Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 am 

Hello fellow Zappa fans,
Some of you may have seen a collection of 20 alleged albums from shows at these concerts pop up on ebay along with some Captain Beefheart recordings from around the same times.

Just wondering if anyone knows if these are worth obtaining or if there simply already available online etc?

A simple search for 'Zappa Boxset' on ebay will bring them up. The guy who sells them bundles 20 CD's, 4 DVD's and a couple of T-shirts and posters in the set.

Please let me know and if ZFT is reading this, then by all means let us all know if there going to be released in time from Frank's Vault tapes.

I'll always support the original source before a bootlegger any day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am 

I own the Knebworth box, I bought it for the book & memorabilia. However, the CD's are just homemade crap, not even taken from the best sources available.

All true Zappa fans know where to get the best bootlegs for free.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 pm 

I’ve seen these offered from something called http://www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com. Supposedly from the estate a of the promoter that put on the Festival. Since I was a fan of all the bands that were at the 1978 festival (FZ, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile, etc) I thought I would test the waters and order a t-shirt replica from that show. It never arrived, they said they sent it, I said I didn’t get it, make it right or refund me, they did neither. I’m done with them. End of story.

Post note: This was about five years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
I own the Knebworth box, I bought it for the book & memorabilia. However, the CD's are just homemade crap, not even taken from the best sources available.

All true Zappa fans know where to get the best bootlegs for free.

Thanks TwentySmallCigars. You have pretty much confirmed what I suspected. I'll check out the 'real' source us Zappa fans know about on them. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I’ve seen these offered from something called http://www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com. Supposedly from the estate a of the promoter that put on the Festival. Since I was a fan of all the bands that were at the 1978 festival (FZ, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile, etc) I thought I would test the waters and order a t-shirt replica from that show. It never arrived, they said they sent it, I said I didn’t get it, make it right or refund me, they did neither. I’m done with them. End of story.

Post note: This was about five years ago.

I had MANY problems with these guys too. Only ordered once but they kept charging my credit card over and over again. Had to file a claim with my credit card company. I don't know if they're criminals or just incompetent (probably the latter) but I would be very wary about dealing with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am 

KUIII wrote:
I’ve seen these offered from something called http://www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com. Supposedly from the estate a of the promoter that put on the Festival. Since I was a fan of all the bands that were at the 1978 festival (FZ, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile, etc) I thought I would test the waters and order a t-shirt replica from that show. It never arrived, they said they sent it, I said I didn’t get it, make it right or refund me, they did neither.

Knowing what I know I would say that THEY were the ones testing the waters.
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
I had MANY problems with these guys too. Only ordered once but they kept charging my credit card over and over again. Had to file a claim with my credit card company. I don't know if they're criminals or just incompetent (probably the latter) but I would be very wary about dealing with them.

Only very wary? I consider them completely untrustworthy and criminal. Charging a credit card over and over again is not usually a case of incompetence.

Spaceresearcher wrote:
If ZFT is reading this, then by all means let us all know if there going to be released in time from Frank's Vault tapes. I'll always support the original source before a bootlegger any day.

ZFT is not the original source. It didn't even exist when these concerts happened.
Spaceresearcher wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if these are worth obtaining

It's subjective. You tell me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm 

I really was wary of this myself. I keep getting e-mails of unbelievable box sets....all from this dealer. What made me wonder was that the CDs and DVDs are pictured so small that I couldn't tell if they were concert recording , interviews, or God knows what. I guessed they were shady......