Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jon Poole Covers Zappa
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:05 am 

Who the F ??? ???K is Jon Poole....<br><br>I don't know, but when reading the Dutch music-magazine Oor today, i read a review of the following album:<br><br>Jon Poole - What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body ?<br>    ''The works of Frank Zappa Circa 1965-1969''<br><br>This Jon guy is from an English group called the Cardiacs, and in the summer of 1994 he recorded (ALONE) 16 FZ tracks on a 4 track recorder with the use of just his voice,guitar,drum-machine and a DX7-synthesizer...<br><br>Amongst the recorded tracks are Uncle Meat, Peaches En Regalia and Let's Make The Water Turn Black...<br><br>Kinda cool, and i wonder what it sounds like, since he does it all by himself and Frank used quite some musicians and overdubs to record his original tunes.<br><br>Does anyone know this man, or this record ???

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:35 pm 

Nope! But funny you should mention that album! I saw that CD in town yesterday. I didn't buy it though because I thought the same thing. Who the fuck is Jon Poole????!!????

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:14 am 

Jon Poole is a genius... he was Cardiacs guitar player in that fantastic awesome band that was Cardiacs, their magnum opus from 1995, Sing to God, is highly recommended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxhuQWKwbqY

This is the Zappa cover project, free to listen on bandcamp...
https://randomjonpoole.bandcamp.com/album/whats-the-ugliest-part-of-your-body-the-works-of-frank-zappa-circa-65-69

Some background info...

These recordings were recorded by Random Jon Poole in the first half of 1994 following the devastating news of Frank Zappa's passing. A grieving 24 year old Jon Poole wanted to pay tribute to the great man and his music and set about making recordings that he hoped may introduce a new audience to Frank's music. He decided on covering the early years of Zappa's career for no other reason than this is the era of Franks material that Jon had most recently discovered the joys of before hearing of Zappa's passing. He'd already been a fan of Frank's output from '74 onwards for a good 9 years. He set about recording these tributes in the most primitive manner, on a Fostex 4-track cassette machine in his old teenage bedroom in his parent's house. Despite the primitive recording facilities used, this album has a surprisingly large amount of clarity and sparkle and picked up good reviews on its release some years back - yes, these recordings did make it out as an independent release for a short period of time but have long been lost until now. Due to popular demand here it is in downloadable form. NOTE: This is only available as a download and there are no plans to make this available as a physical CD.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am 

Sterbus wrote:
Jon Poole is a genius... he was Cardiacs guitar player in that fantastic awesome band that was Cardiacs, their magnum opus from 1995, Sing to God, is highly recommended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxhuQWKwbqY

This is the Zappa cover project, free to listen on bandcamp...
https://randomjonpoole.bandcamp.com/album/whats-the-ugliest-part-of-your-body-the-works-of-frank-zappa-circa-65-69

Some background info...

These recordings were recorded by Random Jon Poole in the first half of 1994 following the devastating news of Frank Zappa's passing. A grieving 24 year old Jon Poole wanted to pay tribute to the great man and his music and set about making recordings that he hoped may introduce a new audience to Frank's music. He decided on covering the early years of Zappa's career for no other reason than this is the era of Franks material that Jon had most recently discovered the joys of before hearing of Zappa's passing. He'd already been a fan of Frank's output from '74 onwards for a good 9 years. He set about recording these tributes in the most primitive manner, on a Fostex 4-track cassette machine in his old teenage bedroom in his parent's house. Despite the primitive recording facilities used, this album has a surprisingly large amount of clarity and sparkle and picked up good reviews on its release some years back - yes, these recordings did make it out as an independent release for a short period of time but have long been lost until now. Due to popular demand here it is in downloadable form. NOTE: This is only available as a download and there are no plans to make this available as a physical CD.

You beat me to it Sterby... CARDIACS. That album is so friggin awesome and well done with such grotty equipment (which helps make it awesome).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:23 am 

Simply amazing!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 am 

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26897&p=710956&hilit=cardiacs#p710956

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:09 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26897&p=710956&hilit=cardiacs#p710956

Except for Zappa and Egg - Cardiacs are the only other band that blew my face off in a ridiculously short time - now my 3rd favorite band ever.