Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I wonder if in the Vault there's a decent recording of that concert.

Presumably the multitracks that FZ and Lennon both used still exist.

Ah! But how do we get to them,seems to be the question.Yoko or Gail? That's a tough pair to draw to.

Oh crap.... you never got your copy of the keys to the vault, Kapt Kirk? Soooooo sorry about that! :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:10 pm 

^ :mrgreen: ^ I always loose my keys anyway! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am 

The $600 that Zappa generously volunteered to pay to The Union in order to perform an encore in 1971 had the same purchasing power as $3,550 in 2016. This amount is obtained by multiplying $600 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1971 to 2016. 8)

FZ: I'd like to tell you something. I'd like to play an encore for you. But we have a union problem in this house. We have to leave the stage at exactly that time, or it's gonna cost another $600 for us. We'd have to pay $600 to play for you. I would like to say this: I'll be happy to pay $600 to play for you. We're gonna do an encore now.

We'd like to dedicate this part of our program to the union men who are sitting backstage counting their overtime money.

And also to the people who make up those kind of rules and keep 'em inflexible so that you can't really work with the thing. You know what I mean?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:34 pm 

It's one of the few areas that FZ comes off look stupid and petulant. Yes Frank, people work for a living and they have a start time and an end time - and expect to get paid for their time. Not everyone can be a composer/musician/artist creating their own work or performing for people. Most of us do boring or difficult jobs and would rather be somewhere else. Sometimes Frank spoke like he and his work was the only thing that existed in the world. Everyone else existed just to service his needs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:24 pm 

Max Lobster wrote:
It's one of the few areas that FZ comes off look stupid and petulant. Yes Frank, people work for a living and they have a start time and an end time - and expect to get paid for their time. Not everyone can be a composer/musician/artist creating their own work or performing for people. Most of us do boring or difficult jobs and would rather be somewhere else. Sometimes Frank spoke like he and his work was the only thing that existed in the world. Everyone else existed just to service his needs.

I'm not sure this is the case. What do non-union states do when a concert goes over? I haven't heard of them charging more. But it's something I'm not really educated about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:36 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Max Lobster wrote:

I'm not sure this is the case. What do non-union states do when a concert goes over? I haven't heard of them charging more. But it's something I'm not really educated about.

Unions overcharge when curfew is broken in many cities, especially in NYC, where it's the absolute worst. In fact, this is one of the reasons why FZ couldn't stand most unions and wasn't able to record several shows because of it. And I'm glad FZ brought this to our attention...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:42 am 

Disco Dumbass wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Max Lobster wrote:

Unions overcharge when curfew is broken in many cities, especially in NYC, where it's the absolute worst. In fact, this is one of the reasons why FZ couldn't stand most unions and wasn't able to record several shows because of it. And I'm glad FZ brought this to our attention...

Oddly enough, members of these particular unions, the ones that rip people off, are Trump supporters/endorsers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/busi ... nions.html

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/07/469462350 ... -democrats

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/labor ... le/2573359

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/02/trump ... snt-happy/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-2 ... -incredibl

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 3210a43c6e

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 pm 

Tweedle-Dumb-Diane-Bean-Counter wrote:

Debatable at best. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 pm 

The point is why should anyone be expected to work for free or forced to work past quitting time? Sure you or I would have volunteered Those people working at the hall - that's there job. That night it was FZ - next night could be Nana Mouskouri or Ukrainian folk dancing. Sure you or I would have volunteered to work that day but the staff were likely not interested in FZ so to stay late for free seems unrealistic. FZ wasn't going to get his way and he was annoyed, well sad to say but the world didn't revolve around Frank and he should be smarter than to act all petulant. FZ tended to lack empathy in these matters.

Sure glad he recorded that night though - love this set.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am 

Disco Dumbass wrote:

Only debateable in your "alternative fact" based universe. The evidence proves otherwise. There' is no debate in reality. You probably didn't bother to even check one single link I posted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
The $600 that Zappa generously volunteered to pay to The Union in order to perform an encore in 1971 had the same purchasing power as $3,550 in 2016. This amount is obtained by multiplying $600 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1971 to 2016. 8)

FZ: I'd like to tell you something. I'd like to play an encore for you. But we have a union problem in this house. We have to leave the stage at exactly that time, or it's gonna cost another $600 for us. We'd have to pay $600 to play for you. I would like to say this: I'll be happy to pay $600 to play for you. We're gonna do an encore now.

We'd like to dedicate this part of our program to the union men who are sitting backstage counting their overtime money.

And also to the people who make up those kind of rules and keep 'em inflexible so that you can't really work with the thing. You know what I mean?
I say Zappa was "generous" because he didn't have to play those last 15 minutes. The Persuasions opened with a 30-minute set, followed by Zappa's 3-hour set. He could have easily stopped there, and most of the audience would have gone home satisfied they had seen a full show. Or, maybe, Zappa wanted The Mud Shark on tape . . .or, maybe, he really was "happy to pay $600 to play" an encore for the fans.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 pm 

Only debateable in your "alternative fact" based universe. The evidence proves otherwise. There' is no debate in reality. You probably didn't bother to even check one single link I posted.

You don't even LIVE in reality. So fuck off.

Max Lobster wrote:
The point is why should anyone be expected to work for free or forced to work past quitting time? Sure you or I would have volunteered Those people working at the hall - that's there job. That night it was FZ - next night could be Nana Mouskouri or Ukrainian folk dancing. Sure you or I would have volunteered to work that day but the staff were likely not interested in FZ so to stay late for free seems unrealistic. FZ wasn't going to get his way and he was annoyed, well sad to say but the world didn't revolve around Frank and he should be smarter than to act all petulant. FZ tended to lack empathy in these matters.

Sure glad he recorded that night though - love this set.

No one said or implied that people should work for free. So your 'point' is moot. The REAL point is made by FZ when he makes it clear how idiotic unions are, especially when they overcharge...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:22 am 

Delusional Trumpanzee wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

....in other words, you still got nothing. Nothing debateable about how delusional you are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

No one said or implied that people should work for free. So your 'point' is moot. The REAL point is made by FZ when he makes it clear how idiotic unions are, especially when they overcharge...

Your characterization of "overcharge" is erroneous. It's not overcharging when it is in the signed agreement and labour laws. So if the agreement is that building staff works until a certain hour and anything beyond that is a certain charge, then that's the charge - it's not an overcharge. The contracts are signed, the agreement is made. If you want the staff to waive the charge or you get bitter about the signed agreement being enforced - then yeah, someone expects people to work for free. Who knows maybe security stopped a potential Trevor Howell that night - that would have been $600 well spent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

....in other words, you still got nothing. Nothing debateable about how delusional you are.

This coming from someone who's almost never correct about a damn thing.

Max Lobster wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Your characterization of "overcharge" is erroneous. It's not overcharging when it is in the signed agreement and labour laws. So if the agreement is that building staff works until a certain hour and anything beyond that is a certain charge, then that's the charge - it's not an overcharge. The contracts are signed, the agreement is made. If you want the staff to waive the charge or you get bitter about the signed agreement being enforced - then yeah, someone expects people to work for free. Who knows maybe security stopped a potential Trevor Howell that night - that would have been $600 well spent.

It's an overcharge...

This is a song about the union, friends
How they fucked you over and the way they bends
The rules to suit a special few
And you gets pooched every time they do

You know we gotta stick together
(People we gotta stick together)

Once upon a time the idea was good
If only they'd a done what they said they would
It ain't no better, they's makin' it worse
The labor movement's got the Mafia curse

Don't be no fool, don't be no dope
Common sense is your only hope
When the union tells you it's time to strike
Tell the motherfucker to take a hike

(Ray: Have a good thing . . . )
(Ike: You gotta stick, you gotta stick, yeah . . . )
(Ray: I paid my union dues)
(Ike: And my benefits ran out the other day, yeah . . . )
(Ray: Say I'm gonna buy me a Japanese car)
(Ike: I gotta need, yeah, I have a need)
(Ray: Talkin' 'bout manic!)
(Ike: But things on the supply side ain't too good for me today)
(Ray: I'm going to Tokyo, y'all)
(Ike: I know you told me I gotta be at the end line)
(Ray: Detroit turned into an awful cold town)
(Ike: Unemployment line, unemployment line)
(Ike: I wanna know, I wanna know, I wanna know, yeah . . . )
(Ike: Oh yeah . . . )
(Ray: Said my check was in the mail . . . )
(Ike: Get in the line!)
(People we gotta stick together) (Ray: Talkin' 'bout supply-side economics, y'all)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:22 pm 

Embarrassing lyrics. a rare misfire by FZ.

and quoting lyrics is not a real counter, so - ya got nuthin'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

Max Lobster wrote:
Embarrassing lyrics. a rare misfire by FZ.

and quoting lyrics is not a real counter, so - ya got nuthin'

You're joking, right?! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm 

the joke is a grown man taking the lyrics to "Stick Together" as gospel. Unfortunately FZ decided to focus on how unions on occasion, made recording or performing a bit too expensive for him, and decided to trash all unions and union members. Ham-fisted to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 pm 

Max Lobster wrote:
the joke is a grown man taking the lyrics to "Stick Together" as gospel. Unfortunately FZ decided to focus on how unions on occasion, made recording or performing a bit too expensive for him, and decided to trash all unions and union members. Ham-fisted to say the least.

On occasion?! ROTF! :mrgreen:

You're totally missing the point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68