Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:34 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Ya know, they don't make that to easy in our automated world......I figured someone here had some experience with this.

If it was Amazon, your download includes the entire album. You get it through the Amazon Music app or music.amazon.com.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 am 

My wife ordered the vinyl by mistake, not that I don't enjoy vinyl...I just prefer CDs. I'm a sucker for the 88 band and getting a 'full show' without any of Frank's mid-song editing shows just how hard this material was. Even this amazing band couldn't nail ALL the parts. Here's to more 88 material!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:56 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Ya know, they don't make that to easy in our automated world......I figured someone here had some experience with this.

If it was Amazon, your download includes the entire album. You get it through the Amazon Music app or music.amazon.com.

So, it looks like I didn't order through Amazon, so... Thanks for the info anyway

ZAPPA '88: The Last U.S. Show 2-CD Set PREORDER

SKU: M ZAP-CD-1156

You are receiving the following three instant grat downloads because you ordered "Zappa ’88: The Last U.S. Show".

“I Ain’t Got No Heart” appeared in 1966 on Zappa’s first LP with The Mothers Of Invention “Freak Out!”. Later in 1981, an updated faster arrangement was released on “Tinsel Town Rebellion”. Here we have the 1988 band, with their extensive horn section, rocking it out!

“Sofa #1” is one of FZ’s most beloved melodies and the 1988 line-up doesn’t disappoint in their rendition from this historic concert in Uniondale, NY.

“I Am The Walrus” spotlights the first official release of Zappa covering this iconic song by The Beatles. The 1988 band had a plethora of cover tunes in their arsenal.

Please note that each of these tracks is limited to one download per customer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:04 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

So, it looks like I didn't order through Amazon, so... Thanks for the info anyway

ZAPPA '88: The Last U.S. Show 2-CD Set PREORDER

SKU: M ZAP-CD-1156

You are receiving the following three instant grat downloads because you ordered "Zappa ’88: The Last U.S. Show".

“I Ain’t Got No Heart” appeared in 1966 on Zappa’s first LP with The Mothers Of Invention “Freak Out!”. Later in 1981, an updated faster arrangement was released on “Tinsel Town Rebellion”. Here we have the 1988 band, with their extensive horn section, rocking it out!

“Sofa #1” is one of FZ’s most beloved melodies and the 1988 line-up doesn’t disappoint in their rendition from this historic concert in Uniondale, NY.

“I Am The Walrus” spotlights the first official release of Zappa covering this iconic song by The Beatles. The 1988 band had a plethora of cover tunes in their arsenal.

Please note that each of these tracks is limited to one download per customer.

Are they different versions than what's on the CDs?

Last edited by calvin2hikers on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:40 am 

Mine arrived on July 1st. Great release.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 am 

Cross-posting this on the Beatles thread.

I was listening to The Beatles channel on SiriusXM and they were doing a show on Beatles and Beatles related covers. They played the Bare Naked Ladies doing "Let'Em In". I nice little pop song that basically has two parts to it (A. Someone's knockin' at the door, B. Sister Susan....) and it repeats them over and over. They played the whole thing. A bit of a snooze, IMO.

Then, one of the hosts starts talking about the 88 Show release and the cover of I Am The Walrus. They played only a small fraction of the song because, in the host's words, "it could go on a long time".

WTAF?!?!?!?!?!

You just let the BNL go on forever on a simple pop song, but you don't have time for the whole "I Am The Walrus"?!?!? What, you can't read the thing to know how long it is? It's about the same length as the original recording?!?!?!

SMFH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:45 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

I was listening to The Beatles channel on SiriusXM and they were doing a show on Beatles and Beatles related covers. They played the Bare Naked Ladies doing "Let'Em In". I nice little pop song that basically has two parts to it (A. Someone's knockin' at the door, B. Sister Susan....) and it repeats them over and over. They played the whole thing. A bit of a snooze, IMO.

Then, one of the hosts starts talking about the 88 Show release and the cover of I Am The Walrus. They played only a small fraction of the song because, in the host's words, "it could go on a long time".

WTAF?!?!?!?!?!

You just let the BNL go on forever on a simple pop song, but you don't have time for the whole "I Am The Walrus"?!?!? What, you can't read the thing to know how long it is? It's about the same length as the original recording?!?!?!

SMFH

I totally get what you are saying Guy, but I have enjoy "Wings at the Speed of Sound" since my youth I saw the concert in '75 which included some Beatles songs it was great I say Let' Em In... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 am 

My wife, who is a (classical) singer loves Ike Willis's voice. She thinks his vocals on the Beatles Medley show that he had a cold that night, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 pm 

Plook wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

WTAF?!?!?!?!?!

SMFH

I totally get what you are saying Guy, but I have enjoy "Wings at the Speed of Sound" since my youth I saw the concert in '75 which included some Beatles songs it was great I say Let' Em In... :mrgreen:

I had Wings Over America. I’m a big fan of that stuff too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:00 am 

Awaaaaay back in late 1975 five of us travelled to Australia to see Wings,
the journey included what can only be described as a poorly planned road trip,
there was lots of booze 'n' stuff, at 17ish I was the youngest along for the ride, huge (trendy length) adventure,
we saw a lot of Australia, but we didn't see Wings, I think we missed them two or three times, by a day or two.....

What can I say mate, 'stralia's humongous in the flesh.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:13 am 

Kat and I play Uncle Albert all the time and that song totally confuses the grandkids... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:33 am 

That's Paul and Linda, my dear - pre Wings. A great song nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm 

Plook wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

WTAF?!?!?!?!?!

SMFH

I don't know when Sir Paul toured for Wings At The Speed Of Sound but the album was released in the spring of 1976.

I remember Silly Love Songs being #1 in America. I had a copy from Columbia Records LP Club. My graduating class had chosen Silly Love Songs to represent our Bicentennial Year Graduating Class of 76'. I had suggested Sofa #2. Should have suggested 200 Years Old.

Wings At The Speed Of Sound is an all around excellent album for Paul McCartney.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 am 

^^^I stand corrected I saw them at the Forum in LA in 1976 opening night Ringo was there as well as Elton John and Cher. This concert was an event the buzz was in the air great show!

It was June 23 1976

Setlist

Venus and Mars

Rock Show

Jet

Let Me Roll It

Spirits of Ancient Egypt

Medicine Jar

Maybe I'm Amazed
(Paul McCartney song)

Call Me Back Again

Lady Madonna
(The Beatles cover)

The Long and Winding Road
(The Beatles cover)

Live and Let Die

Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)

Richard Cory
(Simon & Garfunkel cover) (Released on Wings over America)

Bluebird

I've Just Seen a Face
(The Beatles cover) (Released on Wings over America)

Blackbird

Yesterday
(The Beatles cover)

You Gave Me the Answer
(Released on Wings over America)

Magneto and Titanium Man

Go Now
(Bessie Banks cover) (Released on Wings over America)

My Love

Listen to What the Man Said

Let 'Em In
(Released on Wings over America)

Time to Hide

Silly Love Songs

Beware My Love

Letting Go

Band on the Run

Encore

Hi, Hi, Hi

Soily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:34 pm 

Wow, I must have accidentally logged in to the Steve Hoffman forum, where every thread eventually gets turned around to one (or all) of the Beatles.

Wings at the Speed of Sound is the album that ensured I would never buy another McCartney product ever again. And I haven't.

By the way, the latest Zappa release ('88: The Last U.S. Show) is incredible. Craig Parker Adams is the all-time great masterer of live recordings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Wings at the Speed of Sound is the album that ensured I would never buy another McCartney product ever again. And I haven't.

It's quite the pop. But PM never tried to convince anybody that he was writing songs for any other reason. But check out Flaming Pie.....good stuff on there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:32 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

It's quite the pop. But PM never tried to convince anybody that he was writing songs for any other reason. But check out Flaming Pie.....good stuff on there.

Kat and I sing Paul McCartney songs all the time, it was part of our childhood and early teens, I had fun when I was young, I started listening to Zappa hardcore about the same time...kinda of a yin & yang sorta deal... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 am 

What no one for Mull of Kintyre! At least Denny got a credit for it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:56 am 

Eddie RUKidding wrote:

"Mulligan's tire, oh Mulligan's tire..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:47 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Eddie RUKidding wrote:

"Mulligan's tire, oh Mulligan's tire..."

looks like Mulligan's tire needs air.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 pm 

or gas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:59 pm 

I saw this tour maybe 10 days before this was recorded.
Frank must have been going back to his room and screwed around with the arrangements continuously and then rehearsed the band during the day on the changes.
A few of the songs that I saw him do are on this 4 album set but there's all sorts of different bits and tempo changes and the order of the solos, he was a busy guy.
That must have been so hard to do.

At any rate, another great recording, this is much better than I thought it was going to be.
I'm preaching to the choir this is just terrific.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:04 pm 

Zappa didn't do all that work on his own. He had a Clonemeister to rehearse the band and he expected them to work a lot of those arrangements out on their own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 am 

Well I obtained the CD release of this one, as it's a digital recording in any case, there seemed absolutely no point grabbing the vinyl release for this one, also was cheesed it's only 95% complete but hey alright I hear you, I'll stop my whinging.

Now as for the final albeit 'edited' US tour concert of 1988, the quality was right up there but mostly what I absolutely loved about this band was how orchestral like they all were. Absolute perfection. Is there a misplaced note even in the interludes??? Simply spectacular to listen to and the Beatles medley had me laughing hard. Oh what a treasure. Not to mention the great Chad Wackerman's birthday, this is indeed a very special concert. Shame Dweezil wouldn't let his early work on there, I've seen the video on You Tube now and frankly(excuse the pun,) I thought it was great. Sure it wasn't his polished work of now but hey for the time, what a great chance to play with his dad and Frank did not look annoyed at all. In fact I think he was beaming with pride if anything so honestly can't see the drama here to complete this fantastic concert.

Thumbs up for the return to affordable packaging for the release ZFT and hope all future releases can resume being 'complete.'

An 8 out of 10 release, only loosing points for being incomplete.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:12 am 

Holy crap, yes it's an incomplete show. You knew about that months ago. And whined about it months ago. And initiated posts dedicated to whining about it. And continue to whine about it to this day.

Zappa never released a complete show in his lifetime. Stop sniveling.

You claim to be a Zappa fan but you just bought this now?

I picked up the 2-CD digipack at Sunrise Records for $CAD 15.88. It took you this long to save up that much money?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next