Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DMT liner notes.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 pm 

Enjoying the album so far including the entirety of Wolf Harbor which seems to have had a lukewarm reception overall here at best.

BUT one thing that bugs me a bit is GZ's liner notes. Did she over think them? Over write them? Or just spew shit onto paper? It all seems like an utter load of bollocks to me and doesn't seem to have a coherent point.

Maybe I shall read them again tomorrow when I'm not tired from work and needing bed.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Last edited by NuclearProstate on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DMT liner notes.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:06 am 

*whip it out joke*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:39 am 

What did you expect, exactly?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:41 am 

punctuality isn't everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:50 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:

BUT one thing that bugs me a bit is GZ's liner notes?

Firstly I'll politely state that I find your commentary disrespectful to not only the composers intent, but the lengths at which Gail goes to to help protect, not only his work, but other endangered living things and artists works.

While Frank Zappa did not write Gail Zappa's Liner notes, Gail has been steadfast, to the utmost degree, in protecting the composers intent. Instead of dissecting and responding to your questions, I can only ask that a person ask themselves where they came from and what lengths they are willing to go to so as to to help protect what is important to them.

I was born in Brooklyn, NY and have lived in NYC my entire life, so conceptually, some thoughts come to mind. So I'll gladly use the Official Release #80, Frank Zappa Buffallo's liner notes as a beginning point. While I have seen many live Frank Zappa concerts, unfortunately I was unable to attend the October 25, 1980 concert in Buffalo, NY. Not that close to 400 miles from NYC to Buffalo was the obstacle to enjoy the live music, but more pointedly it would not be until my 18th Birthday in December 80' that I would be able to drive to Zappa shows. Getting your license on your 18th birthday is the soonest you can get it here in NYC. Before getting my license it was trains to The Palladium and Nassau Coliseum. But that was just to see the music live. Music Is The Best deserves to live for eternity.

So in so in speaking of the live, or life, maybe the endangered Flora native to New York State deserves a little attention. If a person wants to be concerned about protecting anything from the Fingered Lichen to the Nodding Pogonia, from my perspective that too is of deserved energies.

I think this should be enough for conceptual understanding. I have hopes that we all take the time to adhere to the Good Will Nature, where each in our own way, protect what the Zappa Family Archival Material In Living Ylem is.

BTW, Gail Zappa's liner notes on Dance Me This is glorious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:08 am 

trend, your problem with nuclear having an opinion has nothing to do with NY.
or your birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 am 

on one level it was nice to see the emotional side of Gail. On the other it simply didn't register, the analogies not adding up. But I don't know what motherly love is, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:08 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Did (s)he over think them? Over write them? Or just spew shit onto paper? It all seems like an utter load of bollocks to me and doesn't seem to have a coherent point.

This could apply to one of the responses here too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:18 pm 

Enjoying the thread so far including the entirety of NPs post, which seems to have had a lukewarm reception overall here at best.

BUT one thing that bugs me a bit is trendmongers notes? Did he over think them? Over write them? Or just spew shit onto paper? It all seems like an utter load of bollocks to me and doesn't seem to have a coherent point.

Maybe I shall read them again tomorrow when I'm not tired from work and needing bed.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

TT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Firstly I'll politely state that I find your commentary disrespectful to not only the composers intent, but the lengths at which Gail goes to to help protect, not only his work, but other endangered living things and artists works.

While Frank Zappa did not write Gail Zappa's Liner notes, Gail has been steadfast, to the utmost degree, in protecting the composers intent. Instead of dissecting and responding to your questions, I can only ask that a person ask themselves where they came from and what lengths they are willing to go to so as to to help protect what is important to them.

I was born in Brooklyn, NY and have lived in NYC my entire life, so conceptually, some thoughts come to mind. So I'll gladly use the Official Release #80, Frank Zappa Buffallo's liner notes as a beginning point. While I have seen many live Frank Zappa concerts, unfortunately I was unable to attend the October 25, 1980 concert in Buffalo, NY. Not that close to 400 miles from NYC to Buffalo was the obstacle to enjoy the live music, but more pointedly it would not be until my 18th Birthday in December 80' that I would be able to drive to Zappa shows. Getting your license on your 18th birthday is the soonest you can get it here in NYC. Before getting my license it was trains to The Palladium and Nassau Coliseum. But that was just to see the music live. Music Is The Best deserves to live for eternity.

So in so in speaking of the live, or life, maybe the endangered Flora native to New York State deserves a little attention. If a person wants to be concerned about protecting anything from the Fingered Lichen to the Nodding Pogonia, from my perspective that too is of deserved energies.

I think this should be enough for conceptual understanding. I have hopes that we all take the time to adhere to the Good Will Nature, where each in our own way, protect what the Zappa Family Archival Material In Living Ylem is.

BTW, Gail Zappa's liner notes on Dance Me This is glorious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:02 pm 

deuce wrote:
Enjoying the thread so far including the entirety of NPs post

what did you expect, exactly?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:09 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Gail Zappa's liner notes on Dance Me This is glorious.

'Nuff said. Maybe all you need is an editor. :idea:

:lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:26 pm 

What a cluster fuck.

What did I expect? Maybe notes on the music and production and why Frank was making music for a dance group. The lengthy time it has taken to arrive to us today. I don't know. Something else.

I'm pretty sure Trendmongoloid wrote those notes on behalf of Gail. Maybe he killed her and is sat in UMRK right now in a suit made from her skin fingering her pussy that is sat over him wishing Frank was balls deep inside him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:44 pm 

I don't know how FZ did that synclavier stuff. It's seems tedious as hell to me, but he liked that stuff so it must have been rewarding to him. I haven't got DMT yet, so I can't comment on the liner notes, but I suspect there as messed up as Trendy's musings are to get such a negative response.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:49 pm 

I was gonna type them up for you but to be honest it would be better for you to get the album. Open it up an enjoy the art, photographs and packaging. Spin the disc and listen away and after read the notes and make up your own opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I was gonna type them up for you but to be honest it would be better for you to get the album. Open it up an enjoy the art, photographs and packaging. Spin the disc and listen away and after read the notes and make up your own opinion.

It's gonna be awhile before I get that one, I've still too many to catch up on newer formats and remastered ones. It's FZ music, but the packaging is all ZFT = GZ's anyway. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:11 pm 

They are typical GZ liner notes, and personally more interesting than what Trendmonger spewed. We can still see your chin, so I don't think your head is far enough up her ass yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:09 am 

GZ's liner notes are ridiculous as always, but also kind of cute and touching. They remind me of the sweet little face on her avatar here.

Trendmonger's attempt at a gentlemanly defense is just plain idiotic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
GZ's liner notes are ridiculous as always, but also kind of cute and touching. They remind me of the sweet little face on her avatar here.

Trendmonger's attempt at a gentlemanly defense is just plain idiotic.

Ya got the nail on the head there DCB. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:34 am 

For the folks who haven't seen the GZ section of the liner notes

My story here is one of many converging love stories. It is not important as to how it began or who the characters are. But for those of you who mark time by other means than your heart or your foot, let's begin in 1993. The year that claimed the lives of two men, one very young, both way to young to be a loss to us all. They have in common enormous legacies, both Artists, both Masters. The one revealed through journals, the other, music. They have given all of us whose hearts have been touched by their profound influence, boundless joy and a conspiratorial sense of wonder. We are in this together and they have created so much to share. And they have inspired at least two people who have acted through remarkable love stories of their own. The first is the mother of Dan Eldon. The second is the son of Frank Zappa.

When I first saw Dan's journals - held them in my hands and felt the weight of their significance in documenting his ideas and his own existence on this planet - Kathy put them in my hands and told me how she planned to introduce them in a book. Their spines are about one-tenth the width of the books outer edges stacked, so filled are they with Don's words, drawings, photos, observations, found objects, humor. The Journey is the Destination. I have been witness to the transformation of her own life through her love for her children, examining her son's self-imposed life mission and the incredible success of her own creative mission through activism, and I am so grateful to her for permission to include Dan's Elephants. Zappa Plays Zappa is a feat no less inspired. To expose the audience and the opportunities for the Composer's intent and the music itself to be heard the way the Composer created it. And Dweezil's own mastery of his prodigious taland through his deep dive into his love for his father and his music.

Kathy Eldon, Dweezil Zappa. Oh the lenghts they go! They lick 30 tigers every day. It is one thing to get a book published but quite another to build a community around activism through art. And the guitar for some is taller than Mount Everest. Thousands have scaled it but few are the ones who live in that atmosphere and call it home. You take only what you can carry and only that which sustains you.

And why am I telling you this? Because when I first saw Dan Eldon's Elephants I knew this drawing was the cover for Dance Me This. The title of what is now FZ's 100th album is an admonition by FZ himself. Show me how it moves through you. As if. As if it were a dance contest on FZ's stage. But it isn't. It is exactly as FZ left it more than 20 years ago. When digital was raw and unwieldy. And the aeons were closing for him. In his vision for a staged presentation for modern dance he discribed how he wanted to represent Wolf Harbour (do the research on this place which really does exist): Groups of dancers side by side would hold long rolled out lengths of black trash bags (think Hefty) and "wave" them at waist (waste) height to signify the dark and murky polluted waters of sludgy Wolf Harbour.

Dance Me This.

And may we all do everything possible to ensure that Elephants will always be dancing here on our home planet.

--gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:44 am 

I think they're really nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:41 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

You're such a contrarian :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:42 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

You're such a contrarian :wink:

No I'm not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:21 am 

I'm ok with it, but I also think an in depth narrative about the where, when's, and why's and also the nuts and bolts of the work would have been ideal... :smoke: