Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 200 Motels Soundtrack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:55 am 

Fellow fans,
I'm keen to get the soundtrack to 200 Motels. I've already got the new version performed by the Disney orchestra on the way but I'd really like to get a copy of the original soundtrack.

What I'm wondering is. Is the vinyl the best source? Is there a decent CD release?

I ask because as far as I'm aware it's not available from ZFT due to copyright with the film. (The film is very interesting and is now available on DVD(it may ship in a Bluray case like mine did for some reason, but it's a DVD). Probably the best version of the film we'll ever see.

Something that I found very interesting was yet another link between Frank Zappa and another musicians I really enjoy. That would be the classical guitarist John Williams(not to be confused with the composer of many film scores). It turns out John Williams was the person who arranged, supervised and played with the classical guitar ensemble on the album. Amazing.

So at the moment, my money is on the vinyl release which shipped in a double vinyl set. I'm not aware of any new releases for the original soundtrack at this stage and I'm not aware that the CD version has anything extra that the vinyl does but please do correct me if I am mistaken.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 am 

"The Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack" was released by Ryko in 1997, I believe? It's got to be out of print by now.
It featured the soundtrack, radio spots, and a couple of movie previews in QuickTime, a reproduction of the poster that
was included in the original LPs, and a very cool booklet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:52 pm 

the 8-track can't be beat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:36 pm 

Who the he'll is on that tape?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 pm 

duchamp wrote:

John Sebastian and Mike Carrabello?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:33 pm 

Good guess. No explanation why they would be on the tape though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:00 pm 

duchamp wrote:

My guess is they just wanted some stereotypical rock and roll weirdness and that was some stock graphic they had. Why they didn't use the actual cover art is beyond me. Since it was MGM and not Frank's regular label maybe they just didn't care.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the 8-track can't be beat

I had a US release 8-track that was gray and had the Album cover art. It was UA.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 am 

Is it a pirate copy? Or did MGM actually release that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:04 pm 

I have an original vinyl release and it includes both the poster and the cool booklet. I can remember when Ryko released the double CD back in 1997 and in a way I kind of wish I bought it but to be honest the vinyl sounds great. A bit muddy in parts and even a bit tinny in parts but overall pretty damn good.
Only complaint that I have is about my particular copy. The second record is thick vinyl and the first record is a bit flimsy. The record numbers all match though so it's strange. They've obviously been swopped at some point. Anyway, sides 1 and 2 sound a bit thin and tinny whereas side 3, in particular sounds excellent. Very thick warm, and bright sounding.

I don't know if other people with the vinyl have noticed the sound differences?
A side note, and this will apply to all versions obviously, is that one of the tracks that Ruth plays the drums on is slightly out of sync. Can't remember which piece it is now but I'm sure it's on side 1.

The best sounding tracks for my are Centreville, I'm stealing the towels, Dental Hygiene Dilemma, Does this kind of life look interesting to you and Daddy, Daddy, Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:53 pm 

vivalapsych wrote:

There was a legit 8-track release from UA, but this version is a pirate. Cheap pirated 8-tracks were rampant in the '70s. Note the "Ampax" brand, evidently a twist on Ampex.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:01 pm 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frank-Zappa-200-Motels-Original-Soundtrack-1999-/172342147384?hash=item2820647938:m:mrjITpFG9oNW-7X1NkJi93w

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:41 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:

There was a legit 8-track release from UA, but this version is a pirate. Cheap pirated 8-tracks were rampant in the '70s. Note the "Ampax" brand, evidently a twist on Ampex.

Ha ha ..I didn't catch that!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:07 am 

vivalapsych wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:

Ha ha ..I didn't catch that!

Those are the ones you found at flea markets, gas stations and convenience stores in the 70's. And they only seemed to work if you wedged in a book of matches between the player and the cartridge.