Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:04 am 

Found on the Net...Dweezil interview :<br><br>"<br>Dweezil is interviewed in the latest edition of Sound On Sound, <br>and talks about the UMRK upgrade and the work he’s now able to do on his dad’s music <br>plus his own stuff too. Here are some excerpts:<br>There are tons of new projects that we’re excited about getting involved with.<br>Before, we weren’t even able to listen to older recordings; <br>the analogue machines were in disrepair, and we really didn’t have the ability to work <br>on any of my dad’s music for almost a dozen years.<br>One project that I’ve been gearing up to finish is called What The Hell Was I Thinking?, <br>a 75-minute continuous piece of music that is guitar, bass and drums. <br>I started recording it on analogue tape almost 13 years ago. Now, with my new set-up <br>I’m actually going to be able to compile the whole project. <br>There are probably about 35 guest guitar players on it, everybody from Brian <br>May to Edward Van Halen it’s  quite a crazy project. I’m still waiting and <br>hoping to record Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page as some of my final guests on there. <br>We have several new releases coming out, including Apostrophe and Over-nite Sensation. <br>Now that Joe Travers is up and running on his Nuendo system, <br>he’s archiving away and listening to all these things that absolutely no-one else gets <br>to hear; that is, until we decide to release it.<br>We could put out a series whenever we want, and still do everything else <br>we’ve promised to do and need to do. We’re probably going to release a few records on SACD.<br>There’s never been a better time to show the difference between my dad’s music and<br>the musicians that played with him, versus what people think are the best musicians now. <br>They should watch the Baby Snakes DVD and see the level that people were playing at<br>25 years ago.<br>"<br><br>New projects ? Apostrophe and Over Nite Sensation ?<br>And some SACD stuff !!!<br><br>And Roxy ? Petit Wazoo ?<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:36 pm 

Progress?

September 29, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Hello, Everyone,

I've always admired my dad's quote, "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." I find it to be motivational. For me, it inspires creative thinking in all facets of life.

On the subject of progress, there doesn't seem to be any regarding my settlement proposal that was sent to the ZFT.

On September 26th, 2017, I once again offered a fair proposal that would allow the Zappa trademark dispute to end immediately.

Since their receipt of the proposal, the ZFT lawyers have been silent.

In a recent blog of mine I brought attention to Ahmet Zappa's quote in Rolling Stone. It bares repeating once again.

Rolling Stone magazine, September 21, 2017. "Last year, Dweezil revealed that he had to license his own last name in order to perform in a long-running show he devised in tribute to his father called Zappa Plays Zappa and could not sell related merchandise. He also claimed he received a cease-and-desist from the Zappa Family Trust and subsequently rebranded his tour as 50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F@%k He Wants – The Cease and Desist Tour. Ahmet told Rolling Stone Dweezil's claims that the estate was attempting to stop him were '1 million percent false.'”

Ahmet claims that the ZFT has not been trying to stop me from playing my Dad's music (I've shown the Cease & Desist Letters which prove he has), he claims he has not been trying to block me from using my own name to identify myself as a musician but I've exposed that in legal documents the ZFT has made this statement:

“The Trust does not agree to your client’s use of DWEEZIL ZAPPA as a trademark in connection with any and all services.”

The ZFT recently attemtped some legal sleight of hand by ammending the Applicant’s (ZFT) Second Supplemental Response to Opposer’s (DZ) First Set of Interrogatories dated September 25, 2017.

In it, they altered their position just slightly for appearances and have attempted to then disingenuously pass it off as having been their position the whole time. It also appeared to be an effort to sway public opinion in their favor by attaching the newly minted document to their social media posts along with the title of a Frank Zappa song called, "When The Lie Is So Big."

It is a catchy title but beyond that, it does nothing to support any credibility for them. In fact, they've dug a bigger hole for themselves. My lawyer responded to theirs with this statement which included a settlement proposal.

Sid:
I have reviewed Applicant’s Second Supplemental Response to Opposer’s First Set of Interrogatories dated September 25, 2017 (yesterday), which adds this new statement to your previous response: “The Zappa Family Trust has no issue with Dweezil Zappa using his full name to identify or describe himself as a musician.” We view your newly announced position as an opportunity for Dweezil to once again propose a path to resolution of the opposition action. Dweezil is willing to dismiss the opposition action if the ZFT is willing to enter into a coexistence agreement that provides that ZFT consents to Dweezil’s use and registration of the trademark DWEEZIL ZAPPA in connection with various goods and services, including in the music and entertainment field. Please let me know if your client would like to explore entering into a coexistence agreement and resolving this opposition.

A few days have passed and there has been no response from the ZFT. This is the second time I have offered a settlement and logic dictates that if the ZFT really had no issue with me using my name in the field of live music and entertainment that they would jump at the chance to enter into a coexistence agreement with me.

Instead, their actions speak louder than words, revealing more than a lack of credibility on their part. Their actions demonstrate their motives and what appears to be their true intention: they seek to block me from using my own name in the field of live music and entertainment.

Every day that goes by without them entering into a peaceful co-existence trademark agreement with me only further demonstrates their true intentions and erodes their trustworthiness.

Bizarrely, the ZFT appears to think that they can persuade anyone to believe them by saying whatever they like without being able to back it up with facts. Case in point, when Ahmet told Rolling Stone that my claims that the estate was attempting to stop me were '1 million percent false'”

I started this blog with an inspirational quote and I have another quote to end it. "By doubting we come to inquire, and by inquiring we perceive the truth." - Peter Abelard.

Well ZFT, if my claims are '1 million percent false'” (which they aren't) then put your money where your mouth is and sign the agreement to resolve this dispute.

DZ

https://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1983702-progress
and
https://www.jambase.com/article/dweezil ... mily-trust

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 pm 

Since I am slightly bored and chained to this computer I thought I'd put DZ's little letter into song form. And just to show I'm a good and generous fellow who means no real harm, DZ can have this song, and maybe spice up his show with it. I will even humbly suggest some chord changes and arrangement ideas.

Verses : 11/8 time. approximately 330 bpm. chords: Gm7-G13-Gmajor7 add 11-Gm7 add 13-Bflat9---Cmaj7sus4
chorus: 4/4 approximately 100 bpm. Chords:C9b13- C9sus4/B-Dm-Dm7
bridge: vocals over percussion solo: Conga and Steel Drums. free time
coda: papa was a rolling stone in 7/4 100 bpm.
There should be no guitar solos in this song.

Hello Everyone
first verse
A few days have passed
and there has been no response from the ZFT
This is the second time
I have offered a settlement

chorus
and logic dictates
that if the ZFT really had no issue with me using my name in the field of live music and entertainment
they would jump at the chance
to enter into a coexistence agreement with me in the field of live music and entertainment

2nd verse
Instead, their actions speak louder than words,
revealing more than a lack of credibility on their part
Their actions demonstrate their motives
and what appears to be their true intention

bridge
they seek to block me from using my own name in the field of live music and entertainment
they seek to block me from using my own name in the field of live music and entertainment
I repeat myself when under stress
I repeat myself when under stress
Hey Adrien wanna buy some Mandies?
[I asked as nice as I could]

Repeat chorus

3rd verse
Every day that goes by
without them entering
into a peaceful co-existence
trademark agreement with me
only further demonstrates
their true intentions
and erodes
their trustworthiness.

[coda: to the tune of Papa Was A Rolling Stone]

Ahmet told Rolling Stone
Ahmet told Rolling Stone
Ahmet told Rolling Stone
Ahmet told Rolling Stone
wherever he laid his trademark was his home

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:59 am 

hey downer, since i am chained to boredom and disgust... i decided to give your piece a little test run.
first thing is the first, i did not use one of my own guitars. i don't usually let boredom drive me to this place,
but tish is in the kitchen taking a break from riding my nerves, so i decided to use her guitar, which is an old Harmony dustington mini.
don't know if you are familiar with those. i would hope not. anyway, first impression: this piece is not as streamlined
and/or bendable as i would usually prefer. not to say that you should invest time or effort into rebuilding...
i am just use to room/opportunity to bend upon initiation experimentation. none-the-less, i had a lot of fun farting this thing out!

however, i feel that i need to tell you that i did use my very own waffle hand technique upon performing this piece.
i believe i've talked about that here, and truth be told, i think it was the ideal decision.
also... (this is the part where i spike the punch!) ... i added a small but effective guitar solo near the end.
I KNOW, I KNOW, it's just... i am just starting to get the hang of Flaunteegan's linear all upstrokes approach, and well... you know how it goes.

real quick, another thing i noticed is tha --- fuck downer, i've got to go. tish just fell up the basement steps.... sorry/thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:07 am 

I like it. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 pm 

As I began reading lm's post, I was kinda hoping the waffle hand would make a reappearance..... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 am 

hahaa, yes.
to have attempted to play that thing with standard handing would have been like eating oatmeal with a fork!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 pm 

^ There's nothing wrong with eating oatmeal with a fork. However, serving oatmeal to another person and giving them a fork to eat it with is not cool. Unless you have no spoons.

lapsed maps wrote:
this piece is not as streamlined
and/or bendable as i would usually prefer.

You're the one who added a guitar solo. Don't tell me it's not bendable enough.

The chords, tempo, meter, etc were all merely suggestions.