Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 200 Motels 6CD Box
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:30 am 

I was going to go with the two disc version of this, but then saw it doesn't include the bonus tracks you get on the box version. I listened to my Rykodisc version, and it sounds fine to me. I'll stick with that.
At the risk of beating a dead horse, I continue to wait for the 1968 Whiskey tapes (and any other Mothers from that time period), and the post Hot Rats stuff with Sugarcane Harris and Ansley Dunbar. Those would be automatic purchases for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:16 pm 

For those who weren't aware. On YCDTOSA 6 Disc 1 is a track called Shove It Right In. Apparently this was a Zappa remix of the following tracks from the original recordings.

Painted Up Her Face 1:42 0:00
Half A Dozen Squats 1:58 1:42
Shove It Right In 2:33 3:40

The first column is the length of each part, the second column is where it starts in the single track on YCDTOSA 6 Disc 1.

These sound significantly better than on the original soundtrack album and may give an idea of what to expect from this new Bernie Grundman remix. There are a lot of variables of course. Were all the original 16 track recordings digitised before they got too old and so on?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:00 am 

Wait. I thought what is on YCDTOSA 6 is from the Fillmore East.

And BTW, Bernie Grundman didn't do a remix. It is a remaster. So I wouldn't expect wonders.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:56 am 

Well, my bad on both counts, sorry everyone. I must have misunderstood something I’d read that related YCDTOSA 6 disc 1 track 13 to the 16 track recordings for the soundtrack. And I obviously read the notes for this new release too quickly. I am suddenly much less excited.

When I heard that Amazon had bought MGM I hoped against hope that something might have been pulled out of the ashes.

None the less, those Fillmore tapes do give an indication of what was technically possible at the time and you have to wonder how the original soundtrack master ended up sounding so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 pm 

sarbeez wrote:
I was going to go with the two disc version of this, but then saw it doesn't include the bonus tracks you get on the box version. I listened to my Rykodisc version, and it sounds fine to me. I'll stick with that.
At the risk of beating a dead horse, I continue to wait for the 1968 Whiskey tapes (and any other Mothers from that time period), and the post Hot Rats stuff with Sugarcane Harris and Ansley Dunbar. Those would be automatic purchases for me.

I'm with you! I really don't know if a remaster would show much more sonically ? Plus I don't know if there'd be much entertainment value for me to "listen" to an alternate audio track of the whole movie. It seems a bit daunting,....especially without the video pictures. I guess all the "lost video" was wiped by the studio? So there will never be production out-takes to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:55 pm 

MOOP wrote:
I was hoping a DVD/Blu-Ray of the "200 Motels" film would be included too. It looks interesting though!

That was my wish too

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am 

I don't get this release without the movie, there must be a technical issue with whatever they have or they could not acquire what they needed... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:43 pm 

21 hours ago - Tom Taylor

Frank Zappa’s 200 Motels set for 50th-anniversary box set reissue

The classic Frank Zappa documentary is set to celebrate its 50th Birthday in style with a bumper box set reissue thanks to Zappa Records, Ume and MGM.

In some cases pairing ‘super’ and ‘deluxe’ in the title might seem like a redundancy, but when it comes to 200 Motels, they’ve pushed the boat out to such an extent that the double up is warranted.

The reissue box set, due for release on November 19th, will include a remastering of the original soundtrack with The Mothers of Invention and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as the original demos, outtakes, alternate recordings and more.

This six-CD collection will also be bolstered with a hardback booklet diving into the work of Zappa and documenting the tour in great detail. Replica posters will also feature, as well as a special “Do Not Disturb” keychain.

Aside from the CD version, a double LP is also set for release on vinyl. And finally, it will also grace digital platforms for the very first time.

The original manic film was shot in just ten days and featured the likes of Ringo Starr in the role of “a large dwarf” and Keith Moon as a “perverted nun” all coalescing with the music in what became the first feature filmed entirely on videotape.

You can find out more about the reissue here.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/frank-zapp ... y-box-set/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:54 am 

Quote:
In some cases pairing ‘super’ and ‘deluxe’ in the title might seem like a redundancy, but when it comes to 200 Motels, they’ve pushed the boat out to such an extent that the double up is warranted.

Well, the price point is super-deluxe, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:53 pm 

I may have to give the deluxe a miss this time .
I have every release to date but over £110 for a set i will barely play is just too much in these hard financial times .
This is going to hurt .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:15 am 

WOOHOO!!!!!

Way to go ZFT and all parties involved, this is a long overdue treatment of a VERY important soundtrack, dare I say it MASTERPIECE of music and creativity. So bizarre and weird I couldn't help but fall in love with it. Here it is finally getting the love it deserves. I've got the Ryco double CD(and promo door knob hangar)and the original vinyl pressing with poster of this fine work but thankfully I can now preserve my original vinyl(there becoming rare as we all know and are very precious.)

I'll be grabbing the deluxe box set and the hi-res downloads of this(shut up hi-res naysayers, I like the hi-res files, sod off if you don't.)

ROCK ON all parties involved, so glad this finally get's to see the light of day. It shouldn't be a collector's search fest, everyone who loves Zappa should be able to hear this work. Finally there's no more excuses and the price of the set is only fractionally more than what you will pay for the double CD Ryko set that was released back in the early 90's so what a bargain. Special mega thanks for allowing for the full hi-res files availability ZFT, you have made my day.

What an amazing time to be a Zappa fan. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:23 am 

tinkamok wrote:
I may have to give the deluxe a miss this time .
I have every release to date but over £110 for a set i will barely play is just too much in these hard financial times .
This is going to hurt .

You don't have to get the mega deluxe set designed for crazy mad fans like myself, there's also a 2CD or double Vinyl release if you don't need all the bonus swill and just want to hear the brand new remaster. So please fellow fan, rock on and enjoy your Zappa in all it's sonic glory.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:19 pm 

I'm looking forward to this release. The extras are looking tempting. And I'm hoping for a good sound quality. The sound quality of the original album is pretty poor in my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:03 am 

A second preview track is now up:

https://youtu.be/d9FVwLV-fDU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:14 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
A second preview track is now up:

https://youtu.be/d9FVwLV-fDU

What more does that interviewer want? I thought Frank Zappa explained it perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:34 pm 

Just the 2CD version on order. I have the LP but my CDs are copied from library CDs as you could not buy it then. I checked the burned CDs and they are still playable.

From the list of tracks for the 6CD set, I would end up compiling a lot, as this is not material I need to play over and over. In fact what we had for the original album was plenty of Flo and Eddie. Add Playground Psychotics and I'm pretty much set for those two. Well, and Fillmore. I had the LP and grossed out my college room mate with it.