Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 am 

Was just listening to this fantastic album today and simply can't understand why people bag it. The quality is as good as the 4 track Frank would have had at the time and every note perfectly audible, in fact I honestly didn't have a problem quality wise and all for an album that was originally a bootleg but Frank released his actual recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were.

The amazing improvisations for the RDNZL (entitled redunzl on this release) are simply stunning and I was in complete awe at the amazing sounds there getting, especially with the equipment at the time.

The concert is apparently a Stockholm at Skansen on the 21st August 1973 (the T'Mershi Duween was from the Sydney Australia concert just 32 days earlier so of huge interest to Australian fans.)

Overall, it's skyrocketed to one of my favourite live albums, mainly due to the fact that I'm a huge fan of RDNZL and this has one of the finest versions I've ever heard.

Call me weird but the entire Beat The Boots Volume 1 box set is worth it just for these performances alone. Having the rest of the amazing concerts is a mega bonus and of course the later years get more tight and wonderfully cohesive but the combination of this group is simply sensational and I wanted to play it again straight away but alas I have the vinyl collection for Beat The Boots Volume 1 and anyone who's anyone in HiFi understands you must let Vinyl records have 24 hours at least between plays or you will cause 'DAMAGE' to the vinyl. That's probaby important as well, I'm not sure what the quality on the tape version is like but the vinyl is perfectly acceptable and a real treat for any Zappa fan. I can see why this was so heavily bootlegged initially, it really is awesome to listen to.

Guess I should review the rest of the albums but just wanted to share my elation at this superb set of performances. Simply incredible music which causes this fan to levitate off the ground with joy and want to dance the funky mammy nuns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:13 am 

I got an "real" vinyl boot of it and quality aint that good, maybe the Boots version is better :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 am 

I am glad you brought it up. It was one of my first Zappa CDs and a point of reaffirmation when I said "of course I want to pursue and listen to all his output". The guitar solo on RNDZL is one of the best, short but sweet. The sound Q is acceptable, but not excellent, I find it a bit muffled... I love T'Mersh Dween, which is from Roxy. I couldn't belive, years later that there was actuall pro-shot footage from that gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpd0l-O77U

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:43 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Was just listening to this fantastic album today and simply can't understand why people bag it. The quality is as good as the 4 track Frank would have had at the time and every note perfectly audible, in fact I honestly didn't have a problem quality wise and all for an album that was originally a bootleg but Frank released his actual recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were.

The amazing improvisations for the RDNZL (entitled redunzl on this release) are simply stunning and I was in complete awe at the amazing sounds there getting, especially with the equipment at the time.

The concert is apparently a Stockholm at Skansen on the 21st August 1973 (the T'Mershi Duween was from the Sydney Australia concert just 32 days earlier so of huge interest to Australian fans.)

Overall, it's skyrocketed to one of my favourite live albums, mainly due to the fact that I'm a huge fan of RDNZL and this has one of the finest versions I've ever heard.

Call me weird but the entire Beat The Boots Volume 1 box set is worth it just for these performances alone. Having the rest of the amazing concerts is a mega bonus and of course the later years get more tight and wonderfully cohesive but the combination of this group is simply sensational and I wanted to play it again straight away but alas I have the vinyl collection for Beat The Boots Volume 1 and anyone who's anyone in HiFi understands you must let Vinyl records have 24 hours at least between plays or you will cause 'DAMAGE' to the vinyl. That's probaby important as well, I'm not sure what the quality on the tape version is like but the vinyl is perfectly acceptable and a real treat for any Zappa fan. I can see why this was so heavily bootlegged initially, it really is awesome to listen to.

Guess I should review the rest of the albums but just wanted to share my elation at this superb set of performances. Simply incredible music which causes this fan to levitate off the ground with joy and want to dance the funky mammy nuns.

This has been covered already: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27505&start=25

But, just for the record, there is nothing from Sydney on this boot, T'Mershi Duween is from the Roxy performances.
This is just a copy of the boot. Frank had NOTHING to do with the Beat the Boots series and none of the titles are improvements over the boots. They are exact copies.
Frank DID NOT release his actual recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were. He released crap recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were.

For a guy that has done nothing but complain about how the Halloween 81 set is too expensive because of the packaging, the fact that you are a champion of the Beat the Boots series is greatly amusing.

These sets were ridiculously expensive when they came out, considering they contained (mostly) terrible sounding recordings that required no mastering work and you were paying entirely for the packaging.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

This has been covered already: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27505&start=25

But, just for the record, there is nothing from Sydney on this boot, T'Mershi Duween is from the Roxy performances.
This is just a copy of the boot. Frank had NOTHING to do with the Beat the Boots series and none of the titles are improvements over the boots. They are exact copies.
Frank DID NOT release his actual recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were. He released crap recordings to highlight how crap those original boots were.

For a guy that has done nothing but complain about how the Halloween 81 set is too expensive because of the packaging, the fact that you are a champion of the Beat the Boots series is greatly amusing.

These sets were ridiculously expensive when they came out, considering they contained (mostly) terrible sounding recordings that required no mastering work and you were paying entirely for the packaging.

My set was 2nd hand but in decent condition(It actually cost less than the 81 set but that was about 15 years or so ago.) However to get them now you are most correct they would not be cheap due to rarity.
You are not comparing apples with apples. This set is sold 'as a bootleg release and not of the quality etc etc' the recent 81 set is mastered from actual Vault tapes. Listening to the T'Mershi Duween on Roxy does show some similarities and of course the Roxy version is superior. I'm not heralding or declaring 'Beat The Boots' as perfect by any means, I was just sharing my joy at the improvisations. Some folks obviously including yourself bag them out, but I just wanted to put forward that there audible and certainly worth a listen. The version of RDNZL presented here is not available on any other recordings that I am aware of in an official form.

Your statement does not marry up with the Wiki information so perhaps you could kindly go correct it:
"Beat the Boots is a collection of bootleg recordings of performances by Frank Zappa which were originally distributed illegally but were released officially by Rhino Entertainment in 1991 as part of Zappa's campaign to dissuade his fans from buying illegal recordings of his concerts."
Actually Frank did have something to do with these releases as 'he authorized them,' apparently he did leave the editing etc to assistants(see Zappa Analysis.com) but then in that vein so to would the 81 concerts release and practically all of the other post humorous releases fall under the same banner, only he hasn't been able to authorize any of them and the release schedule has been left to those who have legal holdings to his music when he passed which we all know and accept. The sharp difference would be Franks recordings versus the bootlegger recordings.

Anyway, hope everyone else can enjoy the great music(even if they are bootlegs etc)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:31 am 

Just so everyone who hasn't heard 'Beat The Boots Volume 3' knows, someone has kindly put the albums on YouTube so we can all finally hear the recordings. (Happened sometime last year and I'm ever so glad because you can't download them anywhere, not on Amazon and not on Itunes(correct me if I am mistaken.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeGAwDevk8
That's disc 1 and if you do a search you will discover that the other 5 discs in the set are also on there. The only downer is of course that they will be mp3 quality and essentially all in one mega file but hey at least you can finally have a listen and no doubt the actual original release was only in this quality in any case. Remember there all bootlegs so don't expect a sonic portrait of excellence just a chance to hear some concert material you may not have heard before.

So for those going on about the quality of what are noted to be bootleg recordings, you can't really say anything to 'zero' cost other than the power and internet usage to listen to YouTube.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I am glad you brought it up. It was one of my first Zappa CDs and a point of reaffirmation when I said "of course I want to pursue and listen to all his output". The guitar solo on RNDZL is one of the best, short but sweet. The sound Q is acceptable, but not excellent, I find it a bit muffled... I love T'Mersh Dween, which is from Roxy. I couldn't belive, years later that there was actuall pro-shot footage from that gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpd0l-O77U

Many, many thanks for sharing. how wonderful to have the visual to put with the performances. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:45 am 

I think the audio sq from the video now in circulation, is far better than the BtB Piquantique, and more complete. I listen to that version. Years back I did a complete upgrade of the BtB series #1 & #2. Most titles had upgrades in sq and completeness available. Same can be done for The Mystery Box/20 Years of FZ, and The History and Collected Improvisations box.