Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:27 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
^^^Please explain for the idiots like me... :?

Doh!

I gotta stop speed reading... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
^^^Please explain for the idiots like me... :?

Doh!

Plook gets jokes! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm 

Does anyone else feel a bit out-of-kilter when listening to Track 1, Disc 5, The Black Page #2 (Tommy Mars piano version)? The reverse stereo makes me want to turn my back to the music. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 pm 

Just take your speakers and reverse them in the room.

I got as far as putting Disc 1 on iTunes, so it will be at the computer if needed. Luckily there is an extra track so it does not confuse it with the old Orchestral Favorites already on it. But it does not put in under Frank Zappa..will need to fix that.

I put the both discs (1) as a playlist so I can compare, and there is an improvement in sound here and there. But the percussion is still a little dull.

Last edited by Tero on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm 

Tero wrote:
Just take your speakers and reverse them in the room.
I picked these puppies up in 1975. To literally pick them up and move them would take quite an effort. They weigh more than 100 pounds each. What's next? Reverse the wiring? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:19 pm 

There's wires in the back of the amp. Switch A and B.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm 

put a pillow between them crank it up and lay down... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:19 pm 

Plook wrote:
Now, that would work, but I still believe the simplest thing to do is to turn my back to the music for just that one track. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:04 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Plook wrote:
Now, that would work, but I still believe the simplest thing to do is to turn my back to the music for just that one track. 8)

You could put some headphones on backwards. :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16 am 

OR...
just put the headphones on the right way,
but, turn the headphone speakers backwards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:05 pm 

Yes, it's sad, yes I admit to being slow to get this(too much work, not enough Zappa), but it's finally here and OH MAN!!!!

I would have paid the asking price just for the brand new recording of the Black Page by none other than the great Ruth Underwood, of which I'm a massive fan. Ruth is incredible.

I've no doubt, that Frank will be listening to this through the astral plains and loving it.

So the first thing I did besides reflect on the box as being a kind of homage to the famous 'Beat The Boots' box sets in style, was carefully remove that promo sticker, rip off the sealed wrapper and put that sticker on the back of the carefully packed tin. The folks in marketing really cared here.

Then I dived into the booklet because I read there were comments from the actual band members at the time. WAY TO GO RUTH. Ruth kindly includes a set list for us all to see and most fabulously of all, Frank's actual hand written sheet music idea for the Black Page. Great Googily Moogily, how awesome is that. Now we can all read it and marvel at those famous notes.

However, then I read about a brand new recording Ruth had undertaken on the piano for 'The Black Page' and I dived straight for CD 5. I played that before anything else and was marvelously rewarded and interested to hear Ruth's signature timing expressed on the piano, that was a real musical treat and if I ever get to meet Ruth one day, I'll be sure to thank her most profusely for this great tribute to a legendary piece of music. (To think Frank Zappa's music is still getting new versions of his music produced from his actual band members to this day and rightfully so that Ruth's piano version is finally included with this famous album she was so intimately involved with.) With that listened to twice(hey it was great ok!!), I had to listen to the Tommy Mars version at the start of the disc and oh what contrast. A great example of how different musicians can bring there own styles into a piece of music and put there own signature on it, making it a special and unique performance. Then of course it was on to listen to the rest of the live adventure.

What I am loving about these releases is hearing all the interesting banter that Frank shared with the audience. Each and every concert is different and I am loving the great solo's in the live versions of 'Black Napkins.' (admits picking up nearest guitar and trying to jam along to those great improvs, absolutely gorgeous and to my ears perfect. I have to wonder how Frank could write any of them off as 'not for inclusion on an album.') On some of the concerts I'm getting concerned that Terry will get worn out but he just keeps that percussion going and going. The saxophone and trumpet section of the band is in masterful form and as I'm certain Frank would have declared 'the band was tight.'

My concert ticket was ROW E, Seat 107. Out of curiosity did anyone else get a different number? Curious to know if they were all unique or if it's the same identical ticket replica in each tin? If they are unique then reveal yourself lucky owner of ticket for Row A, Seat 1. :)

Absolutely Fabulous box set, there are no complaints except....... (I know I can hear you all groaning already but I gotta keep letting ZFT know.) There is constant bragging about the 24bit 96KHz sampling of these great recordings(just like for the Roxy box set and I'm certain the other new releases no doubt in the pipeline and all now ordered as I wait with my face going blue all in one sentence for them to rock up). Could there be a USB stick release featuring the complete 24bit 96KHz recordings without down sampling for us audio-philes to enjoy? Only too happy to pay for it. Just saying.....

A very special thanks to everyone involved (don't listen to the strange whingers(why wouldn't a Zappa fan want more unreleased Zappa recordings??? weird!!!!) Joe, your doing a sterling job and I'm mega excited for the next lot of new releases to arrive in the mail.), especially the legendary Ruth Underwood. You all ROCK!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 pm 

^^^ nice ^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6