fundamentally change,” Bloomberg News reported.

Biden went on to say that the rich should not be blamed for income inequality, pleading to the donors, “I need you very badly.”

“I hope if I win this nomination, I won’t let you down. I promise you,” he added.

So,

We have a bill that a lot of people may believe the Dems finally got the rich to pay for,

The rich want some subsidies, and they want to get both of everybody's parents back to work so they can get their income back and stable, so... get the taxpayers (not the rich), to share the pre-school babysitter costs in the bill so mom and dad can get back to work, (the rich are getting further tax breaks so far, so they're not paying for this).

And,
A lot of people think getting help with preschool babysitters so they can get back to work is a good thing, the bill is advertised as the rich are rich are gonna pay for the preschool babysitters so both parents can get back to work, instead of one of them being a primary caregiver for their child.

and they don't remember about how only one parent worked before in the US, and parents raised their kids, because only one parent worked and got full medical for the family, and better standard of living, and full pension...before we outsource manufacturing to Asian slave labor with the WTO.

Why not exit WTO and bring manufacturing back to the US...I got Chinese BVD's on for christs sake....

So, here's what's happening with the rich paying for the bill, hint: guess who's paying for the bill, and who's not...

The present state of the above promise to partially reverse Trumps corporate tax cuts:

Reality... The ‘Smoke & Mirrors’ Billionaires Tax and 15% Minimum Corporate Tax Proposals
OCTOBER 29, 2021

The Democrats are now embracing two smoke & mirrors funding proposals for the Build Back Better bill:

1) a 15% Corporate Alternative Minimum Tax

2) a new personal Billionaires tax. [I think this is actually out now]

The two tax proposals apparently now replace the previous tax measures that were to pay for most of the Build Back Better bill—i.e. the increase in the corporate tax from 21% to 26% (after Trump cut it in 2017 from 35%); the former proposal to raise the top personal income tax rate back to 39% (from current 37.5%)

The Phony Billionaires Tax

... it is clear that the billionaires tax is a sham. From what is known, it will tax only a small subset of the US 700-800 billionaires. Only those whose assets are worth more than $1 billion and which generate $100 million in annual income for three consecutive years!

So Billionaires like Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Zuckerberg only have to figure out how to hide, divert offshore to some tax shelter, or legally lie in just one of the three consecutive years to ensure his income is less than $100 million that one year.

...Other questions remain such as: what assets will be countered toward the $1 billion? Will assets residing offshore in financial markets, in real property, and real investments there be included in determining the $1 billion? If so, how will Congress or the IRS obtain data on offshore assets when governments there typically refuse to share it with the IRS? And how about assets parked in tax havens like the Cayman Islands—or Vanuatu, Isle of Man, Bermuda or any of the score of useful hideouts by billionaires and their corporations?

And what forms of income will qualify toward the $100 million? Are we talking about pre-tax income or after-tax? Gross income or net income? Interest, rent or capital gains income? How about assets and income from opaque derivatives transactions? Or unreported cryptocurrencies’ appreciation?

And what assets or income will be exempted from the calculations once the thousands of corporate lobbyists now running around Washington DC get their hands in the political till? One can bet the billionaires tax will include a mountain of exclusions, exemptions, and delayed effects.

Three additional big issues apply as well:

1. The tax applies to $100 million income realized in any one of three consecutive years. What years are we talking about? Does the three year period begin with 2021? Or take effect in 2022 which is more likely since US 745 billionaires realized $2.1 trillion gains in their assets in 2021 alone! If the three year period starts in 2022, which is more likely, it means no tax revenue from it will even appear until 2025! By then Republicans will have repealed it all.

2. The tax is apparently a ‘one time levy’. That means once the billionaire pays it once, he’s off the hook forever after.

3. There’s the likelihood the billionaires tax will be tied up in courts for years to come.

So forget about ever seeing the billionaires tax actually producing any revenue. It’s just a marketing tool, peddled by Democrats to the media to make it appear they’re taxing the super-rich in order to pay for what’s left of Biden’s human infrastructure/Build Back Better bill.

The 15% Corporate Minimum Tax Shell-Game

The second proposal—a 15% Minimum Corporate Tax—is just as phony as the billionaires tax.

The 15% minimum tax applies, moreover, only to corporations that earn annual profits of more than $1 billion over three years.

The same criticisms made of the billionaires tax apply again here as well: what three year period are we talking about? Starting when? Is it $1 billion profits every year or just $1 billion averaged over three years? If the latter, it will have to wait until 2025 to realize any tax revenue.

Basing the qualification on annual profits levels raises the same issues of corporations—like individual billionaires—diverting profits to their offshore subsidiaries, or hiding them in offshore tax shelters, or allocating them to various internal slush funds (as corporations do) to reduce the bottom line ‘profits’ reported to the IRS.

And how are profits defined? Is it pre or after tax profits? Profits from interest, rent or sales? And what about financial portfolio profits from investing in stocks, bonds, derivatives, and other financial markets? It’s a well known fact that at least one third of big corporations’ profits come from financial portfolio investments. How does the IRS get accurate global data from other countries that gladly shelter US multinational corporations’ profits made in their financial markets?

Corporations in the US also enjoy today—as they have for decades—what’s called ‘loss carry forward’ in calculating their taxes due to the IRS. They can reduce current and future taxable profits by losses incurred in the past. So does that provision mean corporations that might otherwise qualify under the $1 billion in profits requirement will be able to reduce those future profits, to avoid the 15% tax, by ‘carrying forward’ losses for the 2020 pandemic year?

The 15% Alternative Minimum Tax proposed is but a shadow of the 15% corporate alternative minimum tax that existed before Trump passed his $4.5 trillion tax cut for corporations and investors. In decades past corporations had to pay at least 15%. Bush Jr., then Obama, both let that slide until Trump ended the charade by deleting the corporate Alternative Minimum 15% tax altogether in 2017. So now the Democrats are proposing bringing it back—but as a joke, applied to only 200 corporations at most, according to their Senate finance committee chairman, Ron Wyden.

So,
Guess who's paying for the babysitter for our preschool kids, that one parent used to be able to stay home and play with...

...and get back to work!

We got billionaires to feed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:17 am 

A journalist recently referred to Australian federal parliament as the billionaires’ tuck shop. Amusingly and painfully true.