Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: DMT liner notes.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:29 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
The nuts 'n' bolts

Thanks for the transciption, this song has had me woundering for many years.

In defence of Gail's notes, I can't see anything wrong with them, in fact I've always enjoted the way she writes. Love trying to preseve something from extiction, apt, as we are living in the greatest extiction period in the planets history.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:39 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Call me whatever but I think Gail's notes are the most moving notes I've ever read by her. I get where she's coming from. They're hardly cryptic or surreal, she's talking about loss and what follows in its wake.

NuclearProstate wrote:
... spew shit onto paper ... utter load of bollocks ...
Beyond sad.

I'm with you on that one. I havn't been here for a while and come back to this sort of........, somethings don't change.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:45 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Here's my liner notes

Possibly Randomly
At times it's sort of like the audio equivalent of hurling buckets of paint at a blank canvas. Wolf Harbor , for example, is random sounding, mostly percussion sounds. At one point it sounds like some sort of plumbing nightmare. Clogged toilets trying to flush. Clogged bodies trying to flush. Samples gone wild. Pachuco Gavotte has hilarious key changes with an end result that is possibly jarring. I would describe Goat Polo and Rykoniki as highlights. The track Piano meanders a bit. The first half sounds like FZ programmed, possibly randomly, a bunch of high 32nd notes or whatever with longer low notes. It sounds not unlike Cecil Taylor if he was a machine. Calculus is the last song. It's not too unlike Goat Polo. The title track is glorious. The really really good stuff.

Sounds like your listening for people who can't hear and writing for people who can't read.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:09 pm 

Fingthish wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Call me whatever but I think Gail's notes are the most moving notes I've ever read by her. I get where she's coming from. They're hardly cryptic or surreal, she's talking about loss and what follows in its wake.

NuclearProstate wrote:
... spew shit onto paper ... utter load of bollocks ...
Beyond sad.

I'm with you on that one. I havn't been here for a while and come back to this sort of........, somethings don't change.

Me too. I just sat down and quietly read the booklet and was affected emotionally by it all. Gail spoke to me and I now understand, at least from an emotional standpoint, why it might have taken so long for this to come out.

I think it takes a lifetime of living to really feel pain. I also think that truly feeling has redemptive power.

Gail, thanks for taking the risk to write those notes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43 pm 

Fingthish wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Here's my liner notes

Possibly Randomly
At times it's sort of like the audio equivalent of hurling buckets of paint at a blank canvas. Wolf Harbor , for example, is random sounding, mostly percussion sounds. At one point it sounds like some sort of plumbing nightmare. Clogged toilets trying to flush. Clogged bodies trying to flush. Samples gone wild. Pachuco Gavotte has hilarious key changes with an end result that is possibly jarring. I would describe Goat Polo and Rykoniki as highlights. The track Piano meanders a bit. The first half sounds like FZ programmed, possibly randomly, a bunch of high 32nd notes or whatever with longer low notes. It sounds not unlike Cecil Taylor if he was a machine. Calculus is the last song. It's not too unlike Goat Polo. The title track is glorious. The really really good stuff.

Sounds like your listening for people who can't hear and writing for people who can't read.

Why? If you're gonna put me down you should be a little more clear. It was an accurate expression of my thoughts. Where was I inaccurate? You didn't hear toilets flushing? Piano doesn't meander? PG does not have key changes? Goat Polo is not a highlight? The title track is not glorious?

Explain or fuck off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Explain or fuck off.

Ha, this should be on the forum's coat of arms. In Latin of course.

Exponere Aut Efutue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:44 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Explain or fuck off.
Ironic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 pm 

^Not really.