Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: frank sliding
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:12 am 

Is that Frank doing slide guitar on can't afford no shoes?
Sounds like it to me.
If so, anymore sliding frank?
TT

Post subject: Re: frank sliding
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:12 am 

Thanks to the esteemed member who provided this info.
"Q: Do you ever play slide guitar?
FZ: No, but I do have a fretless guitar, and I'm pretty good on that. At one time Acoustic manufactured a fretless guitar, they made a prototype and tried to interest people in it, but nobody wanted it. So the prototype ended up at Guitar Center. I walked in there one day and asked them if they had anything new, and they said, "Have we got one for you!" And they brought out this thing, and it was really neat, so I bought it for $75. The only restriction was they had to take a chisel and some black paint and scratch off the word "Acoustic" on the headpiece, because Acoustic didn't want anybody to know that they had made such a grievous error as to make a fretless guitar. I've put a Barcus-Berry on that, too, and I send the magnetic pickup to the left and the Barcus on the right The thing that sounds like a sllde guitar on "The Torture Never Stops" is actually a fretless. It's also on "San Ber'dino" and "Can't Afford No Shoes" (both from One Size Fits All). It's different than a regular guitar; you don't push the strings to bend them, you move them back and forth like violin-type vibrato, which is a funny movement to get used to. But you can play barre chords on it - it's fun."
End thread......
TT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:03 am 

The fretless guitar is also in "Down In De Dew."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm 

deuce wrote:
FZ: No, but I do have a fretless guitar, and I'm pretty good on that. At one time Acoustic manufactured a fretless guitar, they made a prototype and tried to interest people in it, but nobody wanted it. So the prototype ended up at Guitar Center. I walked in there one day and asked them if they had anything new, and they said, "Have we got one for you!" And they brought out this thing, and it was really neat, so I bought it for $75. The only restriction was they had to take a chisel and some black paint and scratch off the word "Acoustic" on the headpiece, because Acoustic didn't want anybody to know that they had made such a grievous error as to make a fretless guitar. I've put a Barcus-Berry on that, too, and I send the magnetic pickup to the left and the Barcus on the right The thing that sounds like a sllde guitar on "The Torture Never Stops" is actually a fretless. It's also on "San Ber'dino" and "Can't Afford No Shoes" (both from One Size Fits All). It's different than a regular guitar; you don't push the strings to bend them, you move them back and forth like violin-type vibrato, which is a funny movement to get used to. But you can play barre chords on it - it's fun."
End thread......
TT

Thanks, great! Does anyone have a photo and did he play it onstage?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 am 

I don't think he ever played it onstage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am 

Patrick O'Hearn played a fretless bass with Frank. It would have been cool to see the two of them playing with their frets off...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:20 am 

is there a picture of the guitar not being played on stage?
TT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:30 am 

While changing strings, Frank mentions a fretless Strat and says we're gonna hear it in a minute. (audio only - 1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLKP04qJTg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 am 

http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=history

Here's a page about fretless guitars although I don't know if it has a photo of the one Zappa used in the 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:13 am 

is there a picture of the stage?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:45 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
While changing strings, Frank mentions a fretless Strat and says we're gonna hear it in a minute. (audio only - 1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLKP04qJTg

Don't sound fretless though at 6.25min that is slide for sure which is pointless on a fretless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:24 am 

deuce wrote:
End thread......
TT

That is awesome, thanks for posting that.