Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Maybe lapsed is busy, but shouldn't there be someone eagerly eating popcorn about now? :o

Here he comes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm 

Plook wrote:
Here he comes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.

"Charles's book will be the next best thing to being in the room with Frank."
––– Scott Thunes

As if Zappa spent his time sitting around analyzing his past albums.

I've heard the music. Many, many, many times. Decades before this book came out. I've made my judgement already. I want to now learn what some of the process was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

I'll have to show Boris this one, he will get a big kick :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:32 pm 

How do you make it to Carnegie Hall? Finish the Introduction, the Acknowlegements, the A's and the B's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 am 

#sorryi'mlate
#doubleyourpleasure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:29 am 

Yes maps, yer right. We should give downer a more thorough response. A longer one anyway.

dancing about architecture - A familiar quote. This quote is often useful to relay the idea that art cannot be administered by placebo.
However, i would like to propose that one does not read about music as a substitute for music, rather to gain perspective which can add to the experience of music.

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.

Lastley, there are the Bathroom Reading sections. The inset story for CPIII is...
Many inset stories are biographies, but for this one, I found out that there is a CPIII that I've never heard! Another FZ trail to explore!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:03 am 

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.

You never noticed this? I thought you were Hard Core! The Amnerika melody as a vignette, is part of what makes Thing Fish such an important part of the catalogue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:06 am 

Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 am 

Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

I never knew or noticed that either. There's hard core, really hard core, and really really hard core. I'll admit to only being hard core at this point. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:57 pm 

KUIII wrote:

I never knew or noticed that either. There's hard core, really hard core, and really really hard core. I'll admit to only being hard core at this point. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:

:lol:

Depressingly , after nearly 40 yrs of listening and reading ,and after reading many of the posts on this site , I think I may only be "core" :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 am 

^^^^^ 40 years, soft core at the very least :wink: ^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:19 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
^^^^^ 40 years, soft core at the very least :wink: ^^^^^

My core appears to be horribly lacking !
Perhaps if I listen some more :idea: :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 am 

I certainly don't think I'm the crust, though feel free to disagree. I was mantle since the early 80s, then around the 2000s I briefly progressed to the outer-inner core (OIC). Unfortunately, we know that the OIC is liquid and that the Hard Core is strictly limited to the inner-inner core (IIC). While I have visited those in the IIC on occasion, I don't think I'll ever, sniff, graduate to the level of truly being one of the IIC myself. To get there, I'd probably have to write some kinda massive FZ compendium or something, hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:57 am 

I certainly don't think I'm the crust, though feel free to disagree. I was mantle since the early 80s, then around the 2000s I briefly progressed to the outer-inner core (OIC). Unfortunately, we know that the OIC is liquid and that the Hard Core is strictly limited to the inner-inner core (IIC). While I have visited those in the IIC on occasion, I don't think I'll ever, sniff, graduate to the level of truly being one of the IIC myself. To get there, I'd probably have to write some kinda massive FZ compendium or something, hahaha

Brilliant ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All we can do is keep on drillin' ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 am 

I was headed to the crust to make my way to the core by way of the ocean and inevitably I was distracted off course... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am 

We should all proceed with caution !

The core is believed to be made of some kind of heavy metal .

I don't want that . :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am 

Yeah, I think thats true. Just the guitar player though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 pm 

I'm the chewy caramel center.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:02 pm 

Now you will never enjoy the excitement of discovering it on your own. Some night 5 years from now it would have hit you and it would have been far more stimulating. Like a little secret left for you by Zappa.

They're wringing out all of the mystery. Every drop. Zappa thrived on mystery. There's nothing better than experiencing FZ's music on it's own terms. I hope it's still possible. The joy of discovery. Without some paid tour guide whispering in your ear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:11 pm 

I don’t think Zappa wanted to be mysterious about his work. He wanted people to better understand it. He was open about his influences and what he was trying to achieve. He was a champion of information and truth.

There’s plenty of discovery to be had in all of our lifetimes and in future lifetimes. A book like this can only help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:15 am 

For those of us not from the USA , many of FZs references can be hard to decipher .As an example , FZs use of a tv advert as inspiration for a song or a few lines in a song , is never going to be fully understood by someone from outside of the USA who will not have seen that particular advert , which may have been shown only on American tv for a year or two way back in the 1970s.

Books such as this provide invaluable information to help us understand what de fucks goin' on .

I find it enhances my listening experience and comprehension . :)