Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 843, 844, 845, 846, 847
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 4625
Location: Over there! (last)
Trump allies urge him not to talk to Mueller

Scott Stantis
Image

Trump accuses FBI agent removed from Mueller probe of committing 'treason'

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 7475
Location: The Thumb
False alarm for missile strike in Hawaii. (?!?!)What the duce? How does this even happen? At first I though it was some hacker, but then it was mentioned that someone in a control room bumped into the button. I would think a button like that would be under a hinged, plastic flip-top cover to prevent that.

Image
Image

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm 
Online

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 4908
They're now reporting it was a test, via text. So, apparently the test worked.

"Good evening. This is your Captain.
We are about to attempt a crash landing.
Please extinguish all cigarettes.
Place your tray tables in their
upright, locked position.
Your Captain says: Put your head on your knees.
Your Captain says: Put your head in your hands.
Put your hands on your hips. Heh heh.
This is your Captain--and we are going down.
We are all going down, together.
And I said: Uh oh. This is gonna be some day.
Standby. This is the time.
And this is the record of the time.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.
Uh--this is your Captain again.
You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Why? Cause I'm a caveman.
Why? Cause I've got eyes in the back of my head.
Why? It's the heat. Standby.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

Put your hands over your eyes. Jump out of the plane.
There is no pilot. You are not alone. Standby.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time."

From The Air - Laurie Anderson, from Big Science (1982)

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 24316
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
wtf

Hawaiians rattled by 'false alarm' missile alert sent to their mobile phones video
Last updated 08:56, January 14 2018

Alerts advising Hawaiians to "seek immediate shelter" from an incoming ballistic missile were sent in error, the US Pacific Command says.

Shortly after 8am on Saturday (early Sunday morning NZ time), several alarmed Hawaii residents began posting screenshots of alerts they had received reading: "BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

Soon after, Democratic representative Tulsi Gabbard sent a tweet reassuring residents that the alert was a false alarm.
Image
The text message received by Hawaiians on Saturday night local time.

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency also said on its Twitter account that there is "NO missile threat to Hawaii."

HEMA spokesman Richard Repoza said it was a false alarm and the agency is trying to determine what happened.

"It was a false alarm based on human error," Democratic Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii later said on Twitter, without offering evidence. Schatz said Hawaii's roughly 1.5 million residents were "terrified. There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process."

Hawaii has been on high alert given claims by North Korea that its newest intercontinental ballistic missile could fly 13,000 kilometres. If true, that would put even the mainland US within range from Pyongyang.

"At a time of heightened tensions, we need to make sure all information released to the community is accurate," Senator Mazie Hirono, a Democrat, said on Twitter. "We need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again."

The alert caused a tizzy on the island and across social media.

Jamie Malapit, owner of a Honolulu hair salon, texted his clients that he was cancelling their appointments and was closing his shop for the day. He said he was still in bed when the phone started going off "like crazy". He thought it was a tsunami warning at first.

"I woke up and saw missile warning and thought no way. I thought 'No, this is not happening today,'" Malapit said.

He was still "a little freaked out" and feeling paranoid even after hearing it was a false alarm.

"I went from panic to semi panic and 'Are we sure?'" he said.

This isn't the first time false emergency alerts have sent US residents into a panic.

In September last year, some Californians were stunned when their television programming was interrupted with an ominous message predicting the end of the world.

"Realise this, extremely violent times will come," a man's voice boomed during the minute-long broadcast.

The mysterious alert was eventually traced back to emergency tests conducted by radio stations. Cable TV systems pick up such alerts, although viewers should have seen a typical emergency broadcast test message.

It remained unclear why the audio warning of "extremely violent times" was picked up with the alert.

New Zealand's Civil Defence introduced emergency mobile phone alerts in November for "serious hazards that involve threats to life, health or property, or in some cases for test purposes".

These could include tsunamis, serious wildfires, armed offenders at large, or contaminated drinking water.

The alerts are broadcast via cell towers to the specific areas affected.

Only some emergency agencies are authorised to send the alerts, including police, fire and other government departments.

- Agencies

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... ile-phones

_________________
hey punk, what're you doing with that B I G button on your desk?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 11849
Location: EINDHOVEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_shsRfXqk

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 7475
Location: The Thumb
There must be a way in which I can shift attention away from my "shit-hole countries" phrase, to take the heat off donself for a week. #wagthedog

The government of North Korea must be enjoying the mayhem this caused.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.
"The Monsters are Due on Maple Street"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 24316
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
meanwhile in entertainment news

How David Letterman Just Reinvented the TV Talk Show – Again

Netflix's 'My Next Guest Needs No Introduction' strips everything away but the interview – and it isn't just Letterman's beard that's new.....
Image
How Netflix's 'My Next Guest Needs No Introduction' finds David Letterman reinventing the talk show again – for better or worse. Our review. Joe Pugliese/Netflix

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/ho ... in-w515379

_________________
hey punk, what're you doing with that B I G button on your desk?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 30295
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Milton Bradley wrote:
False alarm for missile strike in Hawaii. (?!?!)What the duce? How does this even happen? At first I though it was some hacker, but then it was mentioned that someone in a control room bumped into the button. I would think a button like that would be under a hinged, plastic flip-top cover to prevent that.

Image
Image

Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 11849
Location: EINDHOVEN
Looks like the Bayeux tapestry might come to England...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... an-britain

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 4272
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: Cheyenne Rose Antoine (left) pleaded guilty to killing Brittney Gargol (right) after police found this selfie on Facebook which shows Cheyenne wearing the belt which was used to strangle Brittney.

Cheyenne, who claims she doesn't remember murdering her friend, was sentenced to seven years for manslaughter...

_________________
Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am 
Online

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 4908
punknaynowned wrote:
They're now reporting it was a test, via text. So, apparently the test worked.


So a test, but an error where they hit the wrong selection on a drop-down menu.
Imagine, the difference in just a few pixels creates so many unintended laundry bills.
This is the new Trump economy...

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 11849
Location: EINDHOVEN
There's been a tremendous storm here, wind speeds up to 140 km/h.
Footage:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2212489-in-beeld ... omver.html

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 am 
Online

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 4908
I've heard they shut down the Amsterdam airport because of the storm!

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 11849
Location: EINDHOVEN
Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1776
Location: Bordeaux, France
BBP wrote:
Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.


Man with all those wind turbines cranking out the electricity, you guys will be exporting soon....Oooops, i forgot you can't store that energie can you.

Stay save Bon.

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1776
Location: Bordeaux, France
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
BBP wrote:
Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.


Man with all those wind turbines cranking out the electricity, you guys will be exporting soon....Oooops, i forgot you can't store that energie can you.

Stay save Bon.


BTW that storm's name is David. So you know it'll be a nasty fucker! :smoke:

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 11849
Location: EINDHOVEN
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
BBP wrote:
Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.


Man with all those wind turbines cranking out the electricity, you guys will be exporting soon....Oooops, i forgot you can't store that energie can you.

Stay save Bon.


Better David than Donald!
BTW that storm's name is David. So you know it'll be a nasty fucker! :smoke:

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 843, 844, 845, 846, 847

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: punknaynowned and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group