Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 pm 

Peter Kuper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:45 pm 

Arend van Dam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 am 

Most Oregonians must wear masks in public starting June 24
Updated Jun 18, 3:31 PM; Posted Jun 17, 4:20 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/oregon-gov-kate-brown-requires-masks-in-indoor-public-places-in-7-counties-as-of-june-24.html

Oregonians in seven counties that are home to more than 55% of the state’s population will soon have to wear masks whenever they are in stores or other indoor public spaces, Gov. Kate Brown announced Wednesday.

Starting June 24, people in Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington, Marion, Polk, Hood River and Lincoln counties must cover their faces in such settings to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Brown said in a statement. It will be the latest executive order from the governor in the attempt to rein in the coronavirus outbreak in Oregon that has sickened thousands.

Separately, Lincoln County authorities had decided to mandate the use of face coverings in public as it grapples with a recent surge in coronavirus cases. That directive goes further: It applies to retail shops, grocery stores or any other indoor public space as well as outdoor settings where people or groups cannot maintain six feet of distance from other parties, according to a draft copy obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Bars, restaurants and other eating establishments will be exempt from the order written by Lincoln County health officials. Brown’s order does not address those establishments, which in most counties are already required already to follow social distancing measures but not force patrons to wear masks while trying to eat and drink.

Brown and health officials have long stressed the recommendation that masks be worn in public but it was not a requirement.

Most face coverings do not protect the wearer from coronarvirus, but studies tentatively indicate they help reduce the spread from the wearer to others, even if the wearer does not have symptoms.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that people do as Brown has ordered: wear masks whenever they are in public indoor spaces or in places where they cannot reliably remain six feet from others at all times.

Oregon has experienced record numbers of new cases of the virus this week. Tuesday’s was the most dramatic, with 278 more diagnosis. But 119 of those were from a single, unusual outbreak tied to an evangelical church in the tiny Union County community of Island City, near La Grande.

It was, however, part of a string of highs, in which nine of the past 11 days have surpassed 100 new cases: 122 on Wednesday, 184 Monday, 101 on Sunday, 158 on Saturday, 142 on Friday, 178 on Thursday, 114 on June 8 and 146 on June 7. Previously, the number of new cases in the state had never exceeded 100.

-- Betsy Hammond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:58 am 

A Spanish, a British, a Brazilian and a US citizen are drinking in a bar...

The Spanish says "we have 20k+ COVID deaths!"

The British says "we have 40k+ COVID deaths!"

The US citizen says "we have 120k+ COVID deaths!"

The Brazilian says "you guys are counting?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am 

WHO warns world faces 'dangerous phase' of coronavirus

The World Health Organization (WHO) issued a sobering warning late this week about the status of the coronavirus pandemic, saying that the virus that has killed more than 460,000 people worldwide is still malignant.

"The pandemic is accelerating. More than a 150,000 new cases of COVID-19 were reported [on Thursday], the most in a single day so far," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a press conference Friday.

He added: "The world is in a new a dangerous phase. The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly and most people are still susceptible. We call on all countries and all people to exercise extreme vigilance."

The U.S., which leads the world in confirmed cases and deaths, has seen a spike in cases in several states the past couple weeks. States like Texas and Florida both set records for single daily cases, while California officials called on all people to wear masks amid rising cases.

---------------------------

W.H.O. Warns of ‘Dangerous Phase’ of Pandemic as Outbreaks Widen

CHICAGO — The world has entered a “new and dangerous phase” of the coronavirus pandemic, a top official from the World Health Organization said on Friday,a stark warning that came as the United States struggled to control spiraling outbreaks and as business leaders signaled growing unease with the country’s ability to effectively contend with the virus.

Coronavirus cases spiked sharply across the American South and West, particularly in states that loosened restrictions on businesses several weeks ago.

In Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Arizona, daily counts of new coronavirus cases reached their highest levels of the pandemic this week. Texas, which has seen known cases double in the past month, became the sixth state to surpass 100,000 cases, according to a New York Times database of cases in the United States.

--------------------------------------------

Here in the US Northeast, (my state of Connecticut), the isolation was huge on our death rate, down from hundreds of people dying a day, to sometimes single digits. This time, we're depending on masks, and the kids being off school for the summer.

We will see.... we opened more on June 1st, outdoor seating restaurants and such...then more intimate settings, indoor dining and such several days ago.

At 10 deaths today, using a conservative US 1% death rate and 20 days average from infection to death, then there were 700 cases 20 days ago on June 1st, and with the 5 days to double, there are 11, 200 active cases today, or 1 in 312 people in Connecticut are carriers today.

I prefer the epidemiologists method to use number of deaths as that's the only number that's known accurately. The "number of cases," or "number of confirmed cases" on they broadcast on TV is only tested cases, so it means very little due to incomplete testing. For example they say there have been 45, 000 cases in Connecticut since March, but it's more like 450, 000 since March going by actual deaths.

It's interesting they don't tell us the accurate epidemiologists method of calculating cases on TV, with the actual active cases, and actual ratio of people outside currently infected each day, maybe they don't want to scare us.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is there's been three deadly coronavirus' in the last 20 years, and the animal husbandry conditions that generate this "snowflake to avalanche" environment are continuing to accelerate, (not reverse). It's just science that the next one will be along in another 5 or 7 years or so...how infectious will it be, how deadly will it be, will immunity come, or how fast can we make vaccines are all things we'll find out.

SARS, MERS, Covid-19... next one's coming soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:03 am 

Steve Sack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:36 pm 

Our governor (Pete Ricketts) declared that any county in the state that requires people to wear masks will not get any federal aid. So don't stay safe out there folks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 pm 

But if you have a job as Zorro, do you get an exemption? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:47 am 

Melania Trump wrote:
But if you have a job as Zorro, do you get an exemption? :mrgreen:

Maybe - if you're a Republican.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 pm 

I don't know, but I'm scared of H5N1.

Turns the immune system against one's self in an inflammatory storm that makes one cough, and the harder the better as lungs dissolve, the stronger the immune, the higher the death rate, so like with the H1 spike of the 1918 pandemic, the 20 to 30 somethings get it and 55% die, ...the plus z strain is one virus particle kills 100% in lab rats.

Close contact is needed now with H5N1, but we're waiting for a few more mutations before it goes airborne it's game over.

H5N1 first killed a child in Hong Kong. They saw the new H5 spike and knew the world's human immune systems had never seen it so they immediately killed all the chickens in Hong Kong, millions of chickens (chicken producers were enraged at their financial loss so fought to prevent it), and experts agree that's probably why I can post this now and you can read it.

If we keep the chickens close together so deadlier strains can quickly spread so it doesn't matter if the host dies,* its a matter of time 'till billions of 20 to 30 somethings die, it's not if, it's when we will be left with orphans and older people...leading experts at the WHO and CDC say "forget the if, it's when this happens."

H1N1 parented a new form of mutating virus strains, "the flu's were born"... snowflakes to an avalanche as mutations multiply as we pack poultry tighter together, and increase our contact with them uncooked, (the dangerous kitchen).

We're sorta under attack here...

(the more industrial farming packs birds closer together, the more mutations are successful).

Data is there were a few less contagious outbreaks of H1N1 in 1917, a year before the 1918 super infectious airborne pandemic...sorta like where we are now with H5N1, just need a few more mutations to get it from close contact - to airborne contagious...pack those chickens close, we'll get it.

That's our track now, H5N1 is in packed chicken farms world wide, creating billions of mutations daily, but it's not on TV so the short term profits are safe, thankfully :)

It's almost 1918, but with a 55% death rate this time of H5N1 instead of 5% as in H1N1 1918 flu pandemic...in the backyard orphans play jump-rope:

"I once had a bird,
it's name was Enza.
I opened the window,
and influenza."

*Chicken distancing"...keeping them farther apart instead of packed close together and only less lethal mutations can be selected as the more lethal ones kill the host too quickly before spreading... packed tightly together more deadly mutations can spread frequently and quickly... Old "McDonalds" packed tightly chicken farms; the virus breeding grounds an unholy science experiments for profit.

...BTW, something else that's not on TV... cuz we'd all get mad if we found out...

As most know, antibiotics don't work on virus', but recently they did come up with two revolutionary antivirals that block the H5 spike from accessing cells, an ace in the hole to save billions of thirty somethings when the H5N1 virus goes viral...

So what happened? The poultry industry lobbied our corrupt "less-evil" government and now pro-actively gives the breakthrough antivirals to their chickens to prevent them from getting sick and dying... squandering humanity's ace in the hole on healthy birds, trading human lives later for chicken's lives [profits] today...and the result of course is only H5N1 strains that are resistant to the new antivirals will be selected and emerge, and the new antivirals will be ineffective later as billions of thirty-somethings die when the H5 pandemic comes....it's not if.

Vote Biden, vote Trump, vote for the rich!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pm 

We're good, though, the news said we can go back to work now. :)

Last edited by baddy on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:07 am 

Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus

June 24, 20203:23 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
Christianna Silva

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883017035/what-contact-tracing-may-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

As the U.S. begins to open back up, coronavirus clusters — where multiple people contract COVID-19 at the same event or location — are popping up all over the country. And despite drawing massive crowds, protests against police violence and racial injustice in Washington state weren't among those clusters.

"We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we're finding is in large part that's due to the use of masks," Erika Lautenbach, the director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, tells NPR's All Things Considered. "Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it's really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease."

For the clusters that have popped up, Lautenbach says the state has been using contact tracing to learn more about how they're contributing to the spread of the virus. For instance, it found that 14 cases were associated with a party of 100 to 150 people in early June. Subsequently, 15 more cases were associated with the original 14.

"So that one event spread to 29 people and 31 related employers," Lautenbach says. "Our challenge is to continue to trace as it moves through families, as it moves through workplaces and as it moves through social events as well."

But protests just aren't spreading the disease in the same way, Lautenbach says.

"We're finding that the social events and gatherings, these parties where people aren't wearing masks, are our primary source of infection," Lautenbach says. "And then the secondary source of infection is workplace settings. There were 31 related employers just associated with that one party because of the number of people that brought that to their workplace. So for us, for a community our size, that's a pretty massive spread."

And much of that spread, Lautenbach says, is affecting young people.

"We have seen almost a near flip in the cases that we're experiencing," Lautenbach says. "So in April of this year, we were really struggling with long-term-care outbreaks. And so about 3 out of 4 people were over the age of 30 and really pretty heavily skewed to 60-plus. And by contrast, in June, we're seeing that now 2 out of 3 people that have contracted this disease are under 29."

That trend is mirrored in Florida, where the median age for COVID-19 patients dropped from 65 years old in March to 37 in late June. Dr. Cheryl Holder, an associate professor at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, says that's partly because young people are getting exposed more.

"It's really basically who gets exposed," Holder tells Morning Edition. "If you look who is staying in and following the guidelines, [it's] older people who are at risk. The older folks got [the message]; the young people, not so much."

That's Lautenbach's worry too.

"The concern is that because these younger people are having more mild symptoms, they are going to work sick, they are visiting with their parents and grandparents sick and they're continuing to go to social events where they expose more and more people," Lautenbach says. "So when we think about that web of spread, that web just grows and grows and grows."
Not against the protests at all, but this info seems bogus. I've seen a lot of footage of people not wearing masks at protests. THOUSANDS of people have attended these events, have they monitored all of them? So many people can be asymptomatic carriers, especially in the primary protester age group. The disease spiked almost exactly two weeks after this all started, coincidence? Thousands of people can gather in a non-socially distanced setting and not trigger anything, but if I go to my friend's backyard BBQ this weekend unmasked I might trigger a nation wide spike in a contagious disease. Not buying it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am 

Mike Luckovich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 pm 

I am slightly but I have observed lockdown and quite enjoyed that aspect of it, it's been productive. I've moved to Spain now though, so the weather is much more agreeable and that definitely helps. :mrgreen:

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I am slightly but I have observed lockdown and quite enjoyed that aspect of it, it's been productive. I've moved to Spain now though, so the weather is much more agreeable and that definitely helps. :mrgreen:

Good for you Scrut... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I've moved to Spain now though, so the weather is much more agreeable and that definitely helps. :mrgreen:

And it's more Central :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am 

Today at work i experienced a body temperature test the first time ever since this corona shit started. I needed this to be allowed to enter an office-building. The security guard held the sensor device against my forehead like a pistol and said: "36.2 degree" and than handed me over the key card i needed to use the elevator.
I am still not sure if the whole mess should scare or simply amuse me :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Today at work i experienced a body temperature test the first time ever since this corona shit started. I needed this to be allowed to enter an office-building. The security guard held the sensor device against my forehead like a pistol and said: "36.2 degree" and than handed me over the key card i needed to use the elevator.

How long until intimate search?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:31 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
ursinator wrote:

How long until intimate search?

Lol, it wasn't the lack of privacy that impressed me. It was the surrealistic aroma of the whole scene that i was part of :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9