Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I'm looking forward to see what comes out of these shows. I love the '77 band but I hope it's a tight production and edited so there isn't too many duplicates. I don't mind a few Black Napkins though.
As for the liner notes. I'm looking forward to reading them.

I want it all and I think that's what we're going to get. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 am 

KUIII wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
I'm looking forward to see what comes out of these shows. I love the '77 band but I hope it's a tight production and edited so there isn't too many duplicates. I don't mind a few Black Napkins though.
As for the liner notes. I'm looking forward to reading them.

I want it all and I think that's what we're going to get. :mrgreen:

Probably. I'll see what it comes out as. It'll probably be pretty pricey and I'm still picking up Zappa albums that were released in his lifetime so this is way down on the list. Though I am interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am 

bracton wrote:
Was October 31 the only night on film?

No, a lot of the film is from October 30 (the poodle lecture, the "I Have Been In You" monologue, parts of King Kong and Disco Boy) and there is also material from at least one of the October 29 shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:23 pm 

polydigm wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
What the fuck is he talking about ? The only critique on this thread is Fred's ...
What makes you think he's talking about this thread?
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Point taken ! Where is he seeing all this "Negativity" then? Is it in reference to the family situation or are there lots people pissing on the idea of a halloween box set ?
I don't think it's either. I'm not sure he'd be too bothered about comments about the item itself. I think he is bothered by the current internecine difficulties, but my guess about the nastiness is, the negative attitude of several FZ fans to him leaving FZ for Bowie. Now, that is ancient history and FZ may be gone, but he's not and he has to live with any comments still being made about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I really like Adrian and his music in all it's manifestations but judging by his comments on facebook he seems to be an overly sensitive soul (maybe that's what makes him a great artist). He's still whining about getting kicked out of NIN and being passed over for the new edition of King Crimson and that stuff happened four years ago!
Belew was drawn into saying something about those two things when someone made a comment about everything having been fantastic for him and he just gave those two points as examples that it hadn't been perfect, but he then went on to put it in perspective. I'd hardly call it whining, unless I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I don't think it's either. I'm not sure he'd be too bothered about comments about the item itself. I think he is bothered by the current internecine difficulties, but my guess about the nastiness is, the negative attitude of several FZ fans to him leaving FZ for Bowie. Now, that is ancient history and FZ may be gone, but he's not and he has to live with any comments still being made about that.

Interesting Poly. I suppose the story of his leaving Zappa for Bowie, which came out massively on Facebook after DB's passing stirred up some comments. However, i'm surprised that someone who's been in the headlights for so long hasn't grown a protective layer.

I think it's great he's writing those notes, they should be a fun read.

....merci Poly :lol:

Last edited by The_Acadian_2 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
However, i'm surprised that someone who's been in the headlights for so long hasn't grown a protective layer.

Don't fergit you're dealing with a person who, after reading forum posts saying he ruined King Crimson, went the Pink Floyd "The Wall" route, and shaved off all his hair.

Last edited by just plain doug on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

polydigm wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I really like Adrian and his music in all it's manifestations but judging by his comments on facebook he seems to be an overly sensitive soul (maybe that's what makes him a great artist). He's still whining about getting kicked out of NIN and being passed over for the new edition of King Crimson and that stuff happened four years ago!
Belew was drawn into saying something about those two things when someone made a comment about everything having been fantastic for him and he just gave those two points as examples that it hadn't been perfect, but he then went on to put it in perspective. I'd hardly call it whining, unless I'm missing something.

Not to beat this to death but Adrian first posted something about some "great things not being so great". When a fan said that they had missed what wasn't so great Adrian responded with the NIN and KC issues. Small potatoes but Adrian keeps bringing those things up from time to time. He obviously has had a hard time with it. I like Adrian a lot and he still has a lot of great music in him I'm sure, so get on with it boy! Actually, I think he has a new project with Stewart Copeland coming out this year. That sounds pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Not to beat this to death but Adrian first posted something about some "great things not being so great". When a fan said that they had missed what wasn't so great Adrian responded with the NIN and KC issues. Small potatoes but Adrian keeps bringing those things up from time to time. He obviously has had a hard time with it. I like Adrian a lot and he still has a lot of great music in him I'm sure, so get on with it boy!
Like Belew himself said, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm not sure he's any less level headed than any of his fans or anyone here.

I think another comment, aside from the FZ/Bowie thing itself, that irked him, was that without FZ, Belew wouldn't have been the big deal he is now, whereas Steve Vai would have been. That's a pretty big claim for anyone to be making about the quirks of fate, is very subjective in its comparison of two individuals and is pretty much full of shit. I really like a lot of Belew's work, whereas Steve Vai's does very little for me. What effect would my personal taste have had on either of their careers?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm 

^^ I speculated that neither would have been on our radar without FZ.

Who else would have pulled Belew out of Sweetheart? He said he was on the verge of quitting music when FZ showed up.

I like Belew. He has spent an awful lot of his career trying to make his guitar sound like some other instrument. I always wonder why he chose guitar. Keyboard is so much easier to learn. All laid out in black and white.

Vai was a technician. I don't think of him as a musician. No, I have not heard him lately.

---
edited 'cause it was too long

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm 

Quote:
This is what I was afraid of with Ahmet in charge. He's gonna go total overkill with live FZ releases, ala Grateful Dead

Well, this is just what I hope will happen. I'd love nothing more than a bunch of live releases like the Dead has.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm 

As I get older, I have less time to spend, when the hell will I have time to listen to 18 hours from those shows?

I may have to miss this one - we'll see

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 pm 

I'm thinking Adrian got caught in the Dweezil vs Ahmet quandary. Maybe the negativity is that some folks gave him shit about helping Ahmet out with the project.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I'm thinking Adrian got caught in the Dweezil vs Ahmet quandary. Maybe the negativity is that some folks gave him shit about helping Ahmet out with the project.

That makes sense. Hopefully the '77 Halloween set will be available digitally, I would at least consider obtaining it in that format.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:43 pm 

Boring

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm 

Well, speaking for myself, I'm pretty fucking excited to see that the run of shows that comprise "Baby Snakes" will be getting the full-on release treatment.

I wonder if there is a lot of outtake video footage?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:23 pm 

FZ was renowned for keeping everything.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 am 

Well...if the ZFT is going to start releasing runs of shows.

OZ 73 must be the next priority.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 pm 

Was thinking over the weekend; I'll have the original Baby Snakes album, the digital download of Baby Snakes, and now the complete run of concerts from that Halloween. Maybe a little more than I needed but "no biggie" as Moon would say.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 am 

As the High School kid who attempted to hand Frank a US Bong (The Tower of Power), I'm looking forward to picking this set up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 am 

How does the ZFT feel about being distributed by a company that also distributes bootlegs and in particular one that is trying to pip them at the post.

Live at the Palladium New York Halloween 1977

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
How does the ZFT feel about being distributed by a company that also distributes bootlegs and in particular one that is trying to pip them at the post.

I was aware of this since I've gotten 3 or 4 email ads trying to sell Zappa bootlegs from Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I was aware of this since I've gotten 3 or 4 email ads trying to sell Zappa bootlegs from Amazon.
I got really annoyed with those email ads and turned them off a while ago, but I remember the odd Zappa bootleg being touted. I've also noticed lately that the number of Zappa bootlegs on Amazon is proliferating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:29 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Yep, there's that and "Halloween In The Big Apple". Something told me do not buy those, and I'm glad I didn't now. The only boots I bought recently were "Puttin On The Ritz"(just can't wait for the official one), Dutch Courage, Providence 4/26/75, Wollman Rink August '68, & Vancouver Workout 10-1-75. I stopped with those. It seems the ZFT is on a better pace now to get various shows from all eras released on CD.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:12 pm 

The release on Amazon is from a King Biscuit radio broadcast edited by FZ from a few shows of this Halloween run. It is very easy to find without paying for a CD, and worth hearing, but of course a complete box set of the six shows will be quite different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next