Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:02 am 

I was all set to get this album set .....then my wife lost her job and I backed out ,last minute. Is this the "bee's balls" ,or is it "sorta OK"....according to you "the fans" ?

I am really referring to the "bonus stuff" and the etching.....plus that Libretto (which I'm not too sure I've ever seen in full?).

I'm looking at this as the purchase of an item I've bought countless times over.......and yet I am drooling at the prospect. But with the future being none to certain.....well, I guess you know where I'm going with this.....please help me make a decision . Thanks , in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm 

Has it even been released yet? Amazon seemed to move it from "pre-order" status directly to "temporarily out of stock"; now they have an October 14 in-stock date.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Let's face the cold hard truth. This is a great release for Zappa fans, old and new alike, but it is not essential if you have another form of it. My two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm 

The Complete Libretto

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/docs/002 ... Y_FREE.htm

I have vinyl rips of both the mono and stereo versions of "Absolutely Free."...
So, I think I'll pass on this release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm 

BTW, it is not the first time it's been released in vinyl since the 60s, as it has been claimed. It was reissued in the Old Masters Box...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm 

Thanks for libretto link! I guess I never saw this before. So, it's number one reason I may want it. BUT......and it's a big one.....what are the rare bonus tracks like? Especially of interest to me are the two radio commercials.....and the "quoted" track(which I'd bet is spoken word......but how long of a cut?).

By the way it IS out now. But Amazon sold out before they even shipped all pre-orders (the pricks).....or I would have had a copy before my wife lost her job. :x I could not wait any longer ,and had to cancel out of the pre-order. I DID see it for sale in local indie LP shops! So it is around AND on sale too.

Thanks for all comments and info so far....anyone have more to add? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm 

You have seen that, haven't you?
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/zappacast-episode-33-happy-50th-absolutely-free_115376

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:00 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Yeah.....I've skimmed through it. But does the commercial in the podcast mean that the LP's commercial is 2017 vintage('cause one bit is new ,and a few seconds are old vintage),.....or of the LP release's era? It's a nice podcast,but it confuses me a little.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm 

haven't seen it or heard it. I'd like to hear the extra bits someday. But the package is too expensive for me.
:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
haven't seen it or heard it. I'd like to hear the extra bits someday. But the package is too expensive for me.
:cry:

Yes.....more or less ,my story too. That's why I'm asking for any hype on the bonus tracks. It seems the truly rare cuts are the two commercials, and that "quoted" (glutton for punishment) track. If the commercials are from the 1960's then I'd like to hear them. The other track had better be a killer......or it's a bit of a bust for me, especially at over $30.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am 

I picked up the 50th anniversary Absolutely Free vinyl set yesterday at a local record store. I am a proponent of vinyl, and the clarity, warmth, and depth of this release is very good. It's nice to have the full libretto, which puts to rest the original release date as 'around' May 26, 1967. Why Don'tcha Do Me Right and Big Leg Emma are in mono on side 3. America Drinks and Goes Home on side 3 is without the party atmosphere noise in the background, so the 'Mandy Tension/drink it up folks/nite all' dialogue at the end is clearer.

I was raised on the CD, so it's nice to hear the album in its proper sequence without WDDMR and BLE 'between' sides 1 and 2.

Thanks for releasing this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am 

Run_Home_Slow wrote:
I picked up the 50th anniversary Absolutely Free vinyl set yesterday at a local record store. I am a proponent of vinyl, and the clarity, warmth, and depth of this release is very good. It's nice to have the full libretto, which puts to rest the original release date as 'around' May 26, 1967. Why Don'tcha Do Me Right and Big Leg Emma are in mono on side 3. America Drinks and Goes Home on side 3 is without the party atmosphere noise in the background, so the 'Mandy Tension/drink it up folks/nite all' dialogue at the end is clearer.

I was raised on the CD, so it's nice to hear the album in its proper sequence without WDDMR and BLE 'between' sides 1 and 2.

Thanks for releasing this!

Oh, Man! You're the man that can answer this........What are the commercials on side 3 and what is the Glutton For Punishment track?? That's what I'd like to know. Are the commercials from the 1960's?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am 

penguini wrote:

Oh, Man! You're the man that can answer this........What are the commercials on side 3 and what is the Glutton For Punishment track?? That's what I'd like to know. Are the commercials from the 1960's?

Penguini,
The two ads certainly sound authentic from the 60's as FZ speaks on both of them. The first ad references both the Freak Out! and Absolutely Free albums. Both have snippets from songs from Absolutely Free. The ads run 1:01 apiece.

Glutton for Punishment runs 24 seconds. This is not FZ speaking, but perhaps someone in a studio discussing lack of sound effects on Brown Shoes and America Drinks.

All of side 3 (eight tracks total) runs 19:34.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:13 pm 

Run_Home_Slow wrote:
Glutton for Punishment runs 24 seconds. This is not FZ speaking, but perhaps someone in a studio discussing lack of sound effects on Brown Shoes and America Drinks.

So I was right not to get excited about the prospect of a previously unheard MOI nugget from the '60s! :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 pm 

Run_Home_Slow wrote:
penguini wrote:

Penguini,
The two ads certainly sound authentic from the 60's as FZ speaks on both of them. The first ad references both the Freak Out! and Absolutely Free albums. Both have snippets from songs from Absolutely Free. The ads run 1:01 apiece.

All of side 3 (eight tracks total) runs 19:34.

Hope this helps.

Yes...yes,yes! This is exactly what we needed! Thanks. I guess the booklet is the BIG deal here? But those commercials are a nice thing too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:26 pm 

I was on the fence about this release but very glad I pulled the trigger. It sounds fantastic.