Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:17 am 

Just picked it up at the local FNAC (media store in France). Listed as 36 euros but marked down to 17.00 euros. They also had CVIII in a white box, had not seen that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 pm 

Great narration by FZ and the sound is clear and you can hear most of the players most of the time. Really worthwhile :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:15 pm 

Got mine last week. To me, this is one of the very few FZ's LP/CD's that I never really got into... until now.

I love the live stuff. Esp the "instructions" to Black Napkins, where FZ is explaining chord changes and the voicing of the instruments to the orchestra. Very interesting and it shows how well FZ understood the dynamics of an orchestra and how he could translate a relatively simple (a 2 chord progression) composition to a 37-pc orchestral arrangement. Brilliant in its simplicity.

My only gripe/question is about the booklet that comes with the CD-set:
My version appears to cut off Terry's liner notes mid-sentence on the 'last' page. Looks like there is a page missing, but the booklet appears fine with no missing pages at the beginning. Does anyone else have this same printing 'error'? Or do I happen to have a collector's item on my hands :mrgreen: ?

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:42 pm 

My friend, it appears you may indeed have a collectors item :lol:

where do Terry's notes end for you?

:o I got a nice surprise at work today when my copy arrived by courier,
a whole seven days earlier than expected and unexpectedly accompanied
by Mothermania 180g Vinyl (which I don't remember ordering).....

The folks in our center/depot/facility/hub/office or whatever it's designation
is this fiscal quarter, got to enjoy the first listen right along with me.

I have to say Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary has officially leapt straight onto
my personal Top Ten FZ Album Chart with the bullet!

I knew in advance that I was going to love the music, however I didn't expect to begin weeping during Strictly Genteel
and thinking that this is only track one of disc one pull yourself together man! :lol:

Great release.....

Thank you ZFT and all involved.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 am 

^^ very nice ^^

In my copy Terry's notes end with -

" music... DIG IT!"

Terry Bozzio
March 2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 am 

ruudolphus wrote:
… My only gripe/question is about the booklet that comes with the CD-set:
My version appears to cut off Terry's liner notes mid-sentence on the 'last' page. Looks like there is a page missing, but the booklet appears fine with no missing pages at the beginning. Does anyone else have this same printing 'error'? Or do I happen to have a collector's item on my hands :mrgreen: ? …

The way this booklet is made it is hardly possible that only one page is missing (if anything is missing at all). Terry's story ends on page 29. If that one is missing, also page 30 and 3 and 4 must be missing.

Edit: It should be a 32 page booklet. Page 3 has the right half of a stage photo with Frank, Bruce, Pamela and a few others. Page 4 has two Franks. Page 30 has the left half of a photo from rehearsal plus the 'fine print department' with all the production infos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 am 

Thinman wrote:
ruudolphus wrote:
… My only gripe/question is about the booklet that comes with the CD-set:
My version appears to cut off Terry's liner notes mid-sentence on the 'last' page. Looks like there is a page missing, but the booklet appears fine with no missing pages at the beginning. Does anyone else have this same printing 'error'? Or do I happen to have a collector's item on my hands :mrgreen: ? …

The way this booklet is made it is hardly possible that only one page is missing (if anything is missing at all). Terry's story ends on page 29. If that one is missing, also page 30 and 3 and 4 must be missing.

Edit: It should be a 32 page booklet. Page 3 has the right half of a stage photo with Frank, Bruce, Pamela and a few others. Page 4 has two Franks. Page 30 has the left half of a photo from rehearsal plus the 'fine print department' with all the production infos.

Terry's story ends with the words "sampled and combined, cut up into" in my booklet. The page next to that is the last in-fold page with FZ holding a score in his hand and looking slightly to the left (seen from the back). On the back of that is the back cover photo with the Zappa logos's and copyright info.
Also, the booklet I have consists of 7 sheets of paper, stapled and folded, which makes it a 28 page booklet. That is 4 pages short then. How weird.
If I count the front cover photo of FZ conducting as page 1, then on Page 2 there is a photo of Zearoth conducting, on page 3 the contents of disc 1. Page 4 has the 2 Franks. Also, missing is the, what you call, "the fine print department".

Guess I should ask for it to be replaced as it definitely sounds like a wrong booklet. That is the first time I have ever come across that.

Thanks for the help with solving the mystery!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am 

Right. So your booklet misses the one sheet that contains pages 3, 4, 29, 30. A very rare mistake in standardized production processes.

I remember at Zappeteers someone couldn't find the Craig Parker Adams credits in the booklet, so maybe that person also has such a faulty booklet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ruudolphus wrote:
Got mine last week. To me, this is one of the very few FZ's LP/CD's that I never really got into... until now.

I love the live stuff. Esp the "instructions" to Black Napkins, where FZ is explaining chord changes and the voicing of the instruments to the orchestra. Very interesting and it shows how well FZ understood the dynamics of an orchestra and how he could translate a relatively simple (a 2 chord progression) composition to a 37-pc orchestral arrangement. Brilliant in its simplicity.

My only gripe/question is about the booklet that comes with the CD-set:
My version appears to cut off Terry's liner notes mid-sentence on the 'last' page. Looks like there is a page missing, but the booklet appears fine with no missing pages at the beginning. Does anyone else have this same printing 'error'? Or do I happen to have a collector's item on my hands :mrgreen: ?

Enjoy!

Please request a replacement. You don't have a collector's item. You just have a booklet missing pages.
Booklet is 32 pages total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 pm 

Mikey wrote:
Please request a replacement. You don't have a collector's item. You just have a booklet missing pages.
Booklet is 32 pages total.

I have ordered a replacement through Amazon.de. I am wondering though if it might be a whole batch that is faulty, but will see as soon as the replacement discs/booklet arrives.

Update Sept 14:
Replacement arrived today and I am happy to report the booklet is complete. All 32 pages accounted for. Bloody good job too :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:47 pm 

What an awesome release and fine job by Ahmet, Joe and Mikey. Sounds great, packaging beautiful and the source material speaks for itself.

Terry Bozzio mentions that 45 minute Ocean is the Ultimate Solution jam. Hope that gets released in it's entirety.