Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:34 am 

Civ Phaze III is traditional "Christmas season" (Zappadan, really) listening for me, but in the past few years I feel like it's only gotten more relevant.

Obviously, I'm talking politically and sociologically (blah blah)...sorry (does this place even have) mods! But, for a long time, even critics who claimed to be sympathetic to FZ would talk about how Civilization Phaze III was "obviously dated" etc because of it's synth sounds...imo it sounds more relevant than ever to the work of folk like FlyLo ("You're Dead!") and Western art composers (like Heiner Goebbels, and younger folk) who are more openly indebted to FZ.

Just wondering, since it seems like in the first decade this beautiful thing existed everyone was already willing to consign it to the grave---do you listen to it often? When you do does it strike you as a relic of it's time, or as relevant?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 am 

FeralCats wrote:
(does this place even have) mods!

you rang?

actually, let's get down to some business.
i like your style, feral. truth be told, i have not perused your back catalog too thoroughly (yet?),
however, so far so... let's just say - i am seeing flying colors-esque potential within your input.

having said that, i would enjoy taking the time to respond accordingly to this vibrant thread, but
(there's always a but, right?)... as of right now, i am up to my collarbone in editing, deleting, and reshaping files.

please give me about a week and a half to come around the mountain.

and i thank you,
mngmnt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:21 am 

It is my favourite Zappa album. With totalitary and nationalist governments lurking around the corner in all corners of the world it has lost none of its relevance, and now that post-apocalyptic settings are en vogue, it might even be fashionable! Ha!

Last year I was lower than usual on Zappa but I play all albums once a year, and Civ 3, like many decent albums, only gets played once a year at Zappadan. In fact CP3 crowns Zappadan for me on December 21st.

I limit my playing of some gold material - I've definitely experienced the shine can be "listened" off music by overplaying it. CP3 is my Special Occasion album.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:46 am 

Civ III remains relevant today if only because it's the last work of the composer. Had he continued to compose, maybe CIV III might be seen today, in the same way as WOIIFTM was considered in 1993, (ie a very cool political/social satire of the hippy movement but not at all relevant to what was going on in society in 93). What is unescapable though, is that since CIV III came out, we have been sucked into a tempest of questionning about our future, not as a society, but as a species. We can only wonder what CIV IV could sound like.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

Irrespective of an answer is really good to have FeralCats back on board...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Irrespective of an answer is really good to have FeralCats back on board...

+1

I'm not big on the relevance tag, I can say that Civilization Phaze III is an enduring favorite in the cave.....