Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am 

WOW. An almost 11min unreleased Frank Zappa improvisation.

Thankfully I managed to snap a copy from a seller in the UK(will arrive at the end of the month.) Look forward to hearing this one. The 'Little Dots' album was superb, so nice to have a bit more of that album and in fantastic glorious Vinyl.

ROCK ON!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Unobscured version of cover art:

Cool cover :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 am 

Just checking out the RSD page to make a want list before heading out. I notice that the Lumpy Gravy 10" is not listed. Was it cancelled? Any of you east-coast guys seeing it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Just checking out the RSD page to make a want list before heading out. I notice that the Lumpy Gravy 10" is not listed. Was it cancelled? Any of you east-coast guys seeing it?

Yes,.....this was cancelled (they say "delayed") .....but to me it was cancelled. I was SOOO VERY excited to be getting this today.....went to my shop and was told it was cancelled until 2018!! DAMN! I'm guessing that the pressing was delayed. But with all the financial troubles I'm going through....well, it felt like thee last Zappa LP I was going to get for a while.....AND an important piece of Frank's history to boot. It's going to feel like a very long wait for this one.....if I can even afford it at all when it does get released. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 am 

Bummer! Another disappointing Record Store Day. I had even worn (for the first time) my Zappa movie Kickstarter shirt for good luck. The good part for me was that hardly anyone bothered to show up--couldn't have been more than 10-12 customers, and I was third in line. The bad part is that hardly any of the records showed up, either, at least the ones I wanted. I came away with just two items from my list (and paid too much for both of them). Got the Albert Ayler/Don Cherry LP and the Procol Harum 10".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:03 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
Bummer! Another disappointing Record Store Day. I had even worn (for the first time) my Zappa movie Kickstarter shirt for good luck. The good part for me was that hardly anyone bothered to show up--couldn't have been more than 10-12 customers, and I was third in line. The bad part is that hardly any of the records showed up, either, at least the ones I wanted. I came away with just two items from my list (and paid too much for both of them). Got the Albert Ayler/Don Cherry LP and the Procol Harum 10".

Yeah....it was a bummer. The store owner kept following me around showing me other items he "thought" I might be interested in....but wasn't. HA! I got that RHINO Garage Band comp....and the UTOPIA out-takes EP. I saw the Procol Harum.....is that a very good one? I was interested.....but was a bit "short on cash". Albert Ayler/ Don Cherry? Man, I'd bet that's a great one!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm 

Yeah, the Ayler/Cherry was the only thing they had that I really, really wanted. I could have snagged the Muddy Waters LP, but didn't want to pay the asking price. The Procol live 10" was at the bottom of my want list. Their new album is not very good, but on this live disc they do the one really great song from it (plus one of the not so great ones) as well as a couple of early classics. I was really hoping to find the United States of America and the Ravi Shankar albums.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
Yeah, the Ayler/Cherry was the only thing they had that I really, really wanted. I could have snagged the Muddy Waters LP, but didn't want to pay the asking price. The Procol live 10" was at the bottom of my want list. Their new album is not very good, but on this live disc they do the one really great song from it (plus one of the not so great ones) as well as a couple of early classics. I was really hoping to find the United States of America and the Ravi Shankar albums.

Damn....both of your "wants" were right there at my store in Wilkes-barre PA! I even looked at the USA....but it was $30 and the sleeve is thin and the pressing seemed to be of average weight. But was it....I'm not sure? My cash was short and I went for my two things......."sigh"...

The Procol was up here too.....if it is still there I may buy it later. You seem to eye that new album the same way I did....and that would be the only reason I'd want that EP......better ,live cuts than the new LP. Thanks for the opinion. Stuff like this I've eyed with suspicion ....besides ,at "these prices" you have to be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm 

penguini wrote:
I even looked at the USA....but it was $30 and the sleeve is thin and the pressing seemed to be of average weight.

I checked the Sundazed website and was able to order the USA album directly. (I also checked the Muddy Waters and the Sun Ra 3-LP but they were both listed as "out of stock.") They are also still selling those Captain Beefheart singles they did for RSD years ago!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

A record store owner told me she got an email saying that the release was pulled and that they may release it for the spring RSD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 am 

Looking forward to it. An unreleased part of Lumpy Gravy. That goes to the top of my list as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

^^ We should be able to pick this up tomorrow.

Also, if you live in Pennsylvania, you may be able to meet Cal Schenkel at noon at Gold Millions Records:

https://recordstoreday.com/Event/61870

Cal Schenkel was art engineer for Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention, designed a motherload of FZ album covers, and spent time living with Zappa at the infamous log cabin in Laurel Canyon. "One day, when no one was home but me, I heard a knock and looked out the window and it was Grace Slick at the door. Pink Floyd came by, and I photographed a basement jam with Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithful, Captain Beefheart and Frank (Zappa) and the Mothers". Cal will be selling signed and personalized artwerks in all price ranges, from only $20!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:31 pm 

DISAF@%KINGPPOINTING!

Neither of the TWO participating WRD record stores in Wellington did not receive the Lumpy Gravy Primordial disc :cry: :( :) :D
I'm over it.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:53 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
DISAF@%KINGPPOINTING!

Neither of the TWO participating WRD record stores in Wellington did not receive the Lumpy Gravy Primordial disc :cry: :( :) :D

Bummer. Hope you can get it from alternate sources without paying an arm and a leg.

My little local shop had a much bigger crowd than usual--couldn't believe there were 37 ahead of me in line--and it was a real feeding frenzy at the special release bins. Someone grabbed up the Lumpy Gravy Primordial right out from under my nose. Fortunately I had my eye on a person who was shuffling a bunch of LPs including the Zappa on the back counter--one of those assholes who just grab up everything and decide later what they're actually going to buy--and spotted her putting the Zappa back, so I swooped in and snagged it. Also got the Popol Vuh and Jethro Tull releases, but as usual, would have bought more if only I could have gotten my hands on everything I wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:53 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm 

^^^ Wha??? Clear vinyl? :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:51 pm 

^^^^^ Excellent! ^^^^^

All is not lost, I have a friend in the hell hole that is Auckland City that hit the main record store up there, I'm still waiting to hear how she got on.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:25 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

What's that!?! Clear ,non-color vinyl for the "later" numbers? Mine is an earlier number and is burgundy and black swirliness(not too much "black" in it ...really)....have not listened yet. Now that I see some of you lacking in finding it ....I wish I woulda nabbed the one other copy I saw at my local shop just to sell to yous people (at a normal price). Damn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 pm 

no, my copy isn't clear vinyl, scanner musta freaked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm 

The record store was busy and I was able to get the only copy they had... #0469 on burgundy vinyl.

Side 1 runs 11:15:
Tableaux
I Sink Trap
II Gum Joy
III Up & Down
IV Local Butcher

Side 2 runs 11:37
Tableaux
V Gypsy Airs
VI Hunchy Punchy
VII Foamy Soaky
VIII Let's Eat Out
IX Teen-Age Grand Finale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm 

I was fortunate enough to secure #1053.
I thought it was going to be an instrumental only mix of Lumpy Gravy. It's not (I'm an idiot). Its an orchestral only mix, which doesn't include some of my favorite Lumpy Gravy moments. This record gives me renewed appreciation for "...This should be a dynamite show."
Also, my record player can't play in 45 rpm... Eeeek!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am 

I managed to grab a copy here in France. It's an EU pressing and it doesn't have a number.
(but it's still a burgundy vinyl ;) ).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm 

Picked up a copy at Generation Records in NYC, they have a good 8 copies or so as of 2pm on Monday 4/23. Nice slab of wax, can't wait to get it on my turntable tonight! Also it's 12" not 10" as previously mentioned prior to release, if that matters to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
DISAF@%KINGPPOINTING!

I'm over it.....

Come bye my place and I'll play it for you... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 am 

Picked up LGP, Nazz Fungo Bat Acetates, Neil Young Tonight's the Night Live and the Led Zeppelin 45