Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 am 

New 'best of' compilation coming from Universal, 16 September 2016

https://amzn.com/B01KGR18QQ

Hungry for Zappa? Get a full plate of Frank Zappa s tastiest music. Spanning three decades and 18 tracks, this compilation is a sampler platter for the curious and a buffet of favorites for the fans. From 'Trouble Every Day' off the 1966 Freak Out! album to 1987s 'Strictly Genteel' featuring the London Symphony Orchestra, Zappatite cooks up a feast of Frank Zappa s expansive work. Get a big helping of Frank Zappa on Zappatite.

1. I'm The Slime
2. Dirty Love
3. Dancing Fool
4. Trouble Every Day
5. Peaches En Regalia
6. Tell Me You Love Me
7. Bobby Brown Goes Down
8. You Are What You Is
9. Valley Girl
10. Joe's Garage
11. Cosmik Debris
12. Sofa No. 1
13. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
14. Titties & Beer
15. G-Spot Tornado
16. Cocaine Decisions
17. Zoot Allures
18. Strictly Genteel

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:45 am 
Banned

No thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:47 pm 

No one will be buying this. Pretty ridiculous for the ZFT to give this the green light after Gail's problems yrs ago with Ryko & the "Strictly Commercial" best of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:15 pm 

I really don't get the attitude to best-of albums. I have bought best-of/sampler albums for artists that I have not previously followed much to try them out. If I can't find anything much that I like, that'll be the last album I buy for that artist, or the sampler itself might be enough. Otherwise, I might go on to buy other albums by that artist. I obviously don't need an FZ best-of because I already own all of his albums. Somebody who knows nothing about FZ, but is curious, might be brought into the fold by buying a sampler album. What the hell is wrong with that? It's obviously not for people who are already serious FZ fans.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:28 pm 

Who exactly is this release marketed to? Bottom line is it is 2016 and millenials just don't buy compact discs. All of the potential newbie Zappa fans out there are listening to everything via spotify, Pandora, youtube, etc and could care less about sound quality and having a physical product. They feel entitled to everything that's available online and don't want to pay for anything, most certainly not by a dead artist with a dysfunctional family left in charge. It's sad but the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:12 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Who exactly is this release marketed to? Bottom line is it is 2016 and millenials just don't buy compact discs. All of the potential newbie Zappa fans out there are listening to everything via spotify, Pandora, youtube, etc and could care less about sound quality and having a physical product. They feel entitled to everything that's available online and don't want to pay for anything, most certainly not by a dead artist with a dysfunctional family left in charge. It's sad but the truth.

Most likely the compilation will also be on Spotify and may get a listen from people who don't want to figure out which of the many other albums to pick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 pm 

VEGETARIAN MENU
A Little Green Rosetta
Almost Chinese
Baked-Bean Boogie
Call Any Vegetable
Chocolate Halvah
Cream Cheese
The Duke Of Prunes
Electric Aunt Jemima
Florentine Pogen
The Jelly
Jelly Roll Gum Drop
Junier Mintz Boogie
Kaiser Rolls
Muffin Man
No, No, Cherry
No Waiting For The Peanuts To Disolve
Peaches En Regalia
Soup 'N Old Clothes
St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Suzy Creamcheese
The Voice Of Cheese
Watermelon In Easter Hay
Won Ton On
Would You Like A Snack?
W-P-L-J

MEAT LOVER'S MENU
Bacon Fat
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
This Town Is A Sealed Tuna Sandwich
Lumpy Gravy
Latex Solar Beef
The Legend Of The Golden Arches
Lobster Girl
Lonesome Electric Turkey
Marque-son's Chicken
Cruising For Burgers
Duck Duck Goose
Jewish Princess
Easy Meat
German Lunch
The Gumbo Variations
Uncle Meat
Things That Look Like Meat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:34 am 

I got here through Son Of Cheep Thrills and Have I Offended Someone?
At the time of FZ CDs being sold, it was not uncommon to pay an unholy amount of over 20 euros for an original vinyl that wasn't much more than forty minutes in length. I bought SOCT to learn more of this guy Larry LaLonde was such a big fan of. When I got a CD-voucher I decided to buy Zappa to expand my collection and came home with HIOS.
It took me a while to get into that, but at some point I was such a fan of Valley Girl (having just been in a girl only class, which is horrific) I asked for Ship for St Nicholas, got it, loved it and was off to a merry collection I play in full at least once a year.

So yeah, these kinds of collections do help, especially with an artist whose work is as massive and as varied as FZ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:13 am 

Everything to one side, that's is one awful cover art, who makes these things?
Say what you like about the Ryko compilations all the covers and packaging looked professional.
I could do better then this and i know nothing about design, truly hideous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:35 am 

Is this better? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:48 am 

That looks like a decent introductory sampler. Alas it will have no sale value for this fan unless your planning on doing a HiFi release in 24bit 192KHz mastering and both a vinyl and SACD or bluray audio release.

The reason is that I already have those recordings in my collection.

Still if the new listener is the intended target audience then all is well and I think it's a slightly more perfect compilation than 'Strictly Commercial'.

I'd agree that the cover could possibly use something a little extra to really sell the album. While Franks personal use of cigarettes has never bothered me, just having a cigarette on a cover can turn some potential buyers off. Just saying to assist with sales as I really wish more people would listen to Frank Zappa's music and request it on radio stations all over the world.

As for the digital download only generation, all I can say is that the tide is turning, albeit slowly. Vinyl sales are making a nice come back and more and more people are understanding the joy of high quality audio releases. A lot of people think that an MP3 is all they need until you let them experience some of there favourite music from a decent source and with good hifi equipment. Instantly they learn to there horror that they have been listening to a watered down version and enjoy the higher quality. The biggest trouble is the exact same issue even Frank Zappa mentioned. Many people have never really heard true quality sources. He mentioned that there's a generation of people who have never heard a real drummer and drum kit being played on an album. So many have digital rhythm machines and people don't even notice. So to with high quality audio. Once you experience it, you'll love it and that's what changes the tide. Downloading high quality audio takes a lot longer than mp3's and putting an album on, is way faster and provides many levels of quality greater. The main issue is affordability of decent hifi high quality stereo and surround sound systems.

It's worth a try but for the hard core fans out there like this one, we really want more previously unreleased material or completely new masterings of previous recordings in high definition audio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:34 am 

The Strictly Commercial comp is what got me into Zappa which was released 20 years ago. The last compilation I remember being released was The Best of FZ about 10 years ago, which was basically a copy of the previous. I think a new comp every 10 years is reasonable in order to attract new fans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:15 am 

mistrijah wrote:
Say what you like about the Ryko compilations all the covers and packaging looked professional.

To each their own. I like the photo. It might be the only reason why I would want to own it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:37 pm 

KUIII wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

To each their own. I like the photo. It might be the only reason why I would want to own it.

yes but you are already a fan, it's not aimed at you or me, FZ understood the importance or packaging, you may like it, i also like the picture,
but as a cover of an album designed to attract new listeners it's crap. The last few ZFT album covers have all been cheap Photoshop efforts (and not much effort was used)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:50 am 

tiboudre wrote:
The Strictly Commercial comp is what got me into Zappa which was released 20 years ago. The last compilation I remember being released was The Best of FZ about 10 years ago, which was basically a copy of the previous. I think a new comp every 10 years is reasonable in order to attract new fans.

Way to go and so very happy you discovered the great music of Frank Zappa through this compilation. For the record I think it's a great compilation, it's just that I already own all the tracks on that album and therefore it doesn't pose any value to a hard core Frank Zappa fan.

I agree 100%. There has to be some NEW album out in order to attract a new audience because ultimately Frank Zappa albums sell out and need to be replaced. Stock doesn't last forever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 am 

This release is going to make a great gift/conversion tool.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 am 

mistrijah wrote:
KUIII wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

yes but you are already a fan, it's not aimed at you or me, FZ understood the importance or packaging, you may like it, i also like the picture,
but as a cover of an album designed to attract new listeners it's crap. The last few ZFT album covers have all been cheap Photoshop efforts (and not much effort was used)

Not only that, but some of those covers were quite kitschy (Trance-Fusion, wtf? FZ even in his worse would never ever approve anything like that). Quite shame, because I always liked cover art of most FZ albums released during his lifetime, and even things like Orchestral Favorites were to me more appropriate, comparing to most of the ZFT cover art. Is ZFT having some issues with Cal Schenkel, so he can't design FZ album covers anymore, or what's up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:36 am 

it would have been great if it has previously unrealesed versions of some songs and or 12 inch dancing, or 2016 new remixed version. also suprised you will see 24/192 HD tracks album versions any day now

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:32 am 

mistrijah wrote:

because THAT is what is important.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 pm 

KUIII wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

+1

If it helps Universal, good deal. I will get those 6 discs out October 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:21 am 

I hope they won't count this in the official count.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 am 

I almost purchased Strictly Commercial and Best Of FZ way back when I was first getting into Zappa. I'm glad I didn't. Instead I got Apostrophe, Sheik Yerbouti and Hot Rats all at once.

This release looks rather odd. Some of the tracks and order are pretty great but I just don't think newer or upcoming fans will be enthralled with Valley Girl and Cocaine Decisions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 am 

There are probably some 80's culturephiles out there who will like "Valley Girl." I agree "Cocaine Decisions" is a quirky choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 pm 

Max67 wrote:
I hope they won't count this in the official count.
None of the Ryko compilations are listed in the official count. I'm pretty sure the only reason Mothermania, Have I Offended Someone? and Understanding America are in the official count is because FZ produced them himself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:01 am 

Nothing for me here, but I'm such a mark I'll pick it up for completeness sake. It would be nice if these comps had single version/mixes that differ from the albums, but I don't see anything stating such?