Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: zappa on spotify
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:37 am 

[quote=

Spotify agrees to the deals they make with the labels - SO - they are also part of the the RIP OFF. Spotify can easily refuse to make a deal that doesnt compensate the artists properly... BUT DO THEY? NO. So fuck that bullshit you just tried to rationalize. Business assholes will continue to keep the money on both sides. Just not the artist one.[/quote]

Not really, the rights holders are the labels not the artists, the artists signed the rights to the labels, spotify can't do a deal with the labels then turn round and say excuse me what do you plan to do with all that money which just gave you? That would be stupid, I sell my music directly to spotify not via a label and they do not pay the ridiculous amounts i hear people say, a million plays was $50 and all those lies we hear. How is it spotifys fault if they are paying the labels and the labels are not paying the artists? That is to do with the contract the artists signs with the label. I am not sticking up for spotify but I am stating a fact, they pay the labels massive amounts of money, the labels do not pay the artists (or choose to may them tiny amounts), the labels are at fault here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm 

^ The "artists" signed a contract. Presumably not at gun point but it's always a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:36 am 

Obviously the rights holders are the labels. I dont disagree with the label not paying the musicians their due.

My point is this - and I wouldnt get any deals made - and I'm sure its not this simple - but I would say hey record label... we aint making a deal unless you agree to pay a certain percentage to your artists - or we dont do business. Ya... an idealist approach - but this is why I point a finger at Spotify - they got their end covered - they can make gobs of money - fuck what happens on the other end of the equation. Hands washed - drops mic. THAT is not cool - and not ethical in my view. But hey - that's my opinion. The whole thing needs more work thats for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 am 

At long last Crux and President are now of spotify in the UK, that just leaves Quad and Halloween which are not not there for obvious reasons, hopefully one day we will have 200 motels as well. In the mean time hope that the 6 Halloween 77 shows will be added in due course as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5