Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:43 pm 

I really want to like it, but even after repeated listenings - IN THE CAR!! - it just doesn't seem very good. I owe a lot to Dweezil for what he's done to keep FZ's music going, but.... [sigh]

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:53 pm 

^I've only heard clips of songs, so far.

It's probably the vocals, right?

Almost every time that I don't like someone's new 'sound' on their current album, It's usually the vocals.

Order this if you don't already have it.

It's a superb instrumental album.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:49 am 

Does Dweezil still sing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:14 am 

BBP wrote:
Does Dweezil still sing?

He sings nearly the entire album. With the vocalists he has at his disposal, not sure why he insisted on singing auto-tuned lead vocal, I guess I just expected something different. Loved the Go With What You Know album, but this was...different than I expected. The 2 instrumentals are the highlight for me. I also enjoy the vocal tunes, On Fire, Nothing and Billionaire's Son. The Malkovich track is great except for the chorus vocals. I wish there was an instrumental version of the album available, I would enjoy it much more I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:06 am 

zappahead311 wrote:
BBP wrote:
Does Dweezil still sing?

He sings nearly the entire album. With the vocalists he has at his disposal, not sure why he insisted on singing auto-tuned lead vocal...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:24 am 

He's a terrible singer, at least on this one. And the lyrics are vapid. The apple falls far from the tree.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:26 am 

funny, I didn't have to try hard at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:55 am 

Musician Dweezil Zappa Responds to Photographers About His Strict Contract

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/02/musicia ... -contract/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:44 am 

That link you post sort of fits in with the discussions on the DZW site previously.

Has there really been no person whatsoever telling Dweezil that his vocal stylings are just... not good enough to sing the lead?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:48 pm 

Most people don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:35 am 

He doesn't sing on Automatic and only sings once on GWWYK (that song left my sister traumatized). He had the right idea...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:36 pm 

It's not just the singing. Even his guitar work is listless. imo. I never would've expected that after being onstage for the last 10 years he'd play such flawlessly uncreative parts on his own songs. His chops are to die for, truly. But that's not even half the battle.

And the writing is just really sophomoric, not in a good way either.

I do love the Dweeze tho, for preserving Franks music so well. That trumps it all, Donald.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:46 pm 

I haven't heard it yet though I plan to get it. Dweezil has never been a good singer. I think Dweezil's a little bit if a control freak that works against him. He doesn't seem like a guy who could easily collaborate with others that might yield interesting results. I've always liked his solo albums (Z too) though. I'm still looking forward to hearing this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 pm 

BBP wrote:
That link you post sort of fits in with the discussions on the DZW site previously.

Where ? Link please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:10 am 

His arrogant behaviour in response to Poly's thread about not playing his own music with ZPZ, also his arrogant response in regards to the André/bodyguard incident and his arrogant response to one certain fan by confusing him with another fan while nitpicking on his spelling errors and being arrogant all over the place. I don't care enough about DZ to read his site, and if he's anything like his mom he'll have those topics removed, but I remember these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 am 

I remember that,it was posted about five years ago.
Dweezil don't post much anymore,members of DZW are lucky to see one or two posts a month,if that.
No more Thursday blog either,looks like he's too busy with other social sites rather than his own site.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:06 am 

I personally wanted an "out there" album, not the case.
Unlike RN, I think the guitar work on the album is great.
The amount of times the words her and she appear are mind boggling.
The one thing about Dragon Master I enjoy is that it's the only collaboration between FZ & DZ.
Some of the album is obviously DZ's attempt at pop music.
It's not a horrible album, it's not as good as I wanted it to be, which is my fault. Everyone should give it a spin at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 pm 

How would I know if I like Dweezil's last album? Is it possible to hear it somewhere online?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 am 

zappahead311 wrote:
it's not as good as I wanted it to be, which is my fault.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
DWEEEEEZ!!??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Maroual wrote:
How would I know if I like Dweezil's last album? Is it possible to hear it somewhere online?
Try buying it, shittard.
Sorry, but there is no reason why I would blindly buy an album from DZ.
I listened to Automatic, GWWYK, and the family contribs on the AAAFNRA series and did not particularly enjoyed them.
I bought the ZPZ DVD after having attended an astonishing show from the first tour with DZ, Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai and Napoleon Murphy Brock.
Then the second tour's show I have attended was good, and the musicians really skilled, but this is not the kind of emotion I expect from a musical performance.
Don't hit me but to me the dragonmaster teaser sort of sounds like a sophisticated mixture of RATM and Valley Girl.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm 

I like DZ for his efforts with ZPZ - they have never let me down, and I look forward to see them in a few weeks. Always great musicianship and so fun to hear this music live.

As for his new solo record, there is a long teaser video on the DZ site. I usually think I have ok skills in terms of concentration and patience, but it honestly bored me that each song had to be explained in gruelling details. When was it composed? Why was it composed? Who inspired it? Why was it recorded now? What particular odd time signatures were used? Who is featured on it? How does any of this relate to FZ? And so on and so on and so on. After 10 minutes, I had heard tons of material and read a small book. It was massive. It was diverse. But it felt so contrived. It didn't catch me on any level. Sure, he is a good musician, but he could really need a tough producer he respected the hell out of. Any collection of music that comes with an instruction manual should honestly be looked upon with some reservations.

Judged from the presentation it appears as a pale attempt of doing what Steve Vai did with great success with Flexable 30 years ago: Make the Zappa inspiration and diversity work perfect together (and do it so well that you ocasionally get away with abysmal singing).

I, the twat, will now go fuck myself, and get killed in a fucking busfire while also attending a liberal fagfest. :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 am 

HJ wrote:
I, the twat, will now go fuck myself, and get killed in a fucking busfire while also attending a liberal fagfest. :smoke:

Ok, but please do it with dignity. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:38 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
No matter how hard I try, Dweezil's album leaves me flat.

yet another deflated fan :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 am 

HJ wrote:
I like DZ for his efforts with ZPZ - they have never let me down, and I look forward to see them in a few weeks. Always great musicianship and so fun to hear this music live.

As for his new solo record, there is a long teaser video on the DZ site. I usually think I have ok skills in terms of concentration and patience, but it honestly bored me that each song had to be explained in gruelling details. When was it composed? Why was it composed? Who inspired it? Why was it recorded now? What particular odd time signatures were used? Who is featured on it? How does any of this relate to FZ? And so on and so on and so on. After 10 minutes, I had heard tons of material and read a small book. It was massive. It was diverse. But it felt so contrived. It didn't catch me on any level. Sure, he is a good musician, but he could really need a tough producer he respected the hell out of. Any collection of music that comes with an instruction manual should honestly be looked upon with some reservations.

Judged from the presentation it appears as a pale attempt of doing what Steve Vai did with great success with Flexable 30 years ago: Make the Zappa inspiration and diversity work perfect together (and do it so well that you ocasionally get away with abysmal singing).

I agree with this, i have always thought DZ would be a good player in a band other than his. You know kinda like Vai a stunt guitar player for hire.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 pm 

Hi,

I'm wondering if he is kinda "stuck" thinking he has to do dad's style, or someone else's, in order to be able to be himself.

At this point, if it were me, I would probably do a folk songs album just as a way to get out of the idea that DZ has to be something else that he is not, kinda thing.

Anything he does, with an electric guitar is going to get smashed and compared ... and he doesn't stand a chance, unless the music is so different and out of line with what he is doing, that no one can even think/wonder ... what in the heck is all this ... which would be the best thing that ever happened to him.

I would like to tie him up to a chair and play for him 2 things ... Amon Duul 2's YETI, the long title cut, and then several pieces from Terje Rypdal's EOS album ... so DZ might gain some more appreciation for what his instrument can do, that might help him get out of that copy mode. Anything he does is ... a copy ... kind of thing.