Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa and Kiss
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:10 am 

Ok, re Black Tongue being featured on Gene Simmons new album, and GS apparently visiting FZ on one occasion, this got me thinking - Why wasnt Kiss documented at all by FZ in the 70s? They were the biggest band on the planet from 76 - 79, and it seems strange that Frank didnt document, or even ever refer to them. They were prime candidates surely!

Post subject: Re: Zappa and Kiss
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:16 am 

I don't know.  Frank didn't do a whole lot of name-dropping in the 70s.  I don't think he really liked to pick on specific artists and instead focused on major trends and stuff.  When he was on Larry King Live, Larry asked Frank if he'd name some contemporary bands that he thought were terrible, and Frank said he wouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:20 am 

Guess he got a little more cutting in the 80s, ala DHBIM /BTHW, etc......I suppose even then he wasnt specific about a certain band....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:22 am 

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#2 date=06/15/04 at 08:20:12]Guess he got a little more cutting in the 80s, ala DHBIM /BTHW, etc......I suppose even then he wasnt specific about a certain band....[/quote]<br>You know what always bugged me?  His jab at Devo in "Tinseltown Rebellion."  Devo was a really smart and creative band back in their hey day.  I think Frank even liked them in the 70s.  They did kind of turn to shit after 1982 or so though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:25 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean. They were creative in their own way. I try to never let Frank get to me though! I listen to lots of stuff which maybe alot of people would deem as shit, but thats the way it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:32 am 

Ha! Id forgotten about that! Classic.....He does have a very good point....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 am 

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#4 date=06/15/04 at 08:25:05]I try to never let Frank get to me though! I listen to lots of stuff which maybe alot of people would deem as shit, but thats the way it goes![/quote]<br>The thing is, I really think Frank was one of those guys who liked to dismiss stuff without ever really hearing it.  He complained about popular music never taking any chances but bashed bands in the mainstream who were actually unique.  Arthur Barrow had a story about how one day he was playing Talking Heads' Remain In Light, and Frank came in and made some kind of negative comment after hearing a few seconds of it.  I think that's unfortunate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:41 pm 

Definately. Remain In Light is a great lp, and if Frank had given it half a chance, he woulda enjoyed it.Maybe he was in a bad mood--who knows?He made some comment about U2 when The Joshua Tree was out, something about, "What are these guys? Some born again band?"No, that would be Creed--or Stryper ;D. I also read something once where he was sitting in a club with his band, and Michael Jackson came on(This was around 1983)...he said, "He's good,do you think we could get him for the band?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:24 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#9 date=06/15/04 at 22:41:03]He made some comment about U2 when The Joshua Tree was out, something about, "What are these guys? Some born again band?"[/quote]<br><br>Casey Kasem had the best quote on U2: "These guys are from England, and who gives a shit!?"<br><br>[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#10 date=06/16/04 at 00:42:44]<br>Adrian's solo on "The Great Curve" was just perfect. Maybe Frank was jealous...[/quote]<br>That whole album is perfect.  I looooooooove Talking Heads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:31 am 

[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#8 date=06/15/04 at 09:40:30]<br>The thing is, I really think Frank was one of those guys who liked to dismiss stuff without ever really hearing it.  He complained about popular music never taking any chances but bashed bands in the mainstream who were actually unique.  Arthur Barrow had a story about how one day he was playing Talking Heads' Remain In Light, and Frank came in and made some kind of negative comment after hearing a few seconds of it.  I think that's unfortunate.[/quote]<br>[center]Just because Frank didn't like something doesn't mean it is necessarily bad. Just like any type of art form, beauty is in the eyes or ears of the beholder. I like a lot of music that FZ would probably have deemed as unworthy or shitty. Oh well! I love Talking Heads in general and especially Remain in Light, that is a great album. There are several Peter Frampton songs that when I hear now, brings back many fond memories of my youth. Does it really matter what FZ liked or didn't like? <br> ??? ::) ???[/center]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:28 pm 

Despite Frankie never dropping any secret clues during the emergence of KISS in the seventies and onwards, I would like to think that Frank had some admiration for what they were trying to do. Much like Zappa, they had faced derision by self (important) appointed critics who thought they were destined for obscurity. They had a bombastic show in the vein of Frank's protege Alice Cooper, entertainment values to go with music like Frank had done with the Mothers and on a more subdued level on later tours. Zappa being a businessman when not ripping on a guitar solo could possibly respect Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley for their business exploits with KISS as well. Also, with Frank being adamantly anti-drug, maybe found G&P to be kindred spirits. That...and I'm sure Dweezil and Moon must have air guitared to their records to dad's everlasting amusement while he was mutilating reel-to-reel tapes in the studio. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:54 pm 

[quote author=debutante daisy link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=0#12 date=06/16/04 at 06:31:36]<br>[center] There are several Peter Frampton songs that when I hear now, brings back many fond memories of my youth. Does it really matter what FZ liked or didn't like? <br> ??? ::) ???[/center][/quote]<br><br>The album "I'm In You" has some good tunes on it, including one with Stevie Wonder playing harmonica and Frampton playing Django Reinhardt's guitar very well.<br> <br>And the four studio albums Frampton did before that are excellent. I personally don't care for his famous live album.<br><br>And between you and me, I like the song "I'm In You" more than "I Have Been In You".<br><br>But that's just my opinion, so let's not have a big argument about it...<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:17 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=15#16 date=06/21/04 at 01:34:06]<br>'Scuse me....<br><br>But Peter Frampton playing one of Django Reinhardt's guitars is like Dweezil Zappa playing one of Jimi Hendrix' guitars.<br><br>It's not exactly a value-add...[/quote]<br><br>Frampton is one of my all-time favorite guitarists, because of how he plays on the albums "Wind Of Change", "Frampton's Camel", "Something's Happening" and "Frampton".<br><br>And he plays some good solos on the "I'm In You" album too, but that album isn't on the level of those other four.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:16 am 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=15#18 date=06/21/04 at 09:17:45]Frampton is one of my all-time favorite guitarists, because of how he plays on the albums "Wind Of Change", "Frampton's Camel", "Something's Happening" and "Frampton".<br><br>And he plays some good solos on the "I'm In You" album too, but that album isn't on the level of those other four.[/quote]<br>[center]Image<br>[/center][center]'F R A' or 'arf' backwards ¿ whether in the actually-existing (or alienated) world 'F R A' <br>goes on to spell FRAMPTON or FRANK ZAPPA is a fact that's not yet been ascertained<br>.<br>Image[/center]<br><br><br>

Post subject: Re: Zappa and Frampton
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:24 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=15#20 date=06/21/04 at 10:34:11]<br>He was replaced in Humble Pie by Clem Clempson (ex-Colosseum), but that's a different story...[/quote]<br><br>He's great on Jon Anderson's "Song Of Seven".<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 am 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=15#15 date=06/21/04 at 00:54:38]<br>I personally don't care for his famous live album.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I bought that album 5 years ago and couldn't even listen to it all the way through.  I thought it was a total piece of shit.  Ever since then I haven't been able to get into Frampton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:37 pm 

:o Whadda bout dis KISS thing?<br><br>        Howd a buncha foolz dressed up like clownz get such a big rep?<br><br>        I remember the song "God Of Thunder". Way back when I bought the 45 (7 inch record) because I liked the song live(I heard it on a friend's 8-Track tape!)....but I played the thing and it had a bunch of kids playing in the background(on the studio "single " version)! I was offended that SUKK...OOPS,....I mean KISS was "marketing" to pre-teens with this crappy mix of metal and playground sound-effects!  What trash.<br><br>        I wish that people would come to their senses and just forget that KISS existed.  I mean,Casablanca Records was one of THEE biggest Mafia run companies in music,and this power (mostly due to the white "promo" powder they promoted their product with) in the market place was more the reason you heard these guys than any talent they showed.<br><br>        Let's let Gene drool and ogle his millions of instamatic photos of his young ,sad groupies that he conquered while he goes to some old metal clown's home. Face it he's a lame old man...and he hid it with paint.  The power of payola(and cocaine)!  Just amazing! YUCK!<br><br>        I know,I know....some of ya like this stuff 'cuz ya heard it when you were young.  But now you're old enough for the truth.  Best we forget them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:06 am 

Quote:
I know,I know....some of ya like this stuff 'cuz ya heard it when you were young.  But now you're old enough for the truth.  Best we forget them.
<br><br>I'm not........  :'(

Post subject: Re: Zappa and Frampton
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:33 am 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=albums;num=1087312243;start=15#21 date=06/21/04 at 11:24:04]<br><br>He's great on Jon Anderson's "Song Of Seven".<br>[/quote]<br>Song Of Seven! Havenet heard that album for many years!.......A true blast from the past....