Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32814
Location: Somewhere in time
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Maybe lapsed is busy, but shouldn't there be someone eagerly eating popcorn about now? :o


Here he comes... :mrgreen:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 751
Plook wrote:
Here he comes... :mrgreen:


Image

_________________
Buy some! Now!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16546
downer mydnyte wrote:
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.

"Charles's book will be the next best thing to being in the room with Frank."
––– Scott Thunes

As if Zappa spent his time sitting around analyzing his past albums.


I've heard the music. Many, many, many times. Decades before this book came out. I've made my judgement already. I want to now learn what some of the process was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: where the dogs roll by
downer mydnyte wrote:
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.



Image

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17045
Location: The cosmos at large
:mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 757
sleeping in a jar wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.



Image


I'll have to show Boris this one, he will get a big kick :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6403
Location: Between the Badges
How do you make it to Carnegie Hall? Finish the Introduction, the Acknowlegements, the A's and the B's.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15116
Location: misanthropia
Image

#sorryi'mlate
#doubleyourpleasure

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6403
Location: Between the Badges
Yes maps, yer right. We should give downer a more thorough response. A longer one anyway.

dancing about architecture - A familiar quote. This quote is often useful to relay the idea that art cannot be administered by placebo.
However, i would like to propose that one does not read about music as a substitute for music, rather to gain perspective which can add to the experience of music.

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Image

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.

Lastley, there are the Bathroom Reading sections. The inset story for CPIII is...
Image
Many inset stories are biographies, but for this one, I found out that there is a CPIII that I've never heard! Another FZ trail to explore!

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1881
Location: Bordeaux, France
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Image

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.



You never noticed this? I thought you were Hard Core! The Amnerika melody as a vignette, is part of what makes Thing Fish such an important part of the catalogue.

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6403
Location: Between the Badges
Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9044
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

I never knew or noticed that either. There's hard core, really hard core, and really really hard core. I'll admit to only being hard core at this point. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29726
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
KUIII wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

I never knew or noticed that either. There's hard core, really hard core, and really really hard core. I'll admit to only being hard core at this point. :lol:


:lol:

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 938
Location: Plymouth England
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Nope, I listen to TF about once a year. Not really enough to say Ive studied it with respect to CPIII.

I never knew or noticed that either. There's hard core, really hard core, and really really hard core. I'll admit to only being hard core at this point. :lol:


:lol:


Depressingly , after nearly 40 yrs of listening and reading ,and after reading many of the posts on this site , I think I may only be "core" :?

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29726
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
^^^^^ 40 years, soft core at the very least :wink: ^^^^^

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 938
Location: Plymouth England
Gray_Ghost wrote:
^^^^^ 40 years, soft core at the very least :wink: ^^^^^


My core appears to be horribly lacking !
Perhaps if I listen some more :idea: :D

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6403
Location: Between the Badges
Image

I certainly don't think I'm the crust, though feel free to disagree. I was mantle since the early 80s, then around the 2000s I briefly progressed to the outer-inner core (OIC). Unfortunately, we know that the OIC is liquid and that the Hard Core is strictly limited to the inner-inner core (IIC). While I have visited those in the IIC on occasion, I don't think I'll ever, sniff, graduate to the level of truly being one of the IIC myself. To get there, I'd probably have to write some kinda massive FZ compendium or something, hahaha

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 938
Location: Plymouth England
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Image

I certainly don't think I'm the crust, though feel free to disagree. I was mantle since the early 80s, then around the 2000s I briefly progressed to the outer-inner core (OIC). Unfortunately, we know that the OIC is liquid and that the Hard Core is strictly limited to the inner-inner core (IIC). While I have visited those in the IIC on occasion, I don't think I'll ever, sniff, graduate to the level of truly being one of the IIC myself. To get there, I'd probably have to write some kinda massive FZ compendium or something, hahaha


Brilliant ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All we can do is keep on drillin' ! :D

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32814
Location: Somewhere in time
I was headed to the crust to make my way to the core by way of the ocean and inevitably I was distracted off course... :mrgreen:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 938
Location: Plymouth England
We should all proceed with caution !

The core is believed to be made of some kind of heavy metal .

I don't want that . :)

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6403
Location: Between the Badges
Yeah, I think thats true. Just the guitar player though.

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 751
I'm the chewy caramel center.

_________________
Buy some! Now!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5186
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

So for The Big Note, I concede that the Encyclopedia portions of the book are largely superfluous. But, when added to the comments on the individual tunes, the result is illuminating. For example, for Amnerika, we get some notes on the construction, a quote from Ali Askin about hocketing and then something I never knew...

Granted, a hard-core ear may eventually notice such things, but I never have and will be comparing them in the near future.


Now you will never enjoy the excitement of discovering it on your own. Some night 5 years from now it would have hit you and it would have been far more stimulating. Like a little secret left for you by Zappa.

They're wringing out all of the mystery. Every drop. Zappa thrived on mystery. There's nothing better than experiencing FZ's music on it's own terms. I hope it's still possible. The joy of discovery. Without some paid tour guide whispering in your ear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9044
I don’t think Zappa wanted to be mysterious about his work. He wanted people to better understand it. He was open about his influences and what he was trying to achieve. He was a champion of information and truth.

There’s plenty of discovery to be had in all of our lifetimes and in future lifetimes. A book like this can only help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 938
Location: Plymouth England
For those of us not from the USA , many of FZs references can be hard to decipher .As an example , FZs use of a tv advert as inspiration for a song or a few lines in a song , is never going to be fully understood by someone from outside of the USA who will not have seen that particular advert , which may have been shown only on American tv for a year or two way back in the 1970s.

Books such as this provide invaluable information to help us understand what de fucks goin' on .

I find it enhances my listening experience and comprehension . :)

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group