Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 pm 

With the exciting release of the Halloween 77 box set, could there be a chance that the Beat The Boots series might get a USB stick treatment? Especially Beat The Boots Volume 3 which hasn't been available for some time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 am 

Gee, I would hope this is pretty far down the list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm 

same, give me vinyl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 pm 

Guys I'm a mega fan of Vinyl myself but the honest truth is that 24bit 96KHz or higher sampling, outperforms Vinyl hands down.

Also Beat The Boots Volume 3 was never given a vinyl release to the best of my knowledge, it was available for a short while as a download only set.

Anyway, each and to there own and who knows, maybe a vinyl release is possible with the recent Vinyl resurgence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 am 

I'd be happy with just a downloadable release of the BtB albums. I wouldn't pay top dollar for it though, especially considering the questionable sound quality of several of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm 

All of the material on all three BTB releases can be found VERY easily elsewhere on the net, usually in much better quality. BTB III was only ever available as a lousy mp3 download.

I would hope that the ZFT would be working on releasing pristine, previously unheard recordings before trying to peddle crappy sounding old bootlegs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Guys I'm a mega fan of Vinyl myself but the honest truth is that 24bit 96KHz or higher sampling, outperforms Vinyl hands down.

As a listener, in any case you don't need more, than 48 KHz. But if we're talking about muddy, low-quality bootlegs, MP3 is probably more than enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 am 

brunofulax wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

As a listener, in any case you don't need more, than 48 KHz. But if we're talking about muddy, low-quality bootlegs, MP3 is probably more than enough.

I suppose for some systems and depending on the source. However I'd argue that with master tapes it would have been ace to go to at least 96KHz. Perhaps it's more classical music that benefits but I have to say, I for one have noted a difference between a 48KHz audio DVD and a Bluray 96KHz or 192KHz sampled performance of a symphony for example. Fear not, brunofulax is correct in that at 24bit 48KHz all details will be there across the audible frequency range, the main difference is a compression of the dynamic range.

That said, I wouldn't part with my Frank Zappa audio DVD's. The quality is exceptional and those are 48KHz. What matters most is that it's good music and that's exactly what Frank Zappa always aimed to deliver.

In this case I am guessing the main issue was compatibility for the various majority players. That's probably the main choice for the slightly lower sampling frequency. There's a lot of data to sample and they wanted to limit the required disk space for sampling that data as much as possible without sacrificing the audio to any great extent perhaps. That said with today's USB stick sizes, I'm still convinced a 96KHz release at least would not have been an issue even for 6 complete Zappa concerts like with the Halloween 77 release.

For Beat The Boots, perhaps not, but then perhaps as Frank had actual source tapes for the concerts he put into that collection, perhaps a re-mastering could see the ultimate release of these releases and put an end to the whinging about the quality of the original releases.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:53 pm 

I just wish they'd release full shows from all years and versions of the band.... I've said before... give the tapes to recording schools to check mixes, then have them mastered and available for download!

Give up the cheezy boxes and crap!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm 

Just wandered over to the site... It has the BTBIII stuff listed, and as an Mp3 download, but no place to download.... (and why bother putting a bootleg quality release on Mp3 which is the worst possible format to release something)

http://www.zappa.com/music/beat-the-boots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 pm 

^^^Some of us like the cheesy boxes and crap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:17 pm 

KUIII wrote:

yeah....but some of it has been REALLY cheezy!! I just want music...didn't someone once say: "Music is the best!" ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:51 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:
KUIII wrote:

yeah....but some of it has been REALLY cheezy!! I just want music...didn't someone once say: "Music is the best!" ?

I support the idea of just having the music available without all the doo dads too. 8)

But I also like having other kinds of art being part of the whole product (album art, liner notes, Halloween costumes, berets, etc.). I think you could argue that those things are part of the Project/Object even if Frank didn’t put it together. This could extend to posters, books, documentaries, my posting on this forum, your posting on this forum, some kid (or middle aged man) trying to learn a FZ guitar riff in his lonely teenage room, and on and on and so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm 

brunofulax wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Everyone's ears are different. We all hear things differently. There are factors. The honest truth is that there is no honest truth.