Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.

Now you will never enjoy the excitement of discovering it on your own. Some night 5 years from now it would have hit you and it would have been far more stimulating. Like a little secret left for you by Zappa.

They're wringing out all of the mystery. Every drop. Zappa thrived on mystery. There's nothing better than experiencing FZ's music on it's own terms. I hope it's still possible. The joy of discovery. Without some paid tour guide whispering in your ear.

As to finding clues on my own, yes, of course you are right. In the last 36 years, I have had numerous such discovery occasions, and its super-fun. But, there is not a prescription for such things, nor do I think there should be. There is no guarantee at all that I could or would make any given cc connection, maybe ever in my life.
I am often reminded of Lord Dorwin in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. He considers himself to be an expert on certain matters because he has read all of the top writings on the subject, while having no first hand experience. Lord Dorwin does not go out and seek firsthand knowledge and the story depicts this as somewhat "less than". And, as a Scientist or Investigator, he certainly is! But, as a Hobbyist? There are certainly worse ways of spending my time than learning FZ info secondhand. If I had unlimited time to devote only to FZ, that would be wonderful... and sad that I'd never enjoy much else.
I have no problem learning from others, then tracing over their lines. FZ is a bigger book than I'll ever be, so learning something from / about him is probably my best bet forward than randomly wading through the ocean of material. I can only listen so much and listening for study is different than listening for enjoyment. Sometimes I prefer one or the other. I have a life outside of FZ and while I am enthusiastic about FZ, I have no interest in being myopic... I'm actually gonna do some song writing and recording this weekend. 2nd time this summer, aka 2nd Time in many years... Forward Dorwin to 1st hand knowledge! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:17 am 

This is the best book about FZ's recorded output that I have ever read. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about this sort of thing but every single writeup had a fact about that album that I didn't previously know.

If you don't believe that ignorance is bliss, this publication will enhance your appreciation of FZ immeasurably. It is an absolute must-own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:24 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
This is the best book about FZ's recorded output that I have ever read. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about this sort of thing but every single writeup had a fact about that album that I didn't previously know.

If you don't believe that ignorance is bliss, this publication will enhance your appreciation of FZ immeasurably. It is an absolute must-own.

Does it contain any setlists?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:21 pm 

No. It provides analysis of all the officially released albums. It doesn’t analyze tours and set lists. However, it does sometimes say on what tours certain songs were performed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm 

I initially thought there's way too many books on the market about FZ and that another one is the last thing I need (especially since I own dozens already). But after reading this thread and realizing that the reviews are almost 100% positive, I just ordered it...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:29 am 

One topic that might be worth discussion is the use of the word "grout" for the transitional pieces on Lather and other albums, as in the material between tiles. I dont recall seeing the term used elsewhere. I think I will find myself using it in the future. The book credits the term to Simon Prentis.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:33 am 

I got mine for my birthday can't wait to crack it open... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:21 am 

This book is certainly not the first use of the word 'grout' to describe the little audio pieces that link the tracks together.

The term was used by Frank himself as far back as Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar, which is the first time I heard it. It might even go as far back as Läther.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:41 pm 

You know Twenty Small Cigars is one of my (not Donalds) favourite Zappa tracks.............

I've still got the original Chungas Revenge Cassette I brought way back when and spent many hours on the road going interstate listening to the Road Ladies too :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:02 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
This book is certainly not the first use of the word 'grout' to describe the little audio pieces that link the tracks together.

The term was used by Frank himself as far back as Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar, which is the first time I heard it. It might even go as far back as Läther.

This term makes complete sense to me, typically Frank... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 am 

It's fine. Needs a sidebar on Groupies, GTO or a narrower bit, like Miss Lucy and Miss...what was the second one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 am 

coevad wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

Does it contain any setlists?

No. It just lists the tours on which each song was played. There is a main entry for each song within the album where it first appeared.