Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 pm 

Looking forward to this release as the band was absolutely amazing in this line up. It gave me visions of what Frank meant when he sang the famous line in 'Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me.' '.....The Band was TIIIIIght.'

Just curious to know if this will actually be the full performance of the concert or once again if a couple of numbers where edited out for space reasons etc? It's just that there's no mention of 'complete' recordings this time. (Probably a wise move if there not sure.)

As it's a digital recording there's probably nothing to be gained by purchasing the vinyl's other than the groovy photos blown up to a decent size etc. However once again, a Bluray audio release would have been nice and preferred to get the full goodness of that digital recording out. Or dare I say it, even a USB stick.

Also ZFT, thank you for returning to the far more affordable straight package release format for the release. Like the great Frank, this fan likes to stick his money in his ear, not his butt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am 

It is the complete set list but not the complete show: two songs were substituted from a different show as Dweezil did not give permission to include the two songs he played on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:12 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
It is the complete set list but not the complete show: two songs were substituted from a different show as Dweezil did not give permission to include the two songs he played on.

Oh man, that would mean animosity between Dweezil and ZFT must STILL not be resolved. So sad to learn. Hopefully Dweezil might be able to release them one day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:39 am 

24 hours and counting down...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:16 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:

Oh man, that would mean animosity between Dweezil and ZFT must STILL not be resolved. So sad to learn. Hopefully Dweezil might be able to release them one day.

Why did we need this? You're already bitching about it in another thread. And not getting any support, as far as I can see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 am 

I guess getting shot down by both the Vaultmeister and Mikey, the site admin wasn't enough. Just start another thread to prove how out of touch you are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:

Why did we need this? You're already bitching about it in another thread. And not getting any support, as far as I can see.

My apologies for wanting a COMPLETE concert, how dare I????

No more on that from me. Happy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
I guess getting shot down by both the Vaultmeister and Mikey, the site admin wasn't enough. Just start another thread to prove how out of touch you are.

As already mentioned, no more of that from me to all the fans who are just over the moon to have an incomplete and censored concert which is against everything FZ stood for.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

As already mentioned, no more of that from me to all the fans who are just over the moon to have an incomplete and censored concert which is against everything FZ stood for.

For the record, not that it matters I agree with you. It is beyond fucking lame of DZ to do it, and even lamer for the ZFT to cave.
As noted in the other thread on this, they all need to grow up.
I remember fondly when the only argument about concerts at this forum was that everyone wanted full shows.
Times have definitely changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:52 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Yes, because FZ released NOTHING BUT unedited and complete concerts in his lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:47 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Yes, because FZ released NOTHING BUT unedited and complete concerts in his lifetime.

That's what I was thinking. Bongo Fury, Fillmore East, JABFLA, ZINY, all incomplete concerts. Which is why I don't think this is a big deal. And I believe that the people who know already shot down the "Dweezil is still angry at the ZFT" excuse.

But hey, it's just a difference of opinion.

I've never heard the boot, what are the songs Dweezil played on?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:06 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I've never heard the boot, what are the songs Dweezil played on?

Stairway To Heaven & Whipping Post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm 

I would have liked to get the full show, but I’m just as happy to get what they‘ve put together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:26 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:

or maybe there is no animosity, maybe a 50 year old dweezil is not happy with the solo's he played when he was 19, I would much rather have what we have then the lame metal crap dweezil used to do back in that time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:51 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

but Frank released albums, product, an experience. His live albums had music that didn't appear on studio albums, and what is a Frank Zappa studio album anyway? Using live material to form your album is hardly censorship, plus, in his time, releasing full concerts commercially was not really something most anyone was doing, not even the Grateful Dead did that until the 90s, let alone an independent artist like FZ who was a perfectionist and would have never released a "warts and all" product. Instead he might edit out a wart from a show and include it on some random track from a 25 track album. There were always plenty of ways to hear full concerts via bootlegs, and of course he was against bootlegs because it interfered with his art and his business.

Of course, the only reason we have full or mostly full live show releases now is because the guy is dead (and it seems the ZFT has given up on releasing unreleased original material gathering dust in the vault.) Editing these concerts posthumously doesn't change what FZ stood for and it attempts to alter the past. Dweezil is on actual FZ albums that FZ made himself with The Dweez's metal soloing, so I doubt it's about how he used to play compared to his older self.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:09 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
It is the complete set list

And of course I was wrong about this, as I didn't know at the time that the Brother A. West routine was edited out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:29 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
My apologies for wanting a COMPLETE concert, how dare I????

No more on that from me. Happy?

Come for the passive; stay for the aggressive...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:42 pm 

:lol: