Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dance Me This - #100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:43 pm 

I really love Monkies, rarely listen to CPIII, don't like more than half of Broadway the Hard Way, but adore the LSO stuff and, like poly, love UM. It is personal taste and FZ produced an enormous canon, A lot to digest.

I am working on DMT, I found it challenging, It likely will never be played as much as, say Waka/Jawaka.

It is a lucky thing to be a Zappa fan...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:40 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
The first time for 22 years that I got the feeling I'm listening to a real new Zappa sound. Great and sad at the same time.

Wolf Harbor is only interesting in parts. But the rest is great. Like it. Sorry. :mrgreen:

No need to be sorry. I like it too!

I just find it sad. I mean ,one of the great things about Frank was that you never knew what he'd be up to next. Now, as I said before, here is this "new" release,.....that "should" have come out in the 1990's. For me......it's just that when CPIII showed-up I thought, "Wow, now if Frank put more 'live' sounds in with this synclavier it would make it even better.",....then I listened and though "Oh well, we'll never know what would have been next." Then a few years ago(probably more like over 10 years...) I found reference to Dance Me This.....and saw that it was just what I'd wished for.....a mix of synth and live voices and guitar too.

So,here we are listening to something so "time delayed" in release that it's effect on fans is dulled. Plus, this must have been the first ,small step in a new direction for Zappa.....if he survived? Could you imagine what he could have made next? Maybe another Uncle Meat like extravaganza!? To me that's what makes me sad,....and makes me not listen to this as repeatedly as I would have say in "1990-whatever-the-date". Here is the last step Frank Zappa made ,and I AM grateful to finally hear it.

But what I never thought was that in my mind this would just make me miss Frank all the more,.....and ,so, I must get over that feeling. Then, maybe, I can listen and not just think of "what ifs"?

We are lucky that Gail didn't just shelve this ,and we'd have to search for crappy bootlegs to hear. It must hurt for her in a way too.

I still feel the "hole" left in my life by Frank's passing.....he added a bit of risk and daring to my listening ,and anything else he did/touched too. No one can equal him.....although Dweezil and Ahmet together came a bit close (Dweezil for his guitar work,Ahmet for his mad humor, a cool mix).

I sure wish I could hear what Frank Zappa would have done next....after Dance Me This! But....here's what's the deal we're dealin' in......and so it ends. It's a good listen......but......those "what ifs" are a kill joy. ...."sigh"....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:54 pm 

I wholeheartedly agree!
It is so hard sometimes to listen to some of his works...
And those photos!! Eghad! That's painfull!

Watermelon in Easter Hay kills me!
WE MISS YOU FRANK......YOU BIG DUMMY!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:39 pm 

Still not arrived. No email or fuck all yet, even though I paid musictoday.com via PayPal on 20th April after the preorder mail from the barfies.

Sort it Gail.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:53 pm 

I like it quite a bit. One of the better posthumous releases I've heard (Buffalo is my favorite of those).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 pm 

It's been a long time since I've been on this site, way back to Issac's rabid dog days, I still read 20 minutes for a pick me up occasionaly. This is the album I've been waiting for and it remindeed me of what Frank had to say about history and that is the "when" something happens is just as important to the why something happens. This album would have been great with 1995 ears coupled with Transfusion and Civ 3 but thats' just a shoulda, I'm thankful I can order it now and no doubght I'll cast my mind back to compare it with other stuff that was around to place it in the when and come to the all to obvious conlusion as to why bother because Frank was an audio pioneer.

I don't know where I was going with this and I know I'm speaking to the converted so it's a waste of finger muscle but what the hey, this album has been on my all time want list for a long time and now I have a bit of trepidation in ording it becasue it's been this thing in my head of almost mythical proportions and to finaly have in my ears! I read somewhere that as sort of a bet or a dare or more than likely as a " I wounder if we can do this?" Todd tried to come up with an algorithm that would match the harmonic overtones of the Tuven throat singers, that alone is worth the entry ticket!

No dought when I'll get it I'll be living on planet Zappa for a while and I'll have to contend with people that still think the Earth is flat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm 

All this "what if" conversation leads me to believe it would not have been a surprise if Frank had gone the direction of other writers and been involved in Movie and TV sound tracks, Lost Episodes helps lead me to that conclusion...:idea:

Just thinking out loud... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 pm 

polydigm wrote:
One of the core things I've always liked about FZ's music, almost from the beginning of my interest in him as a composer, is epitomised in the Uncle Meat album. A plethora of styles of music all segued together in an elaborate tapestry. A rock and roll tune followed by a music concrete interlude into a doo wop tune followed by some free form jazz and then into an extended guitar solo followed by some jazz rock into some mock renaissance and so on.

Civ III doesn't do that for me and neither do the LSO albums. Monkeys definitely doesn't do it and now neither does DMT. There is some really interesting music on all of those albums but I can't listen to them all the way through. Lumpy Gravy and Yellow Shark are exceptions. They may have more of the serious stuff but there's a lot of "melodic" stuff in them as well. I often listen to them all the way through. They have a much better listening balance to me than the other "serious" stuff.

I totally agree. I find the serious stuff too tedious, it would have been interesting to see how would have it been if he mixed the "serious" stuff with the "comedy" stuff, just like in his early carrer. Maybe then I would appreciate a lot more the synclavier music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:33 am 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

imagine the sanzini brothers prancing about to Pachuco Gavotte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 am 

Baby_snake wrote:
Still not arrived. No email or fuck all yet, even though I paid musictoday.com via PayPal on 20th April after the preorder mail from the barfies.

Sort it Gail.....

NOW THAT'S FUCKIN' SERVICE. IT ARRIVED THIS MORNING!!!!!

*expect my thoughts on it in 2017 or something

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm 

Calling this stuff serious music does a disservice to the (m)other music. Pachuco Gavotte is about as serious as Lonesome Cowboy Burt. Wolf Harbor is more serious than Muffin Man? Hmmm, no fooling. I mean, is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Is that serious music or is it played by a synclavier?

One time, I can't provide a source, FZ said, "so called serious music", and that made me feel better about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:13 pm 

@Downer: You don't make communication very easy. You have to make it personal: somehow I'm doing a disservice to the other music. I basically think what I've been trying to say about DMT as compared to the majority of his core albums is pretty obvious. Similar feelings apply to FTMAMM. I don't particularly like the moniker of "serious music" either, but it seems there are people here who'd prefer to have a go at the way I express myself, rather than actually try and understand what I might be getting at. The fact remains, in terms of listening, there are a lot of dense harmonies and atonal ambiguity in there that just get a bit much after a while when that's almost all there is.

Dance Me This: Easy listening - I like it
Pachuco Gavotte: Repetitive, not particularly musical
Wolf Harbour I - V: Heavy going, but really interesting
Goat Polo: Kind of musical (one person's musical is another person's private hell), I like it
Rykoniki: Repetitive, somewhat more musical than Pachuco Gavotte
Piano: Growing on me, possibly my favourite track on the album
Calculus: A bit of fun, I guess - I like it

The centre piece of the album is Wolf Harbour, almost 28 minutes straight of "Varèse" like music. I really like Vàrese's music, but only in small doses. With WOIIFTM, for example, I really like Chrome Plated Megaphone Of Destiny and how it fits in with the rest of the album as a total listening experience. I would find it very hard to maintain interest in an album full of Chrome Plated Megaphone Of Destiny type tracks.

It comes down to taste I guess, I mostly enjoy listening to albums like Roxy And Elsewhere but also listen to Yellow Shark fairly often. I didn't expect DMT to be anything more than it is. I'm not disappointed - I really had to have it.

My three favourite ZFT releases are Roxy by Proxy, EIHN and Road Tapes 2 if that gives some idea of my taste in music.

FZ was hemmed into a very limited set of circumstances by his progressing illness, I certainly wasn't expecting DMT to be a Lumpy Gravy or Uncle Meat type extravaganza. I worked through my disappointment in 1994. I still find it sad, but I moved on a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:59 am 

Poly, I was not referring to anything you said or thinking about you in any way when i made that last post. It was not personal at all. Were you under the impression that you originated the phrase "serious music" to describe zappa's synclavier stuff? :wink: If i want to make it personal I will quote you or at least mention your name.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:03 pm 

@Downer: I used the word several times in my "report" about my first listen here. Brainpang decided to have a shot at it and I assumed you had also read it.

Initial comments about DMT by an ageing misanthropic buffoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 am 

I haven't got DMT yet, but I am intrigued by the speculation that Wolf Harbor is a reference to Wolf River Harbor here in Memphis. I find it a little far fetched that our little polluted river made such an impression. What is his connection? Most rivers that flow through cities have some degree (often a large degree) of pollution. I don't really remember Wolf River getting major headlines (or any headlines). I know he played downtown venues here when he came through, but having lived downtown and worked on Mud Island (back in the 80's) I never noticed any smell from the harbor. Not saying it doesn't smell, it does; but you have to be down on it, in it up close.

Maybe I'll "ask Gail" for clarification. I'm curious.

Post subject: re: dance me this - #100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 pm 

bracton wrote:
...having lived downtown and worked on Mud Island...
are there mudsharks around mud island ¿

there's a motel in memphis tennesee called the edgeharbor inn ... the edgeharbor inn
is built out on a pier, so that means that when you look out your window you don't
see any dirt, it's got a harbor or something out in your backyard ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:27 pm 

Will be ordering DMT soon here, since I couldn't attend a ZPZ show to get it. Can someone post what the promo code is to get the 15% off order? I'm already on the Barfko mailing list, yet I never got the promo code in any email.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:22 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Will be ordering DMT soon here, since I couldn't attend a ZPZ show to get it. Can someone post what the promo code is to get the 15% off order? I'm already on the Barfko mailing list, yet I never got the promo code in any email.

it was just a pop up window when one went to the page. no code. just plug in yr e-mail. it may no longer be on offer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:00 am 

Well, I put up and ordered DMT at the end of july. Nothing in the mail. No message. So I go to Barfko and learn that my order was "Cancelled". WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Well, I put up and ordered DMT at the end of july. Nothing in the mail. No message. So I go to Barfko and learn that my order was "Cancelled". WTF?

Are you a heavy drinker?
8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:35 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Are you a heavy drinker?
8)

I live in Bordeaux, France for christssakes!!! Of course i'm a heavy drinker! However......is there something I should know?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:12 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
is there something I should know?

YES.

the thing about irish writing is it's a kind of "vanishing mediator" with phonetic writing.
the tonal intonation of the irish language resonates the lower organs which harmonizes and releases the lower emotional blockages.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:01 am 

Je vous aime moi non plus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:23 am 

je vous aime moi non plus too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am 

penguini wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
The first time for 22 years that I got the feeling I'm listening to a real new Zappa sound. Great and sad at the same time.

Wolf Harbor is only interesting in parts. But the rest is great. Like it. Sorry. :mrgreen:

No need to be sorry. I like it too!

I just find it sad. I mean, ......."sigh"....

Thanks Penguini .... I agree to everything you wrote :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next