Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am 

Music is not to be understood. It is to be felt. Says the great White Wizard.

But still... Until the end of this month we are commemorating the anniversary of the recording of Hot Rats, a legendary Zappa album...

Some can't really grasp why it is so important. But it was a major music applied technology (one of the earliest 16 track record ever) breakthrough in all genres at the time.

It is still ahead of it's time still today and will endure as one solid piece of musical work for years to come...

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:28 pm 

Nuts! It's a nice album :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:04 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

But still... Until the end of this month we are commemorating the anniversary of the recording of Hot Rats, a legendary Zappa album...

Some can't really grasp why it is so important. But it was a major music applied technology (one of the earliest 16 track record ever) breakthrough in all genres at the time.

It is still ahead of it's time still today and will endure as one solid piece of musical work for years to come...

Are you talking about the original vinyl version or the 1993 (remixed) cd version?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:25 pm 

Some of the best stuff Zappa ever did; the third album I obtained in my collection process. Absolutely love it...

I have seen all your lying,
And crying, and dying,
And, believe me,
YOUR planet is NOWHERE!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 pm 

mmmm...... Hot Rats......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:59 pm 

is the reissue LP the same mix as the CD or the original LP? I haven't played mine yet - am thinking to keep it a virgin LP for collector purposes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 am 

It's a great collaberation with Underwood.
I took my vinyl along with me when I bought a new hi fi a couple of years ago as a tester. Never got bored of the opening of Peaches

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:20 am 

Still the finest album EVER made, as far as I'm concerned. I prefer the CD mix to the vinyl mix. Frank had some good solos prior to this but his soloing AND technique really shot to a whole new level here.

It would be tragic if this album doesn't receive a 40th Anniversary release...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 pm 

Will the original vinyl mix ever be re-released? It should be available for those of us who want it.

Post subject: re: hot rats re-issue
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 pm 

clinikillz wrote:
Will the original vinyl mix ever be re-released? ...

yes, a few months ago ... jump on it: classic records to reissue hot rats from original tapes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 am 

Quote:
... a movie for you ears.

I always loved that line...

Quote:
Underwood plays the parts of eight or ten musicians, playing complicated sections of piano and organ, as well as woodwind parts including multiple flutes, clarinets and saxophones.

Insane!

Quote:
"It Must Be a Camel" is also an intricately arranged tune with numerous wind and keyboard overdubs by Underwood. The tune contains a very unusual melody which often makes large melodic leaps. The title of the piece may come from the fact that these melodic leaps resemble "humps" when written on paper.

Weren't we discussing this, about the title, here somewhere? I've always assumed it was because of the cigarette brand... Hilarious!

Quote:
While Zappa was recording Hot Rats in Los Angeles, The Beatles were working on their Abbey Road album at EMI's soon to be famous Abbey Road Studios in London. By comparison, The Beatles were limited to 8-track technology.

Haha!

Quote:
Zappa used the most advanced recording equipment available to create an album of outstanding technical and musical quality for the time. The album was recorded on what Zappa described as a "homemade sixteen track" recorder which was custom built by the engineers at T.T.G. Studios in Hollywood in late 1968. The machine was also moved to Sunset Sound in Hollywood and Whitney Studios in Glendale, California as needed. It was not until early 1969 that Ampex Corporation completed their MM-1000 design and put the first 16 track audio recorder into mass-production. The 16-track technology was far more sophisticated than the usual 4 and 8-track productions of the era. The additional tracks made it possible for Zappa to add numerous horn and keyboard overdubs by Ian Underwood. Only a few musicians were required to create an especially rich instrumental texture which gives the sound of a large group.

16-track technology also made it possible to create a very realistic "full stereo" drum sound for the first time on a rock album. The standard in that period was to mix the entire drum set to a single (mono) track of an 8-track recorder, but on Hot Rats four of the 16 tracks were assigned to the drum kit alone, including individual tracks for the snare and bass drums, along with "left" and "right" tracks for other drums and cymbals. In this setup, the engineer had unprecedented control over the volume of each component in the drum set during the final mix. This recording technique did not become the norm on pop music recordings until 16-track and 24-track recorders became common in the early 1970s.

Zappa pioneered the use of tape speed manipulation as a technique for producing unusual timbres and tonal colors. On "Peaches en Regalia", "Son of Mr. Green Genes", and "It Must Be a Camel", Zappa plays "double-speed percussion." After completing basic tracks of drums, bass, guitar and piano, etc. recorded at the fast speed (30 inches per second) of the multi-track recorder, Zappa played additional drum overdubs while listening to the basic tracks at half speed (15 ips). On the finished recording, played at normal speed again, these overdubs are heard at twice the usual speed and pitch, making them sound like toy drums and giving them a surreal, comical quality. Zappa's earliest music lessons were in drum techniques, long before he decided to make the guitar his main instrument.

Other instruments were processed in a similar way, including keyboards, saxophones and bass. Zappa is also credited with "octave bass" (a bass guitar sped up to double speed)—the resulting sound is similar to that of a guitar. Additionally, a processed electronic organ was integrated as an orchestral voice within an ensemble of woodwinds and piano. "It Must Be a Camel" features the sound of a hard plastic comb being stroked, sounding almost like a jerky, audio slow-motion bell tree or wind chime. All of this was done with analog technology more than 10 years before modern digital sound processing equipment became available.

Very Os Mutantes approach, lol... I always wanted to know what kind of percussion instrument made that "eehoohee" sound on the introduction, ahah very nice to learn it is a comb.

What a great album... I imagine it must have been very exciting working on it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:08 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Quote:
While Zappa was recording Hot Rats in Los Angeles, The Beatles were working on their Abbey Road album at EMI's soon to be famous Abbey Road Studios in London. By comparison, The Beatles were limited to 8-track technology.

Haha!

as great as 'hot rats' is, I still like 'abbey road' more.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 am 

Hot Rats is the greatest lp ever recorded by anyone at anytime...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 am 

Bobby wrote:
Hot Rats is the greatest lp ever recorded by anyone at anytime...

No, it's this:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:57 pm 

as great as 'abbey road' is, I still like 'hot rats' more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm 

frogfog wrote:
as great as 'abbey road' is, I still like 'hot rats' more.

Two of my favorite bands (Zappa of course being number 1), two great albums. I wouldn't usually put one before the other, but because we're discussing the greatest musical wizard of all time, I'd have to give this one to "Hot Rats"...

I have seen all your lying,
And crying, and dying,
And, believe me,
YOUR planet is NOWHERE!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm 

40 yrs ago today

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:08 am 

Peaches en Regalia - Awesome tune. The whole album is terrific. I didn't discover it until about my 25th Zappa album purchase... D'oh! Should have found it earlier. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 am 

50 years, I was told!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:09 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

The statistical density of a solid tends to imply matter that occupies space and time. In where "music is felt" that comment seems far more the fitting analogy. Not to take away from the long standing terminology of "rock solid music" but Frank's music seemingly moves space and time.

Having had the pleasure of previewing a portion of the project at the Zappa offices with Zappa Alumni, family and friends the so called feeling of music is Paramount. I will briefly discuss that and my conversation of that with Ian Undererwood.

In the 6os a thought was that the rythmic structure of Rock and Roll music could make your heart stop or skip a beat. In listening to
Piano Music (Section 1)
Piano Music (Section 3)
Literally my heart stopped. Where I could feel the music and performance move space and time. I am 100 percent confident that I would have felt such listening anywhere. Surely the crowd gathering N'Lightened the overall experience but I have felt similar movement of space and time in music when listening to Eric Satie's Gymnopedies.

Having had a chance to converse with Ian Undererwood before and after hearing the preview lent itself to the concept of how music makes us feel. The previous day speaking of thanks of all hIs contributions and hopes of him joining the alumni at The Whisky A Go Go.

After listening to hot rats preview the following day I was able to talk with Ian again, this time I was able to share the overall concept of how I felt and the reaction to what I had heard of his work on Hot Rats Anniversary project . My heart stopping, similar to Eric Satie's Gymnopedies.

Past, Present and Future came to life. Ian had wondered if a heart stopping from music was a good thing. The comment was made more-so in a joking manner..We are all getting older but as he at first was not seemingly 100 percent sure of performing I feel my discussions with him helped not only nudge him to the live stage but hopes that he can do an entire album of solo piano music of Frank Zappa's works. As we are all getting older I surely hope for a full CD worth of solo Ian performing FZs music.

Hot Rats is the Alfa and Omega of a genre of music. Ian Undererwood solo piano performances on this project is a most unique listening experience within the entire catalog. Similar things do happen throughout the catalog but this is unique of performance. Unique in the mentioned unedited piano works and the feeling in the music. The rings of a golden latter to the heavens. Yes, a stairway to heaven.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 am