Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am 

tweezers wrote:
MOOP wrote:
Tero wrote:
Nixon resigned in Aug of 74. So at this time the song was still relevant. In the Roxy shows Reagan made an appearance. Both came back about 88.

I was at a CSNY concert (August 8th), when Nixon went on TV and announced he was going to resign.
David Crosby came on stage waving this huge American flag and announced it to the audience.
He officially resigned on August 9th.

I saw CSNY on 8/9/74 when Ford took the oath. My show was at the AC Racetrack.

Cool! I didn't know they played AC. The show I saw in Jersey City was supposedly the shortest
show of the entire '74 show. There was no acoustic set. The audience was too noisy and CSNY
gave up trying to do "wooden" music.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 am 

The box arrived. My dog was scared by the mask and gloves, but alas no one else was that terrified, only finding it kind of weird but the box rocked up pretty much Halloween, so not to bad.

The overall concert, is sadly not one of the better concerts I've heard from this group, but it was still great to hear it. Poor Napoleon sounded like he had a cold or something in both shows, everyone else was in top form.

For me, the rehearsal CD was the highlight of the release. I really enjoyed it and found that the performances on that CD were better than all of the other 3 CD's put together, which I found most interesting.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, like I do with all Frank Zappa recordings(even Thing Fish when the mood is right but to this day I always scratch my head with it. It kind of makes sense if you read 'Them Or Us' but it's purposeful nonsense and much harder to listen to than any of Frank's other albums.)

The linear notes from members of the band at the time we terrific and I really like reading about what it was like to play in the Frank Zappa band.

Probably spoiled from the Halloween 77 concerts, but this is a great example of what the band went from and to what they became, continuously improving.

Worth while but I do hope they might consider bringing a standard release with just the 4 CD's out for fans who do not want to have a chunky box that's only that size, so it can fit the mask and gloves. Now here's an idea, have another box, but put an entire year's worth of concerts into the box on say 100 CD's or 25 Bluray audio discs or a mix of both like the King Crimson box sets combined with any photos or video at the time and I don't think you will get the complaint level you'll have for this set.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:45 am 

Picked up the Highlights CD this weekend. That's good enough for me, for now. If they put out a simple 4 CD version i'll go for it….one mask from 77 is more than enough for me, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:53 pm 

"used" one of the Halloween gloves to great effect this afternoon.....
tossed it into the shower while the little woman was scrubbing up!

Psycho 2019

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:54 am 

^^^ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 am 

After much soul-searching I have decided that this is the Zappa release that has pushed me over the edge.

I have everything he has released on CD, including the diminishing returns of the ZINY box, the Roxy box, Halloween 77 (CD set - I avoided the USB stick version) etc.

But this is taking the piss. I bought the highlights set and the sound quality is more like the Road Tapes sets. And I don't need (and I think I can say no one needs) a mask and gloves set, for £80 or whatever it is now.

Now I'm no longer in Completists' Corner I'm already weighing up the Hot Rats set. Definitely too expensive, but of course one of the best albums.

Very frustrated that the ZFT think the way to get fans to part with their money is gimmicks rather than value / musical interest.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 pm 

just for laughs I zipped tied a Halloween '73 glove to the rear window wiper of the Ghostmobile
very good for waving at the nice policeman.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5