Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:24 am 

This is going to be great!. First release of the "Beatles Medley"!!:

https://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zappas-final-american-show-be-released-first-time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 am 

I would agree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am 

Couldn't pre-order this fast enough.

I'd buy a Complete 1988 Tour box set in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:17 am 

jk666 wrote:
I'd buy a Complete 1988 Tour box set in a heartbeat.

i'd buy it in a new york minute!

jk, 666.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:51 am 

^^ What they all said ^^ :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:35 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 pm 

pre-ordered.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:44 pm 

Interesting that they are using versions of Whipping Post and Stairway to Heaven from other shows. Dweezil must not have given permission for his performances from the last show to be used.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 am 

Those tracks were indeed removed at Dweezil's request.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 am 

jk666 wrote:

Let's hear it for another great Italian...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:12 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
jk666 wrote:

Wow, that's disappointing.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:34 pm 

Man I wish they would all just grow the fuck up already.
Not really the final US show with tracks swapped out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:23 pm 

If Dweezil wanted it removed is ok by me :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 pm 

Glad to see them finally tap into this tour, albeit minus Dweezil's guest appearances.

Totally looking forward to this.

Last edited by SPACEBROTHER on Mon May 03, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:01 am 

Like the 81 box set release I was mega excited and then grew increasingly disappointed and annoyed the closer it got to the release.

Already we have another incomplete concert being released 'swapping tacks out???' This clearly indicates that as usual the ZFT is not respecting Dweezil and let's make no mistake, Dweezil has put his butt on the line actually performing Frank's music with a very talented group of musicians who give there all with every performance(if you haven't seen Scheila Gonzalez perform your really missing something special.) He's also done it at the possible detriment of his own personal career because he was saddened that there were not enough people out there actually playing Frank's amazing music and so sort to create the current band in order to deliver exactly that. A real band playing his music. It's frustrating that obviously his tracks have been omitted due to the ZFT not wanting to as usual give him a fair slice of the pie. That's the only way I can understand this because seriously Dweezil is a really awesome guy and really puts in the extra time for his fans to boot. The concert in Brisbane Australia was amazing and I was deeply saddened that I was not able to see his current performance of Hot Rats in it's entirety due to the world Covid lock downs. (Special thanks to Dweezil for making some videos of the American performances of that concert available to us fans who would sadly be forced to miss out.)

Again I'll be waiting until this release is a fair price on Amazon but ZFT needs to know I would have pre-ordered it direct from the site right here at no doubt insane postage cost price to this fan simply to support it IF it had not been doctored and sadly will not be a complete performance from this very important concert.(is this starting to be a trend or something with ZFT???)

Oh well at least it's being released in a standard set, not a mega deluxe over the top designed to rip fans off set and that's a step in the right direction in any case. Still no mention of the full 24bit 96KHz sampling recordings but oh well better than not getting them at all I suppose. (at least there's no mention of it being the 'complete' concert. so no false advertising like last time.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:58 am 

Preordered. Has anyone else had trouble with the "I aint got no heart" download? All I got when clicking on the link is a gray screen with a 'slashed out' play icon. :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:46 am 

Michael Mesker of the Trust has said on Facebook, "We honored Dweezil's wishes to remove his performances from the ZAPPA ’88: THE LAST U.S. SHOW release."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:50 pm 

jk666 wrote:
Michael Mesker of the Trust has said on Facebook, "We honored Dweezil's wishes to remove his performances from the ZAPPA ’88: THE LAST U.S. SHOW release."

Yet some are convinced otherwise.

And but also 24/96/192 has it's own space and time, but if I understand correctly the original digital source
is not 24 bit resolution. In FZs time, digital sources maxed at 16/48 . I don't think you can improve resolution on a digital source.

If 96 bit resolution becomes a standard, today's 24 bit resolution upsampled to 96 bit has a limitation of the original digital source.

Now when all of these extra millions of bits of data exist with upsampling,
what do you do with it. Yes I can see engineering at some point improving sonics but that's processing an original source master.

As far as HD productions put on QuBoz and elsewhere, when original analogue sources are transfered to digital using HiRes transfer a digital source of 24/96 or 24/192 is possible. That is truly making HiRes of an old analogue source. Cream of the crop.

Yet I am very much interested in all digital lossless releases. If we transfer 16/48 to a digital domain we can still get better data than 16/44. Frank was very enthused by 16/48. Best of it's time and beyond CD quality.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:16 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Already we have another incomplete concert being released 'swapping tacks out???' This clearly indicates that as usual the ZFT is not respecting Dweezil and let's make no mistake, Dweezil has put his butt on the line actually performing Frank's music with a very talented group of musicians who give there all with every performance(if you haven't seen Scheila Gonzalez perform your really missing something special.) He's also done it at the possible detriment of his own personal career because he was saddened that there were not enough people out there actually playing Frank's amazing music and so sort to create the current band in order to deliver exactly that. A real band playing his music. It's frustrating that obviously his tracks have been omitted due to the ZFT not wanting to as usual give him a fair slice of the pie. That's the only way I can understand this because seriously Dweezil is a really awesome guy and really puts in the extra time for his fans to boot. The concert in Brisbane Australia was amazing and I was deeply saddened that I was not able to see his current performance of Hot Rats in it's entirety due to the world Covid lock downs. (Special thanks to Dweezil for making some videos of the American performances of that concert available to us fans who would sadly be forced to miss out.)

Dweezil wasn't happy with his contributions so they replaced his two numbers with performances from another night. All fine by me. I'd rather hear more FZ (Whipping Post) and Mike Keneally (Stairway) than 18 year old Dweezil.

This has nothing to do with a 'slice of the pie' or the eeeeeeevil Ahmet. None of the musicians on the recording are being paid anything extra for this release. They were paid for the performance at the time and that's it. That's how it works, like it or not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Like the 81 box set release I was mega excited and then grew increasingly disappointed and annoyed the closer it got to the release.

Again I'll be waiting until this release is a fair price on Amazon but ZFT needs to know I would have pre-ordered it direct from the site right here at no doubt insane postage cost price to this fan simply to support it IF it had not been doctored and sadly will not be a complete performance from this very important concert.(is this starting to be a trend or something with ZFT???)

Oh well at least it's being released in a standard set, not a mega deluxe over the top designed to rip fans off set and that's a step in the right direction in any case. Still no mention of the full 24bit 96KHz sampling recordings but oh well better than not getting them at all I suppose. (at least there's no mention of it being the 'complete' concert. so no false advertising like last time.)

UGH
Dismal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:27 am 

jk666 wrote:

I couldn't be happier about that! More of the real band.

l)
l

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Spaceresearcher wrote:
This clearly indicates that as usual the ZFT is not respecting Dweezil and let's make no mistake, Dweezil has put his butt on the line actually performing Frank's music with a very talented group of musicians who give there all with every performance(if you haven't seen Scheila Gonzalez perform your really missing something special.) He's also done it at the possible detriment of his own personal career because he was saddened that there were not enough people out there actually playing Frank's amazing music and so sort to create the current band in order to deliver exactly that. A real band playing his music. It's frustrating that obviously his tracks have been omitted due to the ZFT not wanting to as usual give him a fair slice of the pie. That's the only way I can understand this because seriously Dweezil is a really awesome guy and really puts in the extra time for his fans to boot. The concert in Brisbane Australia was amazing and I was deeply saddened that I was not able to see his current performance of Hot Rats in it's entirety due to the world Covid lock downs. (Special thanks to Dweezil for making some videos of the American performances of that concert available to us fans who would sadly be forced to miss out.)

Dweezil requested that his performance be removed, and the Zappa Trust honored his wishes. Your narrative is completely false.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am 

Thank you for clearing that up here. Amazing how some here jump to conclusions. :roll: I would think DZ today, (who is somewhat of a perfectionist), cringes at his 18 yr old self's playing. I have a tape of this show somewhere, gotta find it. I was reading the Zappa The Hardway book last night. MK states that even after the first weekend of Beacon NYC shows, DZ wasn't happy with his encore solos right after.
Agreed, I'd rather hear Frank solo on Whipping Post, and MK on Stairway. Also we don't need to hear Brother A. West for those who will complain about "not exactly complete". Stairway should be straight/rock style, and not reggae correct? Looking forward to this on CD. Have said for years that the last US show should get an official release.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:45 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:

some people do like to moan and make up stuff if their own head, I am glad Dweezil chose not to be on this release, i have heard his playing at this concert and it really is not good enough for release and i am sure he felt the same, he did not want the 17 year old version of himself ruining Stairway to heaven.

As for the Amazon price I don't know where you live but where I am it's very cheap (UK)

so looking forward to this release, it has all my wants from an 88 show, the Beatles medley, walrus and an unedited version of Packard goose, what else could i want?

But it seems Joe is reading these so I will say a want :-)
during the 88 tour lots of covers where played at shows or during sound check etc (like purple haze which was released) a 1988 cover album would be awesome (or a mixed cover album covering all the touring bands over the years)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 am 

The best thing is that I can instantly get to hear it, without being hostage to national borders and exploitative taxation!

Gray_Ghost wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
jk666 wrote:

Wow, that's disappointing.....

The torthcum never stops!