Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 843, 844, 845, 846, 847
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am 

Trump allies urge him not to talk to Mueller

Scott Stantis

Trump accuses FBI agent removed from Mueller probe of committing 'treason'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm 

False alarm for missile strike in Hawaii. (?!?!)What the duce? How does this even happen? At first I though it was some hacker, but then it was mentioned that someone in a control room bumped into the button. I would think a button like that would be under a hinged, plastic flip-top cover to prevent that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm 

They're now reporting it was a test, via text. So, apparently the test worked.

"Good evening. This is your Captain.
We are about to attempt a crash landing.
Please extinguish all cigarettes.
Place your tray tables in their
upright, locked position.
Your Captain says: Put your head on your knees.
Your Captain says: Put your head in your hands.
Put your hands on your hips. Heh heh.
This is your Captain--and we are going down.
We are all going down, together.
And I said: Uh oh. This is gonna be some day.
Standby. This is the time.
And this is the record of the time.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.
Uh--this is your Captain again.
You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Why? Cause I'm a caveman.
Why? Cause I've got eyes in the back of my head.
Why? It's the heat. Standby.

Put your hands over your eyes. Jump out of the plane.
There is no pilot. You are not alone. Standby.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time."

From The Air - Laurie Anderson, from Big Science (1982)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 pm 

wtf

Hawaiians rattled by 'false alarm' missile alert sent to their mobile phones video
Last updated 08:56, January 14 2018

Alerts advising Hawaiians to "seek immediate shelter" from an incoming ballistic missile were sent in error, the US Pacific Command says.

Shortly after 8am on Saturday (early Sunday morning NZ time), several alarmed Hawaii residents began posting screenshots of alerts they had received reading: "BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

Soon after, Democratic representative Tulsi Gabbard sent a tweet reassuring residents that the alert was a false alarm.
The text message received by Hawaiians on Saturday night local time.

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency also said on its Twitter account that there is "NO missile threat to Hawaii."

HEMA spokesman Richard Repoza said it was a false alarm and the agency is trying to determine what happened.

"It was a false alarm based on human error," Democratic Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii later said on Twitter, without offering evidence. Schatz said Hawaii's roughly 1.5 million residents were "terrified. There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process."

Hawaii has been on high alert given claims by North Korea that its newest intercontinental ballistic missile could fly 13,000 kilometres. If true, that would put even the mainland US within range from Pyongyang.

"At a time of heightened tensions, we need to make sure all information released to the community is accurate," Senator Mazie Hirono, a Democrat, said on Twitter. "We need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again."

The alert caused a tizzy on the island and across social media.

Jamie Malapit, owner of a Honolulu hair salon, texted his clients that he was cancelling their appointments and was closing his shop for the day. He said he was still in bed when the phone started going off "like crazy". He thought it was a tsunami warning at first.

"I woke up and saw missile warning and thought no way. I thought 'No, this is not happening today,'" Malapit said.

He was still "a little freaked out" and feeling paranoid even after hearing it was a false alarm.

"I went from panic to semi panic and 'Are we sure?'" he said.

This isn't the first time false emergency alerts have sent US residents into a panic.

In September last year, some Californians were stunned when their television programming was interrupted with an ominous message predicting the end of the world.

"Realise this, extremely violent times will come," a man's voice boomed during the minute-long broadcast.

The mysterious alert was eventually traced back to emergency tests conducted by radio stations. Cable TV systems pick up such alerts, although viewers should have seen a typical emergency broadcast test message.

It remained unclear why the audio warning of "extremely violent times" was picked up with the alert.

New Zealand's Civil Defence introduced emergency mobile phone alerts in November for "serious hazards that involve threats to life, health or property, or in some cases for test purposes".

These could include tsunamis, serious wildfires, armed offenders at large, or contaminated drinking water.

The alerts are broadcast via cell towers to the specific areas affected.

Only some emergency agencies are authorised to send the alerts, including police, fire and other government departments.

- Agencies

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... ile-phones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_shsRfXqk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm 

There must be a way in which I can shift attention away from my "shit-hole countries" phrase, to take the heat off donself for a week. #wagthedog

The government of North Korea must be enjoying the mayhem this caused.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.
"The Monsters are Due on Maple Street"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm 

meanwhile in entertainment news

How David Letterman Just Reinvented the TV Talk Show – Again

Netflix's 'My Next Guest Needs No Introduction' strips everything away but the interview – and it isn't just Letterman's beard that's new.....
How Netflix's 'My Next Guest Needs No Introduction' finds David Letterman reinventing the talk show again – for better or worse. Our review. Joe Pugliese/Netflix

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/ho ... in-w515379

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
False alarm for missile strike in Hawaii. (?!?!)What the duce? How does this even happen? At first I though it was some hacker, but then it was mentioned that someone in a control room bumped into the button. I would think a button like that would be under a hinged, plastic flip-top cover to prevent that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 am 

Looks like the Bayeux tapestry might come to England...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... an-britain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm 

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: Cheyenne Rose Antoine (left) pleaded guilty to killing Brittney Gargol (right) after police found this selfie on Facebook which shows Cheyenne wearing the belt which was used to strangle Brittney.

Cheyenne, who claims she doesn't remember murdering her friend, was sentenced to seven years for manslaughter...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
They're now reporting it was a test, via text. So, apparently the test worked.

So a test, but an error where they hit the wrong selection on a drop-down menu.
Imagine, the difference in just a few pixels creates so many unintended laundry bills.
This is the new Trump economy...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 am 

There's been a tremendous storm here, wind speeds up to 140 km/h.
Footage:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2212489-in-beeld ... omver.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 am 

I've heard they shut down the Amsterdam airport because of the storm!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 am 

Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 am 

BBP wrote:
Yep! Plus parts of the roof have come off, now two of the three entry gates are closed.
A lot of trains have stopped - some were stranded for hours because of powerline failure. Train stations in Breda, Almere and The Hague have been evacuated. Almere even evacuated the entire town centre. Public transport has stopped in The Hague altogether because of too many falling trees. Ferries have stopped. Dykes are reinforced and the inflatable dam of Kampen has been activated. At least 27 trucks have blown over. So far there are three casualties in The Netherlands and one in Belgium.

Man with all those wind turbines cranking out the electricity, you guys will be exporting soon....Oooops, i forgot you can't store that energie can you.

Stay save Bon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
BBP wrote:

Man with all those wind turbines cranking out the electricity, you guys will be exporting soon....Oooops, i forgot you can't store that energie can you.

Stay save Bon.

BTW that storm's name is David. So you know it'll be a nasty fucker! :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
BBP wrote:

Stay save Bon.

Better David than Donald!
BTW that storm's name is David. So you know it'll be a nasty fucker! :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 am 

in entertainment news

Spinal Tap's Derek Smalls To Drop Debut Solo Album In Character
By Holly Williams in Music / Festivals on 19 January 2018

'Smalls Change (Meditations Upon Ageing)' arrives in April.

For comedy value and genuine musical fun 'This Is Spinal Tap' star Harry Shearer is launching a new solo album as his mockumentary character Derek Smalls. 'Smalls Change (Meditations Upon Ageing)' will be released later this year followed by a US tour with full details yet to be announced.
Derek Smalls performing with Spinal Tap at Glastonbury

It's been 34 years since the parody rockumentary became a cult sensation, and now Spinal Tap bassist Derek Smalls himself is releasing his debut solo venture this Spring. He's also set to follow-up with a tour entitled 'Lukewarm Water Live: An Adventure in Loud Music'.

'[It's] halfway between 'rage against the dying light' and trying to find the light', Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls told Rolling Stone of the album.

Smalls has also released the track listing complete with hilarious descriptions. For example, he describes how 'in one lifetime, the telephone has gone from a miracle to a pain in the arse' in 'Butt Call', how 'MRI' matters because 'Everybody's going to have one, eventually. It's just another ride. To hell, but still'. Then there's 'Gummin the Gash' which he calls the 'celebration of the meeting of two toothless cavities'.

The guests credited on the record are no joke, however. Among those who have contributed include David Crosby, Peter Frampton, Steely Dan's Donald Fagen, Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith, Yes' Rick Wakeman, Frank Zappa's son Dweezil Zappa, touring guitarist Joe Satriani and it also sees the return of Steve Vai who worked on the original Spinal Tap music.

'Lukewarm Water Live' will take Smalls to New Orleans' Saenger Theater on April 14th with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as Atlanta's Symphony Hall with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Washington D.C.'s Kennedy Center with the National Symphony Orchestra.

'Smalls Change (Meditations Upon Ageing)' will be released on April 13th 2018 through Twanky Records and BMG.

Contactmusic

http://www.contactmusic.com/spinal-tap/ ... um_5963682

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:47 am 

Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose

NEW YORK — Tom Petty's family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

His wife and daughter released the results of Petty's autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner's office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications
The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner's office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and *SPAM* in his system.

They say Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.

He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner's office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and *SPAM* in his system.

That Spam is pretty deadly stuff! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:17 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

That Spam is pretty deadly stuff! :shock:

It's the high o x y c o d o n e content

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 am 

Image the rockers are lacing spam with oxycodone now!?!?

sheeesh!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 843, 844, 845, 846, 847