Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Operations manual? What's that? :shock:

That's the booklet/pamphlet that you left in the box that went in the trash KU :mrgreen:

That will all work. Oh God, all this talk may drive me toward another foolish Zappa purchase.
And I AM an accountant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Operations manual? What's that? :shock:

That's the booklet/pamphlet that you left in the box that went in the trash KU :mrgreen:

That will all work. Oh God, all this talk may drive me toward another foolish Zappa purchase.
And I AM an accountant.

Go on tweez', you know you want it, you need it, you can't live with out it..... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 am 

Been listening to the "Hammersmith Odeon" release as a warm-up. Same band line-up with pretty much the same setlist.

I wonder how many of the 5000 costume box sets are left? Seems this would sell out pretty quickly. A hundred bucks for six shows is a great deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am 

The Costume Box is nw available for preorder on Amazon USA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Pre-Ordered NZ$56.65.....now we wait for the indicated October 30th delivery

Delivery has been pushed out to: November 2nd - 7th

Amazon.ca says Oct. 20 for the costume box.
(yeah....pre-ordered. I am soooooo weak!)

Now, it says Oct. 23.
The delays begin....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 am 

In my inbox at 11:40pm yesterday 17/10/2017:

ZappaCast Episode 34 (A Halloween Treat with Thomas Nordegg & Joe Travers!)

Check out this very special episode of the ZappaCast Podcast celebrating ZAPPAWEEN, with a most special show, featuring an interview with Zappa road crew personage extraordinaire, Thomas Nordegg! Thomas sits down for a wide-ranging interview covering his time with FZ. Plus, Vaultmeister Joe Travers stops by to talk about the forthcoming Halloween 77 box set, and treat you to a sneak preview of tracks! This box set includes ALL SIX SHOWS from the infamous Halloween 1977 run at the Palladium in New York City, from which came the movie and album Baby Snakes!

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/za ... egg_115952

Halloween 77 is out on October 20.

Pre-order the box set here: https://ume.lnk.to/ZappaHalloweenBoxset
Pre-order the 3CD here: https://ume.lnk.to/ZappaHalloweenCD

a little late for the weak Zappa obsessives among us

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 am 

Nice.
Ordered the Box....only 68 euros but 44 bucks shipping to get a very light weight package to france.....

I'll be listening to the Zappacast tomorrow while I drive down to Biarritz.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm 

The samples from this box they included throughout that Zappacast sound amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 pm 

To think that was just a podcast so the actual source files direct from the stick will be pretty sweet indeed.

Just a reminder to international folks that the Amazon.com site is the better method for purchasing your Halloween 77 box set. There just better for postage cost. I noted a fellow fan just paid 44Euro for postage. I'm sure that would be a lot better from Amazon.

All that said, no matter how you obtain a set, I'm sure it will be worth it. As mentioned, the Podcast snippets declare excellence to be found(considering how good it sounded through a limited podcast transmission this is speaking volumes about the recordings.) and I'm really excited that I'll be able to listen to 6 complete Zappa concerts. Surprisingly the set lists look very similar which is unusual for Frank who declared that doing that would be no different from 'punching the clock,' but it's no doubt the solos and improvisations along with different dialogue each night that will keep each show unique.

Being an Adrian Belew fan, these are going to be extra special and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Mr Belew grabs this set for the pure joy of revisiting some of his great past performances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 pm 

Shipping Friday!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 am 

Nice to hear T.Nordegg on the Podcast, however would have been much better if we could have heard him clearly. And I was hoping on some poop about franks guitars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:05 pm 

Midnight UK time, New box set album has just appeared on spotify, 158 songs and clocking in at 15 hours and 46 minutes looks like I wont be going to sleep tonight :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:41 am 

mistrijah wrote:
Midnight UK time, New box set album has just appeared on spotify, 158 songs and clocking in at 15 hours and 46 minutes looks like I wont be going to sleep tonight :-)

Yeah, looks like the physical products have been delayed by a week or so throughout Europe. But you can download right now individual tracks and complete shows or, as you say, stream the whole lot - on Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, Amazon Digital, Deezer, etc.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 am 

Sounds good! I'm halfway through the first show. :D

Killer guitar solos in Torture, Tiny Lights, Conehead and Wild Love (Bowling On Charen)!

A little annoying though, Wild Love's intro is at the end of the Lather track. Since that part returns at the end of Wild Love, it's obviously a part of WL and not Lather.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Pre-Ordered NZ$56.65.....now we wait for the indicated October 30th delivery

Delivery has been pushed out to: November 2nd - 7th

Amazon.ca says Oct. 20 for the costume box.
(yeah....pre-ordered. I am soooooo weak!)

just plain doug wrote:
Now, it says Oct. 23.
The delays begin....

O.K., now we're up to November 3.
No trick or treating, wearing it, this year! :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:50 am 

While the box set is delayed, Amazon is shipping the CD. My copy is supposed to arrive today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am 

Amazon have indicated that Halloween 77 [3 CD] will reach NZ on November the 7th :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am 

Listening via streams.

It's a great release! Some essential music throughout. For my tastes, there is enough instrumentals/jams/solos on each show, to necessitate getting the whole run.

Sounds fine too.

Bozzio is incredible throughout.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Just a reminder to international folks that the Amazon.com site is the better method for purchasing your Halloween 77 box set. There just better for postage cost. I noted a fellow fan just paid 44Euro for postage. I'm sure that would be a lot better from Amazon.

Thanks. Unfortunately trade restrictions between US and Europe prevent us Europeans to take advantage of this. With such a relatively expensive product you will have to pay VAT, customs and fees, easily eating up the nominal advantage :twisted:

But free trade is not so modern these days . . .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 am 

HJ wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Thanks. Unfortunately trade restrictions between US and Europe prevent us Europeans to take advantage of this. With such a relatively expensive product you will have to pay VAT, customs and fees, easily eating up the nominal advantage :twisted:

But free trade is not so modern these days . . .

I made the expensive mistake of ordering the box set via Zappa.com/Hi Fi 24/7 the freight alone was more than the total price of Halloween 77 [3 CD] including freight from Amazon :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm 

Got the 3CD yesterday. Not time to listen till next week. Getting the other five shows as downloads. Decided I didn't need the stick or the mask. Unfortunately not able to take time with any of it till midweek. I will hear your reviews and the podcast tells me I will love it all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 pm 

Trivia question: What is the house music heard after "Black Napkins" on the Halloween show? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 am 

Better listen to this one to answer that trivia question. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TEFsL-S4o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 pm 

Just went w/ the 3CD set, playing it a 2nd time now, sounds great. I just don't need 6 shows worth on a USB stick, or a ltd box w/ a lame costume.
I'll get the bad out of the way first:

The packaging: I don't mind digipaks, as long as they have plastic trays glued inside to hold the CDs. I fucking HATE the cheap-ass all-cardboard digipaks where you have to slip the discs in trying not to scuff them. The freaking booklet doesn't even fit in all they way besides. Nice inner photos & Belew notes though. Meat Light & Hammersmith had good packaging. This & Chicago '78 both were done on the cheap. I hope they keep the Road Tapes and any future "Joe's -age" releases as standard jewel cases.

The "bonus" tracks :?: more like live penalty tracks :shock:
I'll take a live King Kong any day, and that version from the movie cracks me up. However the "Halloween Treat w/ Nordegg" is a piece of shit. Seriously? - audio of Peter Wolf & Thomas doing card tricks on stage, while the rhythm section is barely doing anything? No one outside of the zappateers crowd needed to hear this. If there's filmage of it, it should've been a free youtube clip. I didn't need another 8 minutes of pre-Black Page audience participation either. Totally boring for audio. I wish the bonus tracks would have been selected guitar solos from the other shows instead.

Pros:
The mix is excellent on this, and the setlist is great, nice to hear after compared to what I've only known from the picture disc sdtk. Always boggled my mind why Frank and/or Rykodisc didn't expand the BS sdtk CD to include at least the awesome encores of Camarillo/Muffin/SanBerdino/Black Napkins.

Conehead(instr), & Wild Love are absolute barnburners :shock: Wild Love could have went on another 30 minutes. Overall glad to have this complete Halloween night show as a 3 CD set, having never bothered with any soundboards/boots from this run of shows.

Can't wait for the news on the December release.

ps. - What's the origin of the "He's Eating" joke? Something Frank made up or from pop culture of the day? It's briefly in the movie, but hearing the full show it seems every band member who solos has to go through this routine. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
ps. - What's the origin of the "He's Eating" joke? Something Frank made up or from pop culture of the day? It's briefly in the movie, but hearing the full show it seems every band member who solos has to go through this routine. :lol:

It's a variant of a line from the Uncle Meat movie that FZ keeps making Phyllis Altenhaus say.

"You know what I used to do? I used to watch him eat. And while he was eating, I would ask him, what are you doing...And he would say, I'm using the chicken to measure it. What did he mean by that?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next