Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
Saw this new book being discussed on Zappateers. It looks like a doozy. I just ordered it up. Surprised I haven’t seen it mentioned on this forum (maybe I missed it) but it sounds like it’s the essential FZ companion. Does anybody have it yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16545
It looks great, and as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a copy also. There was mention of it in the "What book are you reading?" thread, but no real discussion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
I've had it a couple weeks, but it's friggin huge. It'll be a while til I'm through.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 33617
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I've had it a couple weeks, but it's friggin huge. It'll be a while til I'm through.

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of time on the toilet!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 751
I'd better get a copy for the white house :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I've had it a couple weeks, but it's friggin huge. It'll be a while til I'm through.

It seems like it’s the type of reference book that you will want to go back to time and again and something you don’t necessarily need to read front to back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
I agree, especially since its alphabetical rather than chronological. Serious potential for Bathroom Reading jpd, hahaha

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
Just got it. Wow! What a lot of great information and sources. Really well put together and edited. At first glance no typos or messines that you see in so many “rock books”. Thank you Charles Ulrich for completing this Herculean effort.

I must say I’m also very fond of Greg Russo’s Cosmik Debris book. I haven’t checked out the Scott Parker books yet. Do those have much to add to the story?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1246
Location: The Short Forest
It's back in stock @ Amazon. Ordered last night, email says I should have by Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29672
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Jesus yet another FZ reference book I don't need to add to the ridiculous number I already have.



Ordered..... :lol:

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Jesus yet another FZ reference book I don't need to add to the ridiculous number I already have.



Ordered..... :lol:

You NEED this one! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 33617
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
I ordered it Tuesday.
Amazon said it would arrive July 6.
Just got an e-mail saying it's been shipped, and will be here tomorrow.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 751
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Jesus yet another FZ reference book I don't need to add to the ridiculous number I already have.



Ordered..... :lol:


Yeah, my White house is overflowing already but I've already told Donald I want it :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: where the dogs roll by
Received mine today. This book is unbelievably phenomenally excellent!!!

I can say without hyperbole that this is an absolute must. I haven't approached it in any kind of order yet, just randomly opening pages.

Outstanding!

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29672
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Good to know, my copy is somewhere between the Amazon and Wellington..... :D

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that button on your shirt?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32788
Location: Somewhere in time
Ok I'll buy it... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
Anybody past the letter "B" yet? :)

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32788
Location: Somewhere in time
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Anybody past the letter "B" yet? :)



If by "B" you mean buy, not yet... :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Anybody past the letter "B" yet? :)

I’m not going in alphabetical order. The way I’ve been reading it to open up the chapter corresponding to the album I am currently listening to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5181
All of the album credits and lyrics are online. What are we left with? Detailed commentary on 1,663 tracks. Charles Ulrich dancing about architecture.

I hope no impressionable young people read any of this book before they get a chance to experience Zappa's music on it's own terms . Music "writers" are always trying to control other people's perspectives. They can't seem to let the art just be.

Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.

"Charles's book will be the next best thing to being in the room with Frank."
––– Scott Thunes

As if Zappa spent his time sitting around analyzing his past albums.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
Thanks for setting us straight on that Downer. :roll:

Geez, it’s a reference book for hardcore fans. He’s not subjecting us to HIS opinions like Ben Watson and others have done in books and commentary. What do you have against Charles Ulrich? You don’t like physical books and only like getting information online?

No newbie is going to pick this book up and base his potential appreciation for FZ’s music on it. Maybe after a number of years of listening he or she might find that it enhances his or her appreciation and knowledge of the subject. This book is certainly optional entertainment though and nobody is going to force you or anyone else to purchase it or look at it.

Zappa obviously spent considerable time analyzing his past work. Ever heard of Conceptual Continuity?


Last edited by KUIII on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 751
downer mydnyte wrote:
Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.


This is such a bizarre criticism because you seem to take Charles's book for the opposite of what it is. It is not a book of Charles Ulrich's opinions or interpretations of FZ's output. Charles hasn't put himself in the book at all, and in no way attempts to serve as a "middleman" between FZ and the listener. It's a purely factual tome, and anyone who cares to really understand where FZ was coming from will find it a treasure trove. It's the Mother lode of conceptual continuity.

The thing is that FZ's music does not speak for itself. His recordings are crammed with obscure references, musical quotes, in-jokes, cross-references, bits of pop-culture that few in 2018 would remember, and so on, and Zappa would have been the first to tell you that the only person who really understood the whole Project-Object was himself. Well, Charles's book will get you about as close as a mere mortal is going to get. Charles was a highly erudite Zappa scholar to begin with, and after spending a decade and a half in serious research, consultation with band members and other Zappa associates, and constant contact with an international network of fans/Zappa nerds (full disclosure: including me, though my contributions were minor) he has come up with an encyclopedia that will enhance the enjoyment and understanding of Zappa's work for anyone who cares to dig below the surface, and sets the record straight where FZ didn't (incomplete personnel credits on albums, inaccurate statements in interviews that have been taken as gospel), and tells the story behind all those names on the album sleeves. If you think that listening to the records is all there is to Zappa appreciation, then maybe this book isn't for you. But if you want to learn where it came from, what it means, and who contributed to building the "output macrostructure," this is an invaluable resource.

_________________
Buy some! Now!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9037
Shrewnews wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Why does anyone need a middleman between themselves and FZ's music? I'm not going to relegate Zappa's music to the background while I pay attention to Charles Ulrich. The music speaks for itself.


This is such a bizarre criticism because you seem to take Charles's book for the opposite of what it is. It is not a book of Charles Ulrich's opinions or interpretations of FZ's output. Charles hasn't put himself in the book at all, and in no way attempts to serve as a "middleman" between FZ and the listener. It's a purely factual tome, and anyone who cares to really understand where FZ was coming from will find it a treasure trove. It's the Mother lode of conceptual continuity.

The thing is that FZ's music does not speak for itself. His recordings are crammed with obscure references, musical quotes, in-jokes, cross-references, bits of pop-culture that few in 2018 would remember, and so on, and Zappa would have been the first to tell you that the only person who really understood the whole Project-Object was himself. Well, Charles's book will get you about as close as a mere mortal is going to get. Charles was a highly erudite Zappa scholar to begin with, and after spending a decade and a half in serious research, consultation with band members and other Zappa associates, and constant contact with an international network of fans/Zappa nerds (full disclosure: including me, though my contributions were minor) he has come up with an encyclopedia that will enhance the enjoyment and understanding of Zappa's work for anyone who cares to dig below the surface, and sets the record straight where FZ didn't (incomplete personnel credits on albums, inaccurate statements in interviews that have been taken as gospel), and tells the story behind all those names on the album sleeves. If you think that listening to the records is all there is to Zappa appreciation, then maybe this book isn't for you. But if you want to learn where it came from, what it means, and who contributed to building the "output macrostructure," this is an invaluable resource.

Thank you!! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
Maybe lapsed is busy, but shouldn't there be someone eagerly eating popcorn about now? :o
Well, this is a book that I'm currently reading and of course I enjoy a healthy deb... awrite downer, finish this up so I don't have you as a devil figure over my shoulder when I'm reading the book tomorrow at lunchtime! :D

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 937
Location: Plymouth England
Image

Charles Ulrich has done an awesome job with this , more detail than a very detailed thing !

And what Shrewnews said .


Last edited by tinkamok on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group