Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blessed Relief
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:25 pm 

My current fave track is, yes you've guessed it, Blessed Relief. But I've got a question, did Frank write the solos for the instruments that he didn't play, or did he let the musicians kinda do their own thing, within reason? This question doesn't just apply to this track. I mean as a general rule what did he do? <br>The only reason I ask is because I was asked, and I didn't know the answer!!

Post subject: Re: Blessed Relief
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:47 pm 

You can tell which part is written and which is improvised in most of Frank's tunes.<br>Most of his tunes containing a solo are structured in such a way that after the exposition of written themes (or in between) a vamp is established with the purpose of soloing on top of it. Then, if Frank lets someone else show his own chops, the solo itself is always improvised.<br>I guess that during the rehearsals FZ made sure that every soloist had well clear that the feel of his solo had to match the tune he was supposed to solo in.<br>Regarding BR, I love this tune. All three solos are GREAT and in particular the trumpet solo (marquez?) makes me think that there should have been more, since 2 of the best "solos from other musicians on FZ records" were trumpet solos (the other being W. Fowler on MAJNH Black Napkins).

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:54 am 

Thanks Mikah. Personally I'm a big fan of the keyboard/piano solos on the F.Z tracks that have them, and I've often wondered whether it's the genius of Frank or the player himself that I'm listening to(or should I say losing it to?). But you're right, I've never been so turned on to a trumpet than in an F.Z track!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:50 am 

Oh, if you're specifically talking of George Duke's solos, I bet they are improvised. <br>That funky feel is Duke's trademark.<br><br>Maybe in the 80's there can be some confusion, for example:<br>does anybody know for sure if the keyboards break (can we call it a solo?) at the end of the Baltimore arpeggio was written by FZ or it was thrown in by Mars and then stayed forever?<br>It sounds like a Mars' outcome but the fact that FZ kept it there even after Mars left makes me think it was actually a written part...

Post subject: re: blessed relief
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:08 am 

the solos don't sound scripted, maybe multiple takes if frank took exception to portions, but for the most part they sound like improvisations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 pm 

mikah wrote:
...I guess that during the rehearsals FZ made sure that every soloist had well clear that the feel of his solo had to match the tune he was supposed to solo in...

use to wonder why this tune didn't become more of a standard, seems relatively straightforward enough; intro/theme/solos/theme/outro, steady simple rythym, flows right along...a few versions on youtube prove it's not as easy as it sounds, nobody comes close to the getting right feel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm 

Whenever I have to play quiet piano music during cocktail hours, I always throw this one in because it works so well "in disguise" as a standard.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:12 am 

Mikah wrote:
Oh, if you're specifically talking of George Duke's solos, I bet they are improvised. <br>That funky feel is Duke's trademark.<br><br>Maybe in the 80's there can be some confusion, for example:<br>does anybody know for sure if the keyboards break (can we call it a solo?) at the end of the Baltimore arpeggio was written by FZ or it was thrown in by Mars and then stayed forever?<br>It sounds like a Mars' outcome but the fact that FZ kept it there even after Mars left makes me think it was actually a written part...

Mars improvises in this part. On the DHBIM? CD version from after he left, there is just the composed part with no solo over it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 pm 

Classical Composer Reacts to Blessed Relief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:13 pm 

^Nice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:01 pm 

^^^I like these... :!:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:10 am 

I'm not always a fan of these videos, but Doug does a good job. It's more of a music theory reaction video to Blessed Relief.

https://youtu.be/LiKXQokQJA4