Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 am 

brainpang wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
moggio wrote:
You fucked up. The back cover lists 5 songs but 2 of those songs have Parts 1 & 2. There are thus 7 tracks on the CD. Track 3 in your example is Part 2 of Little Dots.

Oops, I'm an idiot. :oops: :) Guess I just looked at the titles quick and didn't notice the title track was indexed into two tracks. Love this album, but I think Imaginary Diseases is slightly better.

Nah, it is messed up numbering.
I do like how it sez: produced by Ahmet and then under special thanks Ahmet gets a shout out.

Its kind of like those people who like their own posts on FB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
Its kind of like those people who like their own posts on FB.

like that guy who thinks he was censored? ha ha!
for being a creep stalker?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:16 pm 

Mine arrived before my departure date. Very interesting so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 pm 

So excited. I'm still trying to track down a lot of the new releases. Got the entire classic catalogue but there's so much unreleased goodness in most of these new releases I'm spell bound.

Looking forward to reading about what fellow fans are finding with this latest treasure trove of releases. So far Quadiophiliac is the most amazing of the new releases for me, simply stunning.

I'm trying to get my hands on the 4CD version of the MOFO project as well. Please share a source if you know where I can obtain a copy. (For the record, why did they release a 2CD version??? No fan who wants new Zappa material is going to want half of a release, surely? Or does the 2CD version have the entire 4CD's on 2CD's??? Please enlighten me.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:48 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
So excited. I'm still trying to track down a lot of the new releases. Got the entire classic catalogue but there's so much unreleased goodness in most of these new releases I'm spell bound.

Looking forward to reading about what fellow fans are finding with this latest treasure trove of releases. So far Quadiophiliac is the most amazing of the new releases for me, simply stunning.

I'm trying to get my hands on the 4CD version of the MOFO project as well. Please share a source if you know where I can obtain a copy. (For the record, why did they release a 2CD version??? No fan who wants new Zappa material is going to want half of a release, surely? Or does the 2CD version have the entire 4CD's on 2CD's??? Please enlighten me.)

I think that MOFO 2 disc non deluxe version disc 2 has 7 tracks that don't appear on the MOFO 4 disc deluxe version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_MOFO_ ... CD_version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_MOFO_ ... CD_version

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I think that MOFO 2 disc non deluxe version disc 2 has 7 tracks that don't appear on the MOFO 4 disc deluxe version

topic covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20451

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:05 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
(For the record, why did they release a 2CD version??? No fan who wants new Zappa material is going to want half of a release, surely? Or does the 2CD version have the entire 4CD's on 2CD's??? Please enlighten me.)

I bought the 2CD. The 4CD is more than I want.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I think that MOFO 2 disc non deluxe version disc 2 has 7 tracks that don't appear on the MOFO 4 disc deluxe version.

The MoFo Project/Object - Disc 2 - Sessions
(tracks unique to this cd in bold)
approximately 23 minutes of unique material

01) Trouble Every Day (Basic Tracks) (7:07)
02) Who Are The Brain Police? (Mono Single Mix) (3:24)
03) I Ain't Got No Heart (Basic Tracks, Stereo) (2:34)
04) You Didn't Try To Call Me (Basic Tracks, Stereo) (2:58)
05) How Could I Be Such A Fool (Mono Single Mix) (2:11)
06) Any Way The Wind Blows (Unreleased 1987 Remix) (2:51)
07) Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder (Vocal Overdub Take 2) (3:47)
08) Motherly Love (Vocal Overdub Master Takes) (3:09)
09) "Tom Wilson" (Interview Segment) (0:33)
10) "My Pet Theory" (Interview Segment) (2:18)
11) Hungry Freaks, Daddy (Basic Tracks) (3:26)
12) Help, I'm A Rock (1970 FZ Remix) (4:43)
13) It Can't Happen Here (1970 FZ Remix) (3:58)
14) Freak Out Drum Track w/Timp. & Lion (4:04)
15) Watts Riot Demo/Fillmore Sequence (2:07)
16) Freak Out Zilofone (3:00)
17) "Low Budget Rock & Roll Band" (FZ Addressing Studio Musicians) (2:42)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:20 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:36 pm 

If Chicago '78 is indicative of what's in the vault I hope we're going to see a flood of releases. The more I listen to it, the more blown away I am. Though not a "complete concert" it explains why so many keep asking those with control of the tapes to RELEASE FULL CONCERTS! Philadelphia, Buffalo, Chicago . . . the Halloween concerts!!! Keep them coming!

It reminds me of Steve Vai's comment in the liner notes for ID, "He built a whole vault in his front yard and buried treasures like this one . . . What the fuck, Frank?"

What the fuck, ZFT? Start cranking them out! I hope the Zappa siblings work out their differences, but really I don't care. I want the music!

Post subject: deni_kid@yahoo.com
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:54 am 

If Meat Light is a fifth project object, what are the other four? I am only aware of mofo, lumoy money & greasy love songs :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:46 am 

The Crux Of The Biscuit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am 

thanks. crossed my mind, but didn't seem right :mrgreen:

any official statement why the fuck did they put part 4 on disc 3 instead of disc 2?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:04 pm 

Flea wrote:
...why the fuck did they put part 4 on disc 3 instead of disc 2?
good point 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:17 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 am 

LITTLE DOTS

Truly a stunning new Zappa release. Who would have thought laying amidst the archives sits brand new Zappa compositions like this.

Worth the price just for the 2 tracks that form the title musical 'Little Dots'. It was wonderful to hear this new Zappa music and blew my mind that there's possibly more tracks like this sitting in the amazing vault archives waiting to be made available to the wanting ears of fellow Frank Zappa fans.

My only question on this release would be: Why did you never release this brilliant bit of music Mr Zappa?

So glad it's now available. Love the Grand Wazoo and having this new piece of music is like having brand new bonus tracks to the Grand Wazoo / Waka Jawaka period of Franks music.

Can't recommend it highly enough to fellow fans who love The Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka. An absolute must have gem of a release.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:43 am 

CHICAGO 78

It's a nice live recording, that's been brought to the digital medium in as anticipated quality you've come to expect from these vault releases.

I'd say it's much better than the 'Road Tapes' releases and a nice new concert but if your not a Zappa fanatic like this crazy fan, then not essential. You'll find most of this material was already released in live format while Mr Zappa was with us here on earth. (although you would miss out on something special by not grabbing it, please read below).

For those that do have to have anything released by the great Frank Zappa, you'll enjoy having a new live recording. I always do because it's the only way to experience some new live Frank Zappa and as always much appreciated.

Finally what you do get in new live recording releases are the terrific proof of Frank's continued commitment towards never doing the same show twice. There's new improvisations to be heard and interesting performances by the whole band is ensured.

Wonder what's next on the live recordings releases?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:49 am 

MEAT LIGHT

OK, now look, I'm certainly not complaining about the chance to listen to brand new never before released production nuggets of some of my favourite Frank Zappa recordings but please help me out here if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Firstly, yes there's some new material amidst this nice collection.

However is it worth the price? Personally I'm struggling to see the point in including a whole disc of material that most Frank Zappa fans already have??? Why make these collections more expensive than they really need to be. Couldn't you just release only the tracks containing material that fans will not already have???

It was the same for this fan with the Lumpy Money project(still to get a copy of the 4CD MOFO and the other 2 releases). Great new material but a whole plethora of material that fans like myself who grab everything and anything we can of Frank Zappa's musical works, already had. I'd prefer to see only the 'unreleased material' only appear on discs, which will reduce the number required and ultimately make the price point more acceptable.

I see were your going by having the original mix etc then the new material but most of us who will be buying a release like this, will already have it, so what's the point in making a release more expensive and costly to produce for Zappa than it really needs to be?

Anyway, thanks for all the new nuggets in this release and I hope this provides some food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
LITTLE DOTS

Truly a stunning new Zappa release. Who would have thought laying amidst the archives sits brand new Zappa compositions like this.

Worth the price just for the 2 tracks that form the title musical 'Little Dots'. It was wonderful to hear this new Zappa music and blew my mind that there's possibly more tracks like this sitting in the amazing vault archives waiting to be made available to the wanting ears of fellow Frank Zappa fans.

My only question on this release would be: Why did you never release this brilliant bit of music Mr Zappa?

So glad it's now available. Love the Grand Wazoo and having this new piece of music is like having brand new bonus tracks to the Grand Wazoo / Waka Jawaka period of Franks music.

Can't recommend it highly enough to fellow fans who love The Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka. An absolute must have gem of a release.

Get Imaginary Diseases if you haven't. It's the petit wazoo band from 1972.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:09 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
MEAT LIGHT ... please help me out here if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

... is it worth the price? Personally I'm struggling to see the point in including a whole disc of material that most Frank Zappa fans already have???
I assumed the point was that it was the original vinyl mix, which was not made available in the new Universal run of remasters. I would hate to think that it was held back so people would be more likely to buy this release.

I agree that there's not enough other material on here. I was hoping for a lot more background stuff like there is on MOFO. With Lumpy Money, I like the inclusion of FZ's 80s rework of Lumpy Money, although I know it's not to many people's taste.

Last edited by polydigm on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am 

I wonder why only Crux excludes the original album? I guess we should really view the other project/objects more as expanded versions of the original albums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
I wonder why only Crux excludes the original album?

I would guess because the 2012 CD matches the original vinyl mix, and deemed unnecessary. If they had included the original album sequence and stretched Crux out to a double-CD, there would be many here(myself included) complaining about it.

I have to sit down with Meat Light some more. Like what I've heard, just haven't played it a lot yet. I also like the layout/sequencing of MOFO & Lumpy Money better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I would guess because the 2012 CD matches the original vinyl mix, and deemed unnecessary. If they had included the original album sequence and stretched Crux out to a double-CD, there would be many here(myself included) complaining about it.

Still, since the others in the series have included alternate mixes that were released but are not currently available, it might have been cool if they had included a surround version of the quad mix of Apostrophe'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Still, since the others in the series have included alternate mixes that were released but are not currently available, it might have been cool if they had included a surround version of the quad mix of Apostrophe'.
Indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:34 am 

Finally received Little Dots. Well I couldn't get into the trombone solo's in Imaginary Deseases and cant get into these either. The rest is bitchen'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7