Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Best of Parliament
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 150
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16673
Dammit, I was hoping to see a bunch of British debating stuff. Very disappointed.

(I'll have to get that, btw)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2386
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
I have this and it truly is a kick ass cd! One of the few bands out there I actually bought a best of, and have thus far found it more enjoyable than the actual albums!

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34290
Location: Somewhere in time
FOWL wrote:
I have this and it truly is a kick ass cd! One of the few bands out there I actually bought a best of, and have thus far found it more enjoyable than the actual albums!



What are the hot tracks and do they have "maggotbrain"...although that was with parliment/funkedelic (great stoner song in the 70's)... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3321
Location: Aotearoa NZ
http://www.garryshidermedicalfund.com/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6577
Location: Between the Badges
Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am
Posts: 395
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Image

Yeah. I got this one. OOP I believe. Has a nice little booklet in it too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am
Posts: 395
Plook wrote:
FOWL wrote:
I have this and it truly is a kick ass cd! One of the few bands out there I actually bought a best of, and have thus far found it more enjoyable than the actual albums!



What are the hot tracks and do they have "maggotbrain"...although that was with parliment/funkedelic (great stoner song in the 70's)... :mrgreen:

Right Plook. Maggot Brain (album and song) was under the Funkadelic name.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6577
Location: Between the Badges
KillUgly's Paradise wrote:
Plook wrote:
FOWL wrote:
I have this and it truly is a kick ass cd! One of the few bands out there I actually bought a best of, and have thus far found it more enjoyable than the actual albums!



What are the hot tracks and do they have "maggotbrain"...although that was with parliment/funkedelic (great stoner song in the 70's)... :mrgreen:

Right Plook. Maggot Brain (album and song) was under the Funkadelic name.

Unless it was under both! :D
Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2386
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
All songs are smoking hot on there! Sadly no Maggot Brain, but it wouldn't really fit on that Cd anyways, it is a fun party disc, and really delivers nonstop action on that front.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1396
Parliament and Funkadelic "merged" in the 80's, so "Maggot Brain" appears in P-Funk shows, including the time I saw them in 1997. (Their guitarist Michael Hampton plays the 9-minute Eddie Hazel solo from the album note for note and apparently did so at his audition. Sort of the Steve Vai of funk.)

But the original studio version was a Funkadelic track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:27 am
Posts: 123
Did someone say P-Funk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbhIwvtA7PE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1338
Location: Croatia, Europe
Hometown Sausage Jamboree wrote:

hey that i'm the slime :shock:
did he just cover that!? whaaa'!?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
I've always preferred the original Funkadelic to Parliament, but I did get to see P-Funk live a few years ago, and they were a lot of fun. They indeed did break into a quick "I'm the Slime" interlude in between a couple of songs. I've always heard that Funkadelic was heavily influenced by Zappa.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 12
A little FZ from GC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Wb0utQo6I


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Dwarf Nebula
madcow1515 wrote:
I've always preferred the original Funkadelic to Parliament, but I did get to see P-Funk live a few years ago, and they were a lot of fun. They indeed did break into a quick "I'm the Slime" interlude in between a couple of songs. I've always heard that Funkadelic was heavily influenced by Zappa.


they played the break both times when i saw George on two separate occasions.
such good shows :mrgreen:

_________________
Do you think that I creep in the night
And sleep in a phone booth?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am
Posts: 21
Location: Charlotte, NC
A great comp. I, however, believe in the full immersion of an album when it comes to Parliament OR Funkadelic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3321
Location: Aotearoa NZ
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am
Posts: 395
stride wrote:
Image

Is he cruising for groupies or is he making a political statement?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:56 pm
Posts: 3321
Location: Aotearoa NZ
KillUgly's Paradise wrote:
stride wrote:
Image

Is he cruising for groupies or is he making a political statement?


Which HE, Sir Nose or the Funk Overlord ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 6205
Location: Over there! (last)
Image
Photo by Arkay

Niels Bo Bojesen
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:20 pm
Posts: 691
You guys ever heard OSMIUM by Parliament? It sounds more like early Funkadelic…..but it's really great,....along with Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow, and Standing on The Verge Of Getting It On(a lot of Hendrix sounds in those last two also!). Eddie Hazel!!!!!! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group