Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:28 am 

Hey all!

I will be chatting with the Vaultmeister about the Halloween 1973 release this week, and we are taking YOUR QUESTIONS! If you have any questions related to Halloween 1973, feel free to post them here and they shall be asked!

Thanks, gang!
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am 

Hey Scott -
When mixing, where does Joe see himself between Big Production and Documentarian? Does he only fix tape problems (baking etc...) then balance the faders (using high qualifty equipment of course)? Howz about other things such as panning and depth perspective, compression, EQ, Reverb, Delay etc...?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 pm 

Howdy Scott (and Joe)-

How are the marketing and packaging decisions made regarding this and other releases? I personally like the masks and other creative packaging (to me that’s part of the fun of being a collector and fan) but others have been critical wishing for more barebones releases at a lower price.

Keep Up The Good Work,
Kill Ugly III

PS-Are there going to be any Blu-ray audio releases in the future?

Last edited by KUIII on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:57 pm 

Hi Sott and Joe ,

Is there a good quality video recording of the 88' band that could be released on blu ray .

Regards to you both and thanks for your most excellent work .

Tinkamok

Last edited by tinkamok on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:12 pm 

Can we get an update on the possible future release of The Rage And The Fury?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:16 pm 

Hi Sott and Joe ,

This may be a little out of your wheelhouse but I saw a report about Bill Grahams estate having high quality films of bands that played the Fillmore West over the years, do they have Film of Frank and if so could you access it to assist in completing any projects from the vault, thank you and I love the releases good work.

Plook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am 

At what point do you decide what a vault release will physically look like? Or is that not something that you bother thinking about? The variation in box sets has been dizzying. Just when I think I see a pattern materializing, things change.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:11 am 

Having arrived late to the party , maybe this could be addressed as an edit.

Engineering Question regarding how Kerry McNabb worked differently between Roxy 16 track recordings and Halloween 73 shows' 4 track recording. Of all the FOH performed what instruments and vocals were tracked to each tape track in both 4 and 16 track scenarios.

Edit Note: The promo editorial here does make note of Hi-Res transfers and remix by Craig Parker Adams.

Comparisons
Machines used, mic setups and such . Mic placement and what instruments were recorded on each of the 4 track Halloween and 16 track Roxy. It would be great to hear an audio making of these tracks isolated.

Even though similar or exact instrumentation is used between Halloween 73' and Roxy the raw essense of these early recordings of this band is something I am very interested in. The decisions they used of what instrumentation goes on a given recording track. The results. Contrast between each.

While much may very well be in your liner notes ,the live dialog in this show is a really fine place for us all share the love.

Virtual Hug. BTW , I found it amazing that the 50th Anniversary Date of Hot Rats and National Hug A Drummer Day took place on the same day.

All the best Gary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am 

Listened to the new ZappaCast last night. Check it out, it’s a good listen. They answered the first four questions posed on this thread and some from other sources. There is supposed to be a part 2 of this podcast in a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:27 am 

KUIII wrote:
Listened to the new ZappaCast last night. Check it out, it’s a good listen. They answered the first four questions posed on this thread and some from other sources. There is supposed to be a part 2 of this podcast in a couple weeks.

Was kinda hoping for something for Halloween.... :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am 

KUIII wrote:

Lots of clues and hints regarding future releases , better start saving those pennies :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

My best question is: When will things be just available for download (as .flac files, preferably) as opposed to physical releases that have all of the useless stuff attached? I want the music, but not the masks, and other stuff.... Make everything available by download at a "fair" price, and I can guarantee that a LOT of people will be downloading!