Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy box
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:35 pm 

Got the shipping notice at 9:00 p.m. last night, and the tasty little sucker is already in my hands! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Got the shipping notice at 9:00 p.m. last night, and the tasty little sucker is already in my hands! :mrgreen:

yeeeee haaaaa!

I'm still waiting.....

To date I've resisted the download and or streaming bizo.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 am 

usapalu wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Downloaded the flacs & booklet from 7digital.

Nice to have the complete shows with no breaks as a result of CD changes.

Sound quality is superb. This won't matter to mp3 mavens but the mix is truly impressive!

This has me somewhat excited and interested. You mention FLACS. Are they simply FLACS of the actual CD's or the studio recorded audio sampled to FLAC?????

7Digital's website lists the FLAC files as 16 bit/44.1kHz, the same as a CD would be. So FLAC files they be, but not high definition audio files.

Thanks usapalu. No point getting those then. I can get the same files by FLACing my CD set when it arrives as can anyone else who has the CD set.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 am 

polydigm wrote:
After being informed that mine would arrive on Feb 20, it arrived today. The box has a crease in it and I'm considering a complaint. Mind you, being cardboard, it withstood it well; if it was that old CD case plastic, it would have been shattered.

Sorry to hear that man. I'm feeling your pain, if my Halloween 77 box set had been creased for example I would have been pissed too. My set is coming from Amazon as well so I hope it doesn't exhibit the same issue you've unfortunately scored there.

In any event I hope all your CD's are sweet so you can enjoy the most important aspect of all in the set.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 pm 

This set is one of the coolest things in the history of ever. I mean, DAMN.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 pm 

:mrgreen: I only heard the first half of Disc 1 and I'm already blown away at everything.The audio quality and just sheer awesomeness of complete 1973 shows is excellent. Thank you ZFT for another one :!:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 am 

I've listened to the first two discs. It's great to hear parts of songs that were never released.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm 

This box set is incredible :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 pm 

I've listened to this all the way through twice and it's absolutely wonderful!

There are too many highlights to mention them all, but the most notable, at least for me, include, Dickie's Such An Asshole, I'm The Slime / Big Swifty, Echidna's Arf (Of You), Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, King Kong/Chunga's Revenge/Son Of Mr. Green Genes & the Bolic Sound recording takes of Kung-Fu & Rollo (Be-Bop Version)...

There's no doubt whatsoever that this is one of the best ZFT releases thus far! And it might even top Halloween 77, but it's too close to call for me at the moment. I simply cannot wait for the next box set! Hopefully, the Hot Rats 50th Anniversary P/O Audio Documentary is on deck and ready to go?!...

In related news, The Roxy Performances debuted at #70 on the US Retailer Report Top 200 Album Chart this week, selling 2,241 copies (w/ all other formats included, it probably sold around 2,500 copies in the US and 7,500 copies worldwide). This is probably the highest US sales week for ANY particular new Zappa album release since the '90s...

Last edited by Disco Boy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 pm 

Without so much as a by your leave from Amazon, my Roxy box arrived in the P O Box today, around a week early, I almost wet my pants when I realized what was in the package.....

I'm impressed with the packaging, the shininess harkens back to the old masters, the whole thing seems to have an FZ aroma to it.

There will be no prizes for guessing what my nearest neighbors and I will be listening to for the foreseeable future :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm impressed with the packaging, the shininess harkens back to the old masters...

but, I'm guessing that it is intended to reference the stage at the Roxy...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm 

Have had this set since the Friday it came out(thanks Bullmoose :wink: ). Taking my time w/ it and listening to Disc 5 right now. Absolutely awesome box set. Probably the greatest posthumous release to date. I liked the sound on Proxy, the movie sdtk, but this blows those both away. Nice to compare the different titles/mixes. I would say Roxy Film sdtk CD is the one I'd go back to least, seems the most unessential now. I'm all in for more multi-disc(6-8 max) box sets of this nature.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 pm 

I listened from the middle of the fourth disc to the end this morning. Great stuff. I'm a bit Roxy'd out right now, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:39 pm 

"It's not Regella, it's Regalia".

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 am 

OK, this superb collection(7 CD's of downcoverted 16bit 44.1KHz audio) has finally found it's way to my door and I've just checked out the amazing first disc.(then the entire collection as I couldn't wait to dive in to some of my favorite music of all time.) I'm over the moon with joy that I have a recording full stop of 14 wonderful reels from 1973 direct from Frank Zappa's actual vault. What a wonderful gift for any Frank Zappa fan. Anything Frank did with Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson, George Duke and Napoleon Murphy Brock(Grab his 'This is What Frank Heard' album, it's terrific. Napoleon was kind enough to send me a wonderful signed photo as well which I'll cherish to the end of time and if Ruth puts out an album I'll be there for that as well(I would for Chester and I have many of George Dukes amazing jazz albums as well)). Needless to say I love the musicians in this particular group. There all amazing.

Now my first gripe is reading in the linear notes included with the set and I quote: "This boxset contains brand new 2016 mixes by Craig Parker Adams from brand new 96K 24B transfers of the multi-track masters." To this all I can say is: "WHY HAVN'T YOU RELEASED THESE AS AN OPTION FOR US ZAPPA FANS!!!!!" You may be shocked to know that many of us actually own equipment which can handle these files and play them back with beautiful results. Spectacular even. Anyone who thinks these 16bit 44.1KHz downconverted CD's even have a pinch on the 24bit 44.1KHz Halloween WAV files are going to be blown away if the actual 24Bit 96KHz recordings are put up for fans to download(for a fee of course) or just release a USB stick version of these MUST HAVE Zappa recordings.
So PLEASE, give us a chance to own the actual 24Bit 96KHz recordings. Most fans can actually play them back these days it's 2018. I'm listening to the CD's right now and my terrific Hi-Fi headphones can pick up the lower quality of 16bit 44.1KHz in a pinch. It's heart breaking because I absolutely love these recordings and would certainly pay more to get a proper HI-FI USB stick release to make use of my modern Hi-Fi equipment.

My other main gripe is the low quality of the included booklet. The photos are disgraceful. You have a wonderful 1080p transfer of many of these images with the Bluray release yet I'm looking at fuzzy photos in my linear notes book. The photos are nice but would be a lot nicer if they were not blurred. At least the photos of the actual original reels from the vault look good. I was starring at those imagining I had access to these holy grail of Frank Zappa fan would love to own beauties. Original reels from the Roxy performances what a beatiful set of reels to own. I hope there preserved well so they last a lifetime. Seriously amazing collection those 14 reels and it was nice to be able to read every little marking on those sacred boxes containing priceless Frank Zappa work.

Now for the recordings. There ALL amazing and I love every single second of these recordings so beautiful they bring tears of joy to the eyes. The highlights for me besides of course the extra tracks we havn't heard before were the wonderful back stage and initial setting up recordings. Essentially all the extra bonus material and dear I say it the actual COMPLETE recordings obtained from these wonderful shows and the back stage banter.

To conclude this is an ESSENTIAL set for any true Frank Zappa fan, especially if you love albums like 'One Size Fit's All', 'Apostrophe' and 'Overnight Sensation'. Essential and in fact this should be playing on all major radio stations world wide on repeat(paying the ZFT royalties of course) allowing the world to hear real music devoid of the word 'baby' every 5 seconds or less and actually presenting wonderful exciting to the ear sonic portraits of excellence as opposed to monotonous drivel but at least us fans can all spread the word of it's greatness and be spared the monotony that is modern day crappola music and have the wonderful compositions and fantastic work of this great band by being delivered not just a bit but ALL of the Roxy performances of Frank Zappa 1973. Simply superb, simply amazing and YES. THIS IS A DYNAMITE AUDIO SHOW to thrill and amaze you for the rest of your jiving lives.

PLEASE bring out a USB version with the 24bit 96KHz recordings. I'm certain a PDF booklet would fix the photo issues as well. This is great and I'd love to listen to it in ALL it's wonderful sonic glory as opposed to this 16bit 44.1KHz down sampled collection that I've purchased just to support you but I'm willing to give you more for a hi-definition release ZFT. You can cash in twice and mad crazy Frank Zappa fans like me will buy it because we simply love sonic excellence and we all know Frank Zappa did too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:06 am 

Anyone heard about this, before?

and also wik...

The download is $4 more than the physical product?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:43 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm impressed with the packaging, the shininess harkens back to the old masters...

but, I'm guessing that it is intended to reference the stage at the Roxy...

That was my take too on the shiny packaging.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 am 

Still waiting for the thing....By the time it get's here, there'll be another release and i'll buy it and wait. Then by the time that one get's here, another release will appear. It's a never ending battle ain't it !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Still waiting for the thing....By the time it get's here, there'll be another release and i'll buy it and wait. Then by the time that one get's here, another release will appear. It's a never ending battle ain't it !

What's the deal T A 2? mine arrived February 15th, and I'm at the bottom of the earth.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm 

Recieved a couple of minutes ago.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on December 18, 2017. We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

Zappa, Frank "The Roxy Performances (7CD Boxed Set)"
Estimated arrival date: March 29, 2018 - April 05, 2018

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:34 pm 

I'm in the same boat as you doug - pre-ordered in december and my last notification said March 23 - but I'm sure I'll get the same notification as you. Annoying but I guess I can spend more time with Halloween '77 and the Heavy Horses 40th. First World problem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 am 

Yeah they're telling me march 28/29th. Meanwhile a friend of mine came over the other day and streamed it to my stereo through Quobuz in high rez. That in itself pissed me off. Him getting on the high horse about how great streaming services are and how lame collecting cd's just made it pissyer!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 am 

The things I'm willing to endure, to save $20!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
The things I'm willing to endure, to save $20!

Hey, holding every dollar hostage - it's the Canadian way!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 pm 

New Neil Young release looks somehow familiar...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next