Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hot Rats Sessions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:18 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Years ago, last century, I hung with a guy Matt who was heavily into
photography, this was way back when you needed a guy into photography
and a darkroom to do photography stuff.

Among other things Matt did an amazing job reproducing hundreds of my
tiny family photos that had been taken throughout the late 40's 50's and 60's
mostly with the old box brownie type camera, many with a close up of my
mothers finger along the bottom, creating an awesome family artifact
that nobody cares about. Matt has always done a lot of commercial work,
his own personal work has always been in black and white which automatically
earned him the team nickname of Matt Black.....

Anyway, away back in the day, Matt blew up a Hot Rats poster, cropped out the text
top and bottom had it mounted and framed and gave it to me on my 21st birthday.
That scary picture has hung in on and around my life through all the comings and
goings since March 1979.

It has been suggested that The Hot Rats Sessions cover deserves the same treatment,
I've made the call on the Black phone and Miss Christine is getting a twin.....
It was good to talk to th' Black one, it had been a year or so, he's coming around tonight
for the new years eve gathering that we're not having.....
Matt hasn't seen Cookie since 92-93, they had a short thing back in the 80's
it ended badly because Matt had a short thing :lol: that thing being an attention span.....
It could be a tough night for the kids.....
Matt is unaware of Cookie's situation and
Cookie is unaware that Matt came out of the closet in 2002.....

How about an update for the curious... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 am 

Just received shipping notice for my copy ! , will arrive next week (hopefully ).
I have so far resisted the temptation of listening via spotify or you tube .

If i had decided to buy from HMV the price is (sit down for this )- £141.99 !!! That is $185 US dollars .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:27 pm 

I played some of it on News Years for a guest who loved it... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:44 pm 

Plook wrote:

I've been wondering, do you have to be a Zappa fan to enjoy this game? Or is it something anyone could get into?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:37 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Plook wrote:

I've been wondering, do you have to be a Zappa fan to enjoy this game? Or is it something anyone could get into?

I was playing with a Barry Manilow fan the other day and we had a fabulous time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm 

KUIII wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
Plook wrote:

I was playing with a Barry Manilow fan the other day and we had a fabulous time. :mrgreen:

I went right off Barry Manilow, that rat writes the songs that make the young girls cry.....
Which strictly speaking was written by someone named Bruce Johnston,
but performed and made famous by lil Barry Pincus from Brooklyn.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:02 am 

From American Songwriter:

https://americansongwriter.com/frank-kappa-hot-rats-sessions-album-review/hal-horowitz/

Unless you were around and musically aware in 1969 when this, Frank Zappa’s first official solo album, was unleashed, it’s hard to understand how revolutionary it was. Fifty years later, little has changed.

Hot Rats remains arguably Zappa’s finest project, which is saying plenty considering his catalog now numbers over 100 releases. But five decades ago, this explosive combination of free jazz, fusion jazz-rock, avant-garde and intricately crafted classically influenced compositions proved that Frank Zappa was so far ahead of most of his contemporaries as to make nearly anything else released in that watershed year seem tame in comparison.

The two short tunes that lead off either side of the initial vinyl (“Peaches En Regalia” and “Little Umbrellas”) remain some of Zappa’s best known works. They are tightly written jazz influenced pieces (calling them songs somehow doesn’t reflect sufficient gravitas) featuring complex but hummable melodies, complicated percussion and enough twists and turns to power entire albums from lesser talents.

But the bulk of the predominantly instrumental album displays the mind-altering musicianship of Zappa and especially his players;saxist/multi-instrumentalist Ian Underwood and violinist Don “Sugarcane” Harris. They push way outside conventional jazz boundaries on the brain frying “The Gumbo Variations” (at nearly 13 minutes, the disc’s longest and perhaps most intense track). Captain Beefheart’s scuzzy, Howlin’ Wolf-styled vocals power the swamp funk of the existential “Willie the Pimp” and the soundtrack inspired “Son of Mr. Green Genes” displays Zappa’s taut arranging abilities as nimbly as anything he wrote.

Hot Rats doesn’t just get any expanded treatment for this 50th anniversary edition. Rather Zappa’s impossibly deep vaults are mined for every worthwhile note played and scrap of rehearsal tape that yielded the album’s initial 43 minutes. These six discs show, in a fly-on-the-wall fashion and for better or worse, how the sausage was made. The tracks were cut, pasted, shaped and edited from longer jam sessions (how about 15 minutes of “Willie the Pimp”?), multiple guitar overdubs (many featuring Zappa’s impressive use of the wah-wah pedal) and extended performances that sometimes don’t go anywhere of interest, but more often do. The whole shebang, now in a sturdy, sumptuous box with a 28 page book featuring firsthand accounts and rare pictures of the recording, will take nearly eight hours of your life to plow through, and even more to digest.

Clearly this isn’t for the Zappa neophyte, and not just because of its near $100 price tag. Even established fans will find wading and sifting through hours of raw material somewhat of a chore, despite the riches that may justify the time. But for Zappa obsessives, and you know who you are, it’s impossible to imagine a more thorough and exhaustive (maybe exhausting is a better word) examination of the artist and how his music was created—before the advent of digital technology– than this.

Sit back, dig in and enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 am 

Finally arrived today . :D
Was it worth waiting 2 weeks to save £4 ?.........................no f%*$ing way . :)

Will have to get a good cover for it after putting all 6 discs in normal cd cases to enable easy access and lessen the risk of damage to the discs or the box .

Can't bring myself to tear out the cards for the game ( i know how sad that is )so will leave intact .

Please ZFT no wierd packaging on future releases .

Oh , and i cant play it for a day or two because this idiot has an ear infection ! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:09 am 

Pro Tip: Stop using your ears to play cds. Use your hands. No wonder you ended up with an infection. Remember that and people'll stop calling you an idiot fer sure! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:40 pm 

^^^ :lol: :lol: ^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 pm 

American Songwriter does not know about Lumpy Gravy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:42 pm 

Big day on the Hot Rats front today, not only did I receive the RSD Black Friday Peaches' picture disc #4233
but I also received, from somewhere else in the world entirely, the Hot Rats Limited Edition Hot Pink Vinyl 8)

Now we wait for the Hot Rats book.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:55 am 

^^ DROOL ^^
I also await the book .

Finally listening to disc 1

First impressions = wow , worth the wait and some .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:04 pm 

Yummy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 am 

last weekend there was some kind of unconscious cosmic coming together.....
I was blissfully unaware as I was listening to the hot rats sessions that,
completely by chance, I was wearing a hot rats t shirt drinking coffee from a hot rats mug
and reading the hot rats sessions booklet with the sessions box on the music stand beside me.....

Unsurprisingly the little woman gave me a look and uttered the words
"you've got a problem" as she was passing through..... :lol:

If only I had been wearing the hot rats cap.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:31 am 

^^ I can see nothing wrong with that :? ^^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 am 

Kudos, ZFT for the YouTube campaign on this!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Are you talking about the ad for The Hot Rats Sessions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jsVYQ5H9Y) or did i miss something?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Are you talking about the ad for The Hot Rats Sessions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jsVYQ5H9Y) or did i miss something?

That, and maybe the auto-generated Universal Music Group playlist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPd2PMg ... 0NpZl0LaHE)?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:17 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

That, and maybe the auto-generated Universal Music Group playlist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPd2PMg ... 0NpZl0LaHE)?

8) thanks! :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 pm 

Currently enjoying Son of Mr Green Genes, take 1. Lacking a little punch but otherwise OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am 

for those that haven't been paying attention.....

DOUG GALLANT: Hot Rats shows Zappa’s genius
Doug Gallant (dpagallant@gmail.com)
Published: 17 hours ago
Updated: 17 hours ago

Frank Zappa’s genius is on full display on a 50th anniversary boxed set commemorating his first solo album Hot Rats. The Hot Rats Sessions includes a photo booklet with many never-before- seen photos from those sessions and a board game. Photo submitted

When Frank Zappa released Hot Rats in 1969 a number of people didn’t know what to make of it.

Despite the fact he’d never really been a mainstream act Zappa’s first solo album took fans places he’d never really gone with his much-loved Mothers of Invention.

The almost exclusively instrumental album earned high praise for Zappa for its highly innovative and conceptual nature, its orchestration, its use of what was then new technology and for Zappa’s masterful guitar work.

Fifty years after the release of that groundbreaking set Zappa’s record label has decided to mark the anniversary by putting together a massive boxed set.

How massive?

The original Hot Rats release, self-described as a “movie for your ears,” had a running length of slightly more than 40 minutes. The commemorative release, The Hot Rats Sessions, contains no less than six discs.

Packed into those six discs are unreleased basic tracks, rare and unedited mixes, work mixes and what his label describes as relevant nuggets from Zappa’s vault.

Included in the box as well are never-before-seen photos from the Hot Rats recording sessions and the photo shoot that yielded the Hot Rats cover.

There’s even a unique Zappa Land board game in which fans are tasked with helping Frank get back to the studio to finish Hot Rats. Never saw that coming.

Hot Rats is considered a milestone record for Zappa because what he did with tracks like “Peaches En Regalia”, “Son of Mr. Green Genes”, “The Gumbo Variations” and “Little Umbrellas” helped define what we came to call jazz-rock fusion.

Through the additional tracks that make up this set you truly get a sense of how Zappa’s mind worked in the studio and what he was willing to try to achieve the sound he wanted. This collection documents and compiles every composition recorded during several days in July 1969 when Zappa recorded Hot Rats and a wealth of other material that ended up being used throughout multiple releases during his lifetime.

Hot Rats was composed, arranged, and produced by Zappa who played guitar on all tracks and delivered extraordinary solos throughout.

Fast Facts

The fifth and sixth discs of The Hot Rats Sessions presents the original Hot Rats album with Zappa’s 1987 digital re-mix along with an assortment of extras such as vintage promotional audio ads for the album, the mono singles of “Peaches En Regalia” and “Little Umbrellas” and rare mixes of more than a dozen tracks.

The Hot Rats Sessions is rife with unreleased session material and also includes the first-ever official release of “Bognor Regis,” and several unedited masters of songs like “Twenty Small Cigars,” “Toads Of The Short Forest,” “Lil’ Clanton Shuffle” and “Directly From My Heart To You.”

One of the best-selling albums of his career, the six-song record was made up of five instrumentals, and one non-instrumental, the blues rocker “Willie The Pimp”, which was sung by frequent Zappa collaborator Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart.

Zappa was joined in the studio by an impressive line-up of musicians that included multi-instrumentalist Ian Underwood, violinists Don “Sugarcane” Harris and Jean Luc Ponty, bassist Max Bennett, drummers Jon Guerin, Paul Humphrey and Ron Selico, R&B pioneer Johnny Otis and his 15-year-old son, Shuggie Otis.

The material here was mixed from the original multi-track master tapes by Craig Parker Adams and mastered last year by Bob Ludwig.

The liner notes include essays by Zappa collaborator Ian Underwood and Vaultmeister Travers and an appreciation from “The Simpsons” creator and lifelong Zappa fan, Matt Groening, who recounts his first time listening to Hot Rats as a teenager:

“From the opening moments of that unforgettable drum fill, I was transported. The kaleidoscopic, calliopean, dare-I-say-callipygian, mini-masterpiece ‘Peaches En Regalia’ elevated my scrawny body into the air, spun me around like a propeller beanie, and melted my brain.”

Listening to Hot Rats today I am even more amazed that this record came out 50 years ago.

Zappa was a genius. There can be no doubt of that.

(Rating 4 out of 5 stars)

Doug Gallant is a freelance writer and well-known connoisseur of a wide variety of music. His On Track column will appear in The Guardian every second Saturday. To comment on what he has to say or to offer suggestions for future reviews, email him at dpagallant@gmail.com.

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/lifestyle ... us-396825/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:05 am 

The Hot Rats Book was shipped on the 13th, due for delivery on the 28th..... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 am 

Hot damn it. A Hot Rats Book that doesn't have a single photo of Captain Beefheart in it??? No photos of the model used on the front except the cover? No talk about all the great artists and instruments they used etc?? The majority of reviews I've read on Amazon etc are really pushing me away from this extra money grab. I think I'll just aim for the music.

I'm still keen on the set(although I have to 2nd the thoughts of many on here in that the format of 'The Roxy Box' would have been preferred to bring the cost right down and not present gimmicky bling designed to extract more cash from the die hard Frank Zappa fan.)

THE MUSIC is most important, the bling and packaging..... not so much. Yeah it can be nice but at the end of the day, price normally matters more especially to new Zappa fans as there's A LOT of albums in the Frank Zappa back catalogue. Also remember that we all have the free balloon that featured in the Hamersmith Odeon set right????, so a personal party is already given and received.

Still thrilled it's all being released from the vault, but I hope future releases could go back to the standard format like for the Roxy Box to give the fans a bargain again with the cost of the packages. If there all going to be released like this from now on, it's really going to cut into my music budget and that would be bad. (Also how much shelf space have fans got?)

Also it may be worth doing a survey on the forum perhaps to see what the majority of fans really want to see when it comes to book releases. You may be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 am 

Hear Hear, here. I could better understand the deluxe packaging if they were releasing one a year, but 2019 gave us a glorious bounty of FOUR releases (a retail total of approximately $275-300 in the US). I've said it before, but I would opt for uniformly packages sets a la the Columbia Miles Davis boxes with the brass bindings or maybe the Mosaic jazz sets. The completest in me likes the way they all line up on my shelves.

Minor griping aside, I am glad to see so much great music coming out of the vault and am always looking forward to the next one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next