Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:46 am 

I'll check with Donald :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 am 

Bruce Plante

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 am 

Southern right whale in Wellington might be a return to form for the hunted species

THOMAS MANCH
Last updated 15:49, July 9 2018

The mysteries swimming around Wellington's whale will remain unanswered for the time being.

National Institute of Water and Atmospheric (Niwa) has little to show from initial research into the whale, answering few questions about the visitor who arrived in Wellington Harbour on July 2.

In publishing their latest findings, researchers have sought to quash speculation the southern right whale may be male, saying results of a dart gun biopsy are possibly weeks away.

ROSA WOODS/STUFF
Niwa has released initial findings into the Southern Right Whale which has captured the attention of Wellingtonians.

And a possible recording of the whale's call brings us no closer to understanding its motives.

Wellingtonians have scrambled to see the whale. On Monday, there were reporting sightings near the Interislander ferry terminal and across the harbour near Te Papa.

On Sunday, a steady stream of onlookers keen to glimpse the playful whale caused traffic jams around Evan's Bay.

While the week-long visitor to Wellington Harbour is not unprecedented, there is hope it is a sign of improving fortunes for the hunted species.

University of Auckland PhD student Victoria Warren, who has analysed data recorded in the harbour last week, said speculation that the whale's regular breaching indicated it was male was premature.

"There is no real need for male southern right whales to show off to females, because a female mates with multiple males, and the male that produces the most sperm is usually the one that fertilises the egg."

DEREK QUINN/SNPA
The rare southern right whale swimming in Wellington harbour, just off from the Interislander ferry terminal. It was again seen near the terminal on Monday.

Listening to 70 minutes of underwater audio taken within 100m of the whale, Warren said there were five possible whale calls captured.

There were one potential "upcalls", and two "downcalls", and no male-indicative "gunshot sounds" recorded.

"However, it is difficult to tell whether these sounds were produced by the whale because of vessel noise in the harbour. No gunshot sounds were recorded so we have no more clues about the animal's gender."

Warren said southern right whales make an annual migration north from Antarctica, and a Wellington Harbour visit was not unprecedented.

"It may be a sign of a recovering population follow the decimating impacts of commercial and illegal whaling."

An estimated 2200 whales commonly winter off the sub-Antarctic Auckland Islands in the south, a population thought to recover by 7 per cent per year, according to a 2016 paper published by the Royal Society.

ROSA WOODS/STUFF
The southern right whale was splashing in Evan's Bay on Sunday, attracting a steady stream of onlookers.

This is estimated to be only 12 per cent of the population in New Zealand waters prior to whaling.

DNA evidence indicated fewer than 40 mature females survived the 19th Century purge, and no whales were seen in mainland waters for the 35 years between 1928 and 1963.

But a slow recolonisation of mainland bays might be taking place.

KARL HALVORSEN/SUPPLIED
The southern right whale surfaces behind a Niwa research boat in Wellington Harbour.

A 2003 Department of Conservation paper on southern right sightings noted 11 possible cow and calf southern right whale pairs had been seen around the mainland in 25 years.

Whales without calves were reported to rarely stay longer than a week at a location, with some cow and calf pairs staying longer than two weeks.

It was impossible to tell how long a whale might stay in the harbour, and the whale's behaviour showed no cause for concern, Warren said.

- Stuff

clips of whale action: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105339 ... ed-species

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am 

Boris Johnson resigns - good fucking riddance...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44770847

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 pm 

Now I can slot my Boris in :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 am 

Caputh wrote:

Will Bo-Jo try for Prime Minister Caputh?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am 

Time For A Standing Ovation 8)

File Under: I'm Sorry I Asked The Question

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/07/12/peter-strzok-defends-anti-trump-texts-gowdy-sot-vpx.cnn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 am 

MAN WITH WORLD'S LONGEST FINGERNAILS CUTS THEM OFF AFTER 66 YEARS, SELLS THEM TO MUSEUM
By Christina Zhao On Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:29
http://www.newsweek.com/man-worlds-longest-fingernails-cuts-them-after-66-years-donates-them-museum-1020142

A man with fingernails longer than a bus finally cut them off during a “nail clipping ceremony” in New York earlier this week after 66 years of growing them out.

Shridhar Chillal, 82, from Pune, India, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest fingernails on one hand.

He was first inspired to grow out nails on his left hand in 1952, when he was 16 years old, after a teacher berated him for accidentally breaking one of hers. According to Chillal, the teacher warned him about the level of care required to grow out nails and said he would never understand unless he experienced it for himself, reported The Guardian.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I think that's his tactic - but very few people (even Tories) believe anything that comes out his mouth anymore. Mind you, I did think the same thing about Trump and look what happened :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm 

Well he has got the good crazy hair in the back. top and everywhere really, that all great leaders need to have for a long a successful career

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 am 

New indictment expected in Mueller probe

Washington (CNN) Prosecutors from special counsel Robert Mueller's office and the Justice Department's National Security Division visited the courtroom of a federal magistrate judge in Washington at 11:30 a.m. ET to return a grand jury indictment, according to an itinerary posted outside the courtroom.

This story is breaking and will be updated

The Latest: Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein announces indictments of 12 Russian nationals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 am 

Caputh wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am 

Meanwhile the the TV distractions keep the sheeple well occupied...

US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria

Jason Ditz Posted on July 13, 2018

US and coalition planes in the eastern Syrian province of Deir Ezzor attacked a village along the Iraqi border which had some ISIS remnant forces within. Among the strikes was an airstrike against the local ice factory, which families were hiding out in waiting for the end of the raid.

At least 28 civilians, and over 30 civilians by some accounts, were killed in the attack, and dozens of others were wounded. The Syrian state media reported that the US was behind the strike.

The US did not contest this assessment, with a spokesman saying that US coalition forces “may have conducted strikes in the vicinity” and promised that there would be an assessment at some point regarding civilian casualties.

Pentagon assessments of civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria don’t have the best track record. In general, the Pentagon reports cover about 10% of civilian casualties reported by human rights groups, dismissing everything else as non-credible.

It would probably be on the propaganda channels 24x7 for a week if Syria bombed 28 people in New York City.

Yet for some reason, Americans still watch it, believe it, live and vote by it, tell others to vote by it, and call it "the news." No wonder we only get asshole nominees like Hillary and trump, no wonder we struggle to give all we've earn to the hyper-rich. A fool and his money are soon parted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I think that's his tactic - but very few people (even Tories) believe anything that comes out his mouth anymore. Mind you, I did think the same thing about Trump and look what happened :|
Maybe Boris looked in the mirror and thought - if that fat bastard Trump can do it, so can this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 am 

What an assholes...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/07/18/st ... -airlines/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:16 am 

BBP wrote:
R.J. Matson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:02 pm 

‘Mass casualty incident’: Multiple dead as vessel sinks on Table Rock Lake, official says

https://www.ktts.com/news/local-news/breaking-ride-the-ducks-capsized-on-table-rock-lake-with-several-people-on-board

UPDATE: Stone County Sheriff Confirms 8 Fatalities Involved In Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizing
The Stone County sheriff has confirmed 8 fatalities, he says it involved the Ride The Ducks boat capsizing on Table Rock Lake.

Several emergency crews have been on the scene since 7 p.m. after a severe line of thunderstorms came through the area.

Sheriff Doug Rader says the boat had 31 people on board.

Sheriff Rader tells KTTS News 7 people were taken to the hospital with several still missing. He says they're not sure how many are still missing.

Cox in Branson is confirming six patients with three under the age of 18.

Emergency crews say the boat ended up sinking in the lake.

Divers are on the scene searching.

Originally reported

Crews from multiple agencies are on scene of an MCI “Mass Casualty Incident” “tourist type boat involved” this is on Table Rock Lake, Stone County, Branson Missouri.

Taney County assisting.

Several patients transported to area hospital.

Divers on scene.

Staging at Branson Belle. However the Branson Belle is not involved. Emergency crews have been on the scene where an amphibious boat on Table Rock Lake has capsized where there’s reports several people were on the boat.

The Southern Stone County Fire Protection District says it happened as a severe line of thunderstorms rolled through the area. Crews have been setting up near the Branson Belle, KY3 is reporting that the incident has nothing to do with the Belle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm 

Gary Varvel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 pm 

The cost of Trump's Endangered Species Act proposal
By Max Matza
BBC News, Washington

The Trump administration has proposed changes to the Endangered Species Act (ESA), a law credited with keeping hundreds of species from going extinct.

The change would eliminate automatic protections for threatened plant and animal species, and make it easier for species to be removed from the list.
Wildlife conservation groups say the proposed change could have disastrous lasting effects on at-risk species.

Trump officials say the change will streamline the regulatory process.
The proposed change is the latest in a series of White House efforts to remove environmental regulations designed to protect vulnerable species and their habitats, as well as leave untouched some of America's most wild places. (new places to put oil pipelines etc.)

"If these regulations had been in place in the 1970s, the bald eagle and the grey whale would be extinct today."
The Endangered Species Act was signed into law in 1973 by Republican President Richard Nixon and now protects more than 1,200 plant and animal species.

The list of species is maintained by US Fish and Wildlife and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which oversees marine species.
It has been credited with reviving bald eagle populations and bringing the Yellowstone grizzly bear back from the edge of extinction.
sed change to the ESA includes a narrowing of the definition of "foreseeable future".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:50 am 

Funny, it's not on the news...When someone bombs people in the US or UK its on the news, and everyone cries about it...almost like the people who control the news don't want us to know what we're doing, like the shit show about trump might be just a distraction from our bombing... Keep 'em distracted, keep 'em divided, keep 'em bombing... The small children were of course "Taliban fighters."

US Airstrike Killed 14 Civilians in Northern Afghanistan

..."The US is struggling to shift the narrative on what happened, and now says that the family of 14 killed, which included small children, including a three-year-old girl, were all “Taliban fighters,” and that no civilians were killed."

Chalk up another one for the apathetic non voters and lesser evils, all they are saying, is give war a chance....

"Don't forget to register to vote." - FZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:14 am 

Way on down in NZ you'd have to try hard to find that kind of b a d news on our state funded broadcaster(s)

Most of us know where to look.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 am 

Underground Lake Found On Mars by Italian Radar MARSIS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863  Next